Ethernet/Wirless etc

Hi Guys,

To date I have been using Hog 3's with Ethercores (or DP's at FOH) but am starting to want the ability to do things at stage end, ideally wirelessly.

I am wondering what are the options here, if there are any at all?

I have a Tablet PC, which I currently use for Hog PC. I simply use an Ethernet Cable from the Tablet PC to a DP2000. And it works great.

But I am wondering if it would be possible to use the Wireless Card in the PC to wirlessly do something - and then have something connected to the DP to receive it?

Can anyone advise on their experiences with this area of things?

Cheers
Neil
  • Hi Neil
    A wireless router is the way to go. Buy a good wireless router (you've got plenty of them out there in the market) and you're basically done. Configuration is absolutely straightforward. I've done it hundred times with no hiccups at all. I don't know exactly what your set up is but as far as I can read in your post I reckon you have a hog 3 and dp's. Build your network as you normally do, this time using the router. Start your show with your hog 3 and eventually join your show wirelessly with hog3pc running on your laptop or tablet PC. Remember to set your hog3pc as console number 2.
    You can use the router as a DHCP server or either assign static IP addresses to all your nodes. I normally prefer assigning static IP addresses. I suggest protecting your network with a password to avoid unnecessary data stream in your network.
    Should you need more information, simply search the forum and you'll be prompted with loads of posts with suggestions and tricks on how to set up a wireless network.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
  • take a look at this!
    www.highend.com/pub/products/consoles/tutorials/networking/WirelessHog3PC_with_Router.pdf
  • I don't recommend using a wireless connection between the show server and the DPs. It's OK to join another console (or copy of 3PC) to the show network for remote focus or rehearsals, but for live shows you'll want the reliability of a wired connection.

So, network together your DP2000, a PC running Hog3PC and setup as the show server, and a wireless access point. Then, you can join the tablet PC to the show wirelessly.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the details (and to Marco for his PM).

This all makes a lot of sense!

One thing I remember reading is that the Hog range is only limited to a certain range in IP's ie 192.168.1.x being max, and 192.168.2.x not being possible. Is this right?

Guessing the answer is no, but I wondered if anyone had found any good USB Ethernet gadgets to work on a Road Hog? Or something like it to link it in for remote access, in the case the Road Hog is the only desk on site, and remote access is required....
  • [QUOTE=neil-NSLX;45459]
    One thing I remember reading is that the Hog range is only limited to a certain range in IP's ie 192.168.1.x being max, and 192.168.2.x not being possible. Is this right?

The Hog has no limits on its IP addressing. Any valid IPv4 network configuration will work.

Lots of other equipment puts arbitrary limits on IPs, but not the hog. Many consumer grade router/access points restrict your options. Also, some Art-Net get will only accept certain addresses as well.

[QUOTE=neil-NSLX;45459]Guessing the answer is no, but I wondered if anyone had found any good USB Ethernet gadgets to work on a Road Hog? Or something like it to link it in for remote access, in the case the Road Hog is the only desk on site, and remote access is required....

The Road Hog does not support any kind of network connection (USB or otherwise). If you dig around the control panel, you'll find there's no way to configure a network adapter even if you connect one.
  • Hi Guys,

Many thanks for this.

It works perfectly with the Hog 3 and DP's.

Didn't think there would be an easy option such as a USB device - but know several people on these forums are very much ahead of the game at developing fixes etc for this sort of thing.

Thanks
    N
Related