DP8000

So I've been hearing about the new DP8000 and how it's art net ready. I'm not sure what means, but someone was telling me that i can address the fixtures from the board itself, is that true? Is there anyone who can enlighten me a little bit?:06:

I googled art net a bit and got really confused. Im a self taught lighting guy if that makes a difference.

Thanks
  • anyone correct me when I'm talking out of my ass, guys...? I'm mostly self-taught, myself... :rolleyes:

ArtNet is an open source protocol -developed by Artistic License- that allows you to send DMX-signal over an Ethernet-network. obvious advantages to this are the low cost and ready availability of UTP cable, as well as the ability to control multiple DMX-universes via one single cable (or even wireless). DMX being limited to 512 control channels per universe and about 100 meters of cable, and with the ever increasing amount of parameters modern fixtures are equiped with, you might need quite a lot of (long) DMX-lines and signal boosters to supply a large rig with control. using ArtNet you can make longer distances to FOH and use a lot less cable to control that same rig. of course, you'd still have to invest considerable funds in the rest of the Ethernet backbone: not all desks are equiped to output Artnet directly, so they might need a DMX to ArtNet convertor, and most fixtures are not ready to receive ArtNet yet, so you'll usually need another convertor (you guessed it: from ArtNet to DMX) on the stage or near / in the trusses.

The DP8000, like its predecesor the DP2000 is basically a module that translates the processes of the Hog3 to DMX512 through an Ethernet (not ArtNet) connection.
    when the DP8000 becomes commercially available, the accompanying software version will allow the RoadHog Full Boar to send ArtNet directly, and the Hog3 to send Artnet through the DP3000.

All this info aside, the answer to your question is:no, Artnet does not (automatically) allow you to remote-configure your fixtures. for that, both the desk (or maybe an alternative software package running on a separate computer / laptop) and the fixture need to be RDM compatible, meaning they'r ready for Remote Device Management.

most fixtures you know are not (yet) RDM-ready. a lot of them never will be either, and some that are are only remotely configurable using equipment by the same manufacturer.

The DP8000 will be a big step forward for the Hog3 system, but it's not the answer to everyone's every prayer, unfortunately :17:
  • [quote=theDutchGuy]DP3000.

You mean DP8000, I presume. Also take a look at this topic: forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=6679. It has art net specs attached to it somewhere. Nice and useful.

edit: added linky
  • Order this book....

Rock Solid Ethernet

Designed for entertainment...by entertainment techs.... It helped me out soooo much a couple of years ago when I first started delving into networking, artnet, etc.
  • [quote=theDutchGuy]The DP8000 will be a big step forward for the Hog3 system, but it's not the answer to everyone's every prayer, unfortunately :17:

How do you figure Erik? I think the DP-8K is going to solve ALL the processing/hardware issues that we have to deal with presently.

While it won't make it H3 the "perfect desk"....the other stuff is all software related.....most which I figure will be implemented over the course of the next year or so.....depending on what priorities the developers have.
  • Marty,

that comment was in regards to the DP8000 not making the Hog RDM enabled, which was kind of what the original question was about. and I did say it wasn't going to answer everyone's EVERY prayer. As good, I'm sure, as the DP8k is gonna be, I don't see it bringing about world peace either...

JXGriffi,

I'll look into that, seems very useful...

Joe,

thanks for pointing out to everyone that I can't tell an 8 from a 3. now I'll have to go and become a soundguy...
  • I think ultimately it will be RDM compatible.....just look at what HES is doing with their single DMX widgets already....fixture firmware upgrades with WinUpdate, and now ECHO are both RDM based.....so I'm going to say software yet again....it would'nt surprise me at all to see a software release someday that allows RDM direct from the desk.....Hard to say for sure, but this is my suspicion.:cool:

[quote=theDutchGuy]thanks for pointing out to everyone that I can't tell an 8 from a 3. now I'll have to go and become a soundguy...

No, no, no....you've got it all wrong ;).....soundguys only count to "2"...because stagehands lift on "3" :D.
  • I've missed so much!

Jon, thank you for pointing out that book. Unfortunately i won't be able to order it anytime soon. I cant afford it. I will look into it though!

The description of the book also mentioned something about ACN? Is that the same as art net, or a completley different protocol?

Im so confused :D
  • [quote=nuublite]The description of the book also mentioned something about ACN? Is that the same as art net, or a completley different protocol?

Somebody correct me if I am talking out of my ***, but yes it is a seperate ethernet protocal. I myself have ordered that book for christmas. Should be a good read, thanks jon for pointing it out to us. :D
  • All,

ACN (Advanced Control Network) is an Ethernet based protocol that promises to become a replacement for DMX. Art-Net is an Ethernet based protocol that provides DMX communication.
Related