ColorMerge Question

dheckler587dheckler587 Registered User
edited April 2006 in HES Automated Lighting
Hey All,

I'm doing a research project for my stage craft class, and I was wondering if anyone knows how the ColorMerge unit actually operates. I already understand it only uses 3 DMX chs. for C, M, and Y. But does anyone know the guts of it, how it works mechanically or anything like that? Any input would be greatly appreciated!



  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2006
    Hi Derek,

    You can check ou this link for more info:

    But basically the thing mixes color the same way a moving light w/ CMY does.

    There are three sets of glass that can be introduced into the optical path in a gradual manner.

    One set removes Red (leaving Cyan), another removes Green (leaving Magenta), and the last removes Blue (leaving Yellow)....Hence CMY color mixing.

    I believe the glass is referred to as "dichroic" because it removes one frequency and lets the other two pass through.

    Any good lighting book will give you more info on how subtractive color mixing works.

    Also since it's glass, the unwanted frequency is reflected. So the glass does not absorb it as heat....whereas a gel does, and that's why gels burn up much more easily (also they are on polyesther instead of glass which doesn't hold up to heat nearly as well.)

    Hope this helps you.
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2006

    The Color Merge mixing module uses dichroic glass filters mounted in guides that are driven by belts along tracks to move them in and out of the optical path.

    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any more specific questions about how or why it works.

Sign In or Register to comment.