Pixel Mapping

One big downside I see of buying an Axon is the lack of pixel mapping software within the server...

I see other servers or products on the market such as Hippo critter with this feature and think it is a real shame. I do want an Axon, but I would really like to control things like Colour Web with Axon without the need for external software such as Radlites Pixel Drive. (Can anybody suggest any others by the way..?)

Is it me or does everybody else want Pixel Mapping too? I see this as a major need considering the amount of LED walls and products hitting the industry and the ones which have already proven themselves as workhorses.

Not quite a rant, more of a hint ;)
  • Joe,

You also have to look at the price of the media servers. Yes, pixelmapping would be nice, but when you put Axon up against Catalyst, Hippo, etc. it's better than 2 to 1 pricing. Adding features like this also adds cost.

I personally use external software if I need pixelmapping and just loop it through. If I'm doing a ton of pixelmapping and need the horsepower, I just go to Catalyst or Hippo.

Now...would I like to see pixelmapping in the Axon, absolutely. Can it be accomplished and keep the same low price....I'm not sure.

J
  • Joe,

Keep in mind that AXON was originally created more for use with DL rigs.....both for content "pre-view" and for re-creating DL "looks" on other video delivery systems.

It just so happens that AXON makes a great stand-alone server for many other applications as well.

While pixel-mapping could be useful within AXON, I personally wouldn't place a high priority on it.

There are plenty of other good products out there already for pixel-mapping, such as the RADLite Pixel Drive as you mentioned, or pixelMAD within Catalyst. I'm personally not a big fan of the Hippos at all.

Most LED video delivery systems have pixel-mapping built in. Color Web is an exception, as it is really a DMX LED product in and of itself. If you've got the budget for it, chances are you've also got the budget for pixel-mapping as well.

If AXON is going to move more into the stand-alone media server market I personally think things like support for audio files/playback would be much more useful than pixel-mapping.
  • I agree with Marty....I'd rather see Audio before Pixelmapping (if it ever happens).

But you can't really add in all of this stuff, without changing the basis for the products was "it's the DL-line media server without the projector." It then starts to become it's own entity and you can't build your shows around the "same" system....

It will be an interesting thread to watch and see what other opinions are though....
  • Would either of you kindly enlighten me on exactly how to loop Axon and Pixel Drive. I have just contacted Pixel Drive for a demo and also have TMB looking for other software reccomendations too. However the guy at Radlite says "As in combination with Axon I am not sure ho wit would work out."

So I am hoping the UK sales rep he put me in touch with can help me out..

Considering Colour Web is low resolution, would SDI or S Video out into Pixel Drive work? How would frame rate/speed be affected?

I can completely understand where you are both coming from in terms of price and what the product is for. However, is Hippo not going to end up in the DMLs? So I assume it is going to be the same thing there, except Hippo already has pixel mapping, so it it the other way round.. You could use the graphics engine from a DML fixture to power a video wall couldnt you?

Thanks,
  • If you do, indeed, want to use the Axon as your drive system, then you need a CAPTURE CARD in your Pixel Drive computer. What this capture card is will determine how to get the video into the system. For the most part, you'll need a conversion system to get DVI into S-video or SDI...it all depends on the capture card of the Pixel Drive system.
  • Hmm, can you get capture cards with SDI and S video on? What are we talking about price wise? Or could I go straight DVI into the Pixel Drive system?

Thanks man,
  • DVI and SDI are going to be more expensive.....there isn't much point in such a "high-quality" signal when dealing with such an extremely low-res system as Color Web.

You are much better off going with S-Video. Most computers have S-Video capture ports now anyway, and if they don't capture devices are relatively inexpensive for S-Video.

You will also need a scan converter to go from the AXON's VGA ouput down to S-Video in this case.
  • I would probably get the DVI and SDI ones, purly for the fact that if I want to use a higher res wall, I can.

Thanks Marty!
  • It could be the difference between a few hundred dollars and several thousand for something of quality.......keep in mind that a higher-res wall will almost certainly have pixel-mapping built in already as part of the system.
  • Thanks Marty. I am looking at getting a seperate (but cheapish) pixel mapping computer running RADlite Pixel Drive Pro. I am in talks with thier UK sales rep now. It certainly looks like cool software that I look forward to using.

As for future of the Axon, I would certainly like to see more layers (no more than 6) and Audio support. I think it is a great little server, easy to use and well priced. Its just a shame it is a pain in the rear end for me to get my hands on one in the UK. I cannot just pop to my local rental shop to play with one... because the nearest guy with an Axon is Cormac, in Ireland! I would have to fly one in from mainland Europe if I wanted one.

Regards,