Brightness of DL3

So I was thinking about this as well. I know there's not really a direct comparison between a moving light and a DL3, but what would someone say is the comparison, if there is, between say a DL3 and a Mac700...or say a DL3 and a VL3500. I'm trying to do some figuring on the best solution to a design.
  • Hi Patrick,
    My guess would be closer to a mac 700.
    A few things to consider would be the type
    of content you intend to use with your DL 3 fixtures,
    the projection surface your using and how you intend to
    use your lighting system.

Best C
  • Thanks man.

Definitely understand what you mean. I'm thinking the best bet may unfortunately be just some moving lights on this one. The content I'd use would be pretty basic...just trying to make a background on a corporate stage. Stage lighting would be steep enough to keep off the background, but I'm not sure it will be worthwhile... As much as I'd love to put them on this show, the nature of it just may not allow for the use of the DL3's easily.
  • Hi,
    DL3 fixtures are great but sometimes overkill if all you are doing is a static flat projection that does not require the Pan/tilt/Cameras etc.Perhaps an axon server or two and standard projector's could be a friendly cost effective alternative?

Just a thought,
    C
  • Maybe I miscommunicated the application. It's a backdrop on a corporate stage...so not a screen. I will be collaging multiple DL3 fixtures, and probably having multiple positions for one or two of them to make a few different looks overall. So thus a stock projector just won't be that solution.
  • Patrick,

It will basically come down to your surface and content. I can put up a DL2 against 575w fixtures with no issues at all (from about 40'). The DL3 will easily hold it's own against 700w fixtures.

The biggest factors:
    Throw Distance
    Surface
    Content

The content you can tweak in the brightness and contrast to push it a little more. The surface can really help or hinder you so choose wisely. Throw distance is what it is...the closer the better (like any other fixture).

I've thrown DL2's from 80' onto facility surfaces (no one believed it was DL2s...they said they couldn't do it) and it read fine in person and on camera...I had to bring everything else down a touch but it can work. It just depends on the situation.

Hope it helps...
  • Hey Jon-

That's a great thing to know. I certainly will be lighting the stage with 750w lekos and I was debating the background in either VL3500's of DL3's. I know there will be a significant difference in brightness, but I'm more confident now.

As far as the content and surface, I can tell you it will be using stock content in this situation; and surface will be white muslin...so very white, very reflective. I think they may be a good fit: now just to convince or coax the budget!

Definitely appreciate the help!
  • Patrick,

I found some of the shots I was talking about - where they hit the contours of the back wall is an 80' throw. The fixtures overhead are VL2K's with MSR700 S/A lamps....
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/The%20Journey_files/DSCF0999.jpg
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/The%20Journey_files/DSCF1020.jpg
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/The%20Journey_files/DSCF0998.jpg

These have Studio Spots and Colors at FULL on the left/right of each screen.
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/Purpose%20Driven_files/Monday_08%200011.jpg
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/Purpose%20Driven_files/Tuesday_08%200075.jpg
    housetohalf.net/Housetohalf/Purpose%20Driven_files/Monday_08%200003.jpg

Now you have some visual reference...keep in mind, these are DL2's, not 3's....the quality and brightness between the 2 and 3 is HUGE!