intensity effect overrides new to Hog III

So this is something that has driven me crazy since moving to Hog III, and one of the few places where I really feel they "broke" something with the new OS. Because there are never enough faders, when punting a show one thing I do is record intensity of a group into cue 1 of a cuelist that has other info on it, for example color, for that same group. So I can use the fader to control intensity, the cuelist buttons to change colors. Then on another fader I may do a stack of intensity effects, "slow, med, fast," etc. That way I can easily switch between an intensity effect and regular intensity control on the main intensity control fader.
What is killing me is that now if I change a color while running an intensity effect, the effect will stop running, even if the main intensity fader is down because the new cue has tracking intensity info. On Hog II you could set both faders to use HTP and avoid this, but with Hog III setting a stack of intensity effects to use HTP will disable the effects.
You might think setting the options to 'persist on override' on one or the other or both of the cuelists would fix this: nope. (Not really sure what that option is useful for then...)
The workaround I've come up with is to change the Halt button to Assert, then quickly reasserting the effect after I change the color. But this is annoying to have to do, not to mention disabling the backup functionality of the Halt button.
  • Have tried to change cuelist priority? (effect cuelist priority higher or color cuelist priority lower)
  • changing priority just completely disables the lower priority intensity
  • I have no problem,
    cuelist one playback priority 0
    Cue 1 Full + cyan
    Cue 2 Magenta
    Cue 3 Yellow

Cuelist 2 playback priority 10 + persist on Override
    Cue 1 intesity effect

When cuelis 2 cue 1 is active I can run all cues off Cuelist 2 with out disturbing cuelist 2 effect.

Hope this help
  • Right, but as I mentioned, increasing the priority of one cuelist disables the intensity control of the other. In your scenario I can now change color without affecting the intensity chase, but now have no intensity control via the fader on the color stack.
  • Hey Brooke,

On your cuelist with the Intensity FX....make sure that you knockout any Intensity info from the cues in that list....so there is only FX info there. Then make sure you turn on "Pile-add Effects" under Cuelist options.

Your base-value for the FX will now be whatever your fader position is on the other list.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Thanks Marty, but that isn't quite what I'm trying to accomplish. In your scenario, I would lose the ability to override the intensity effects at will just by bringing up my main intensity fader, indeed I would lose all regular intensity control. That fader would essentially just be for base value control of the effect.
    I'm trying to have one fader that controls regular intensity, another that controls the intensity of the effect. I don't need to adjust the base values of the effect, because using HTP, if I have the main intensity fader up to 50%, and the intensity FX fader to full, the effect will run between 50% and full. Adjusting the main intensity handle adjusts the apparent size of the effect. I can bring either handle up or down without re-executing a cue to control the effect or regular intensity.
    The problem is when I have other info in the main intensity handle (color, position, gobo, anything) changing that cue steps on the intensity effect. Essentially, the root of the issue seems to be the HTP functionality isn't quite fully there (unlike Hog II, I hate to reiterate). It is treating the intensity parameter like LTP instead, though it is set to HTP.
  • Gotcha....OK, ignore my earlier suggestion then.

Try this....it should work:

- Turn off HTP on both Lists
    - Turn on Persist on Override for both Lists
    - Set the priority to the same level on both Lists (0 is fine)
    - On your Color/Full Intensity list put an Assert cueList or Assert Master Comment Macro referencing your other List in EVERY cue (ie: AM 2 or AL 36 and if you have 10 cue then you need it 10 times)
    - Make sure that your Assert Time for the FX List is set to zero.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Two other things you might have to do, depending on how exactly you want this to work is:

1 - On the first List, in Options for "Master ll" select Trigger Cuelist Macro, so that if you hit the "Back" key the Assert fires again.

2 - If you want to use the Color/Intensity List completely separately turn HTP back on for that List only.
  • I just tried this (I've had the same problem for a while) and it works. Thanks Marty.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how does this work? How does the assert macro work with the persist on override?

Thanks
  • I too coming originally from an avo background alway had an issiue with a lack of faders / button knobs for direct access particularly with live festivals where you may not know the band's music and have to busk quite a bit. Before i felt a wing was a must have so u could lay out colour and beam options for busking. I just did a show a few days ago on road hog with 10 fader wing. The show had 7 musicians which took up 7 faders straight away as it is trad music and they all play at different times during the music. The other 3 were taken up by washes and further specials stack. So i was left with will i try and program the whole show or can i busk it?????? Based on an idea of someone else in an earlier forum i did this:
    I made pallettes for positions beams col etc. I then made a line of positions for spots in the list window. First cue was a release Q which released all other positions in that line. Next i had a line with colours for the spots.
    Next line was gobo's / beam looks
    Next line was movement fx.
    Next line was intensity fx again with a release as first line in the list.
    I ran the show with a q list window opened in the right screen. I could directly access a colour for the fixtures without selecting them and selecting a palette. Also a new colour just stomped out the previous colour q which was active. I left in default time of 2 secs for colour but also copied this line of colour q's and pasted to a new line, i opened each colour list one by one and set the back and fade times to zero so i could also bump through colours for faster stuff. The remaining faders i had a few pages of different stuff so i had odd even bumps, a few chases. It all worked out really well for the show which i busked in my normal avo style. I was truely impressed with the console and the touch screens are really responsive and accurate unlike their hog2 predecessors.

N.B. I split the q list window and opened it on second screen and scrolled down a bit to fit in the q's for the washes
  • I too coming originally from an avo background alway had an issiue with a lack of faders / button knobs for direct access particularly with live festivals where you may not know the band's music and have to busk quite a bit. Before i felt a wing was a must have so u could lay out colour and beam options for busking. I just did a show a few days ago on road hog with 10 fader wing. The show had 7 musicians which took up 7 faders straight away as it is trad music and they all play at different times during the music. The other 3 were taken up by washes and further specials stack. So i was left with will i try and program the whole show or can i busk it?????? Based on an idea of someone else in an earlier forum i did this:
    I made pallettes for positions beams col etc. I then made a line of positions for spots in the list window. First cue was a release Q which released all other positions in that line. Next i had a line with colours for the spots.
    Next line was gobo's / beam looks
    Next line was movement fx.
    Next line was intensity fx again with a release as first line in the list.
    I ran the show with a q list window opened in the right screen. I could directly access a colour for the fixtures without selecting them and selecting a palette. Also a new colour just stomped out the previous colour q which was active. I left in default time of 2 secs for colour but also copied this line of colour q's and pasted to a new line, i opened each colour list one by one and set the back and fade times to zero so i could also bump through colours for faster stuff. The remaining faders i had a few pages of different stuff so i had odd even bumps, a few chases. It all worked out really well for the show which i busked in my normal avo style. I was truely impressed with the console and the touch screens are really responsive and accurate unlike their hog2 predecessors.

N.B. I split the q list window and opened it on second screen and scrolled down a bit to fit in the q's for the washes
  • If you don't want to use palettes in live, don't forget that Scenes can be very useful for lot of things that are not using Intensity ;)
  • I think Mark is referring to using virtual cuelists by recording single cues to the cuelist window, not so much using palettes. You're right though, as they are single cues, they could be scenes.
    Would there be an advantage to using scenes rather than cuelists?
  • [quote=a_sezak;36634]I just tried this (I've had the same problem for a while) and it works. Thanks Marty.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how does this work? How does the assert macro work with the persist on override?

Thanks

It is really simple actually....since the two lists are set to the same priority level, one will always "stomp" the other partially unless the underlying list is re-asserted, which is what the macro does for you without having to hit the actual Assert key.

The Persist on Override option simply keeps the list from being "stomped" and released by running it in the "background"....so the Assert Macro essentially tells the list not to run in the "background" but rather inthe "foreground".

Make sense?
Related