Intellabeam DMX channels

Hi,

I just got a couple of Intellabeam 400.
On my Grand MA's profile there are 8 channels, the last one is for the speed. But this speed channel has no effect on the mirror or gobo/color change speed.
On the online manual there is nothing mentionned about the DMX channels.

After searching on Google, some say that there are 8 channels some other 13 channels.

Could somebody tell me what is right. 7, 8 or 13?
  • To get the full usage out of them, you want them in 13 channel mode.

To set them to 13 channel mode,
    Dip switch 3 should be on for channels 1-256, or off for 257-512
    Switch 4 should be off for channels 1-256 or on for 257-512
    5 should be off
    6 should be on
    and 8 should be on

Then just use the normal dmx dipswitch setup for addressing.
    hopefully this makes sense,
    Let me know if anything needs clarification.
    Joshua Wood
  • It didn't help!

I set it for the DMX address 1.
    On the personality dipswitches, switch 3 in On and all the other Off. Like that it works but only in 7 channels. Channel 8 has no effect.

If I set dipswitches 3, 6 and 8 to On as you suggested, I set 13ch (pan and tilt Fine, Color Mode, Gobo Mode, Speed and Control added) according to Grand MA profile, nothing works properly. When I move the Pan, the mirror moves in Pan and shakes in Tilt. Dimmer doesn't respond, Gobos changes when I select the Iris.

I don't know if the fixtures I have really work in 13ch. I can't find anything about it on the internet :(
  • my apologies, I don't know where it could have gone wrong,
    I haven't had problems in the past with them, but it has been a while.
    I would call high end tech support. they should be able to get you going quickly.
    it doesn't sound like the correct fixture mode is being applied.
    There may be some very old ibeams that don't support 13 channel mode without a software update.
    Thats the only thing I can think of.
    Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
  • Don't apology, it was nice that you try to help me.

I will continue to investigate. Anyway, if it works like that it's fine, I like the beam!
  • It's been a while since I addressed Intellabeams, but a little bell is going off in the back of my head, that all switches off may be channel 1, and not switch 1 on. Try backing off your address by 1 digit on the switches and see what happens in 13 ch mode. I'll try to remember to check my docs next time I am in the shop . . . (Just found the doc on the HES site - my memory is correct! For DMX address 1, you set all switches to OFF, quite unlike most others.) I suspect that this will get everything going properly . . .

Oh, and not sure what manual you are looking at, but the doc on the HES site located at:

www.highend.com/pdfs/products/intellabeam400/intellabeam400_led.pdf

clearly has a DMX address to dipswitch chart on the 24th page . . . as well as just about anything else you would want to know about an IB . . .

- Tim
  • Hey tim,
    I did see the manual, but the manual doesn't cover the 13 channel mode.
    That was an add on, that doesn't seem to be included with it.
    If you find it within either the lCD or LED manual, Please tell me where it is, as I looked and didn't find it.
    The last time I needed it, I found it in one of my technical training books from several years ago.
    If you look at page 16, there is no mention of fixture modes really at all, only lightwave or DMX.
    There are actually several different modes for Ibeam, but they all were released after the manual, and the manual was never updated to reflect them.
    Hopefully some day, High end will get around to posting the mode document to the website, but since the Ibeam is well since discontinued, that may be a pipe dream.

As for addressing you are almost definitely correct, even thought the addressing chart is on the back of the fixture, I could see how someone could forget that the addressing mode for High end fixtures tends to differ from other brands.
    Joshua Wood
  • Here's the poop on 13 channel mode. It was published years ago, but I am not sure how or if you could find it on the HES site these days . . . (This actually covers all the extended DMX modes, not just 13 channel . . . ). Hopefully, this is readable, since the forum interface tends to line wrap this stuff kinda ugly. If it's too mangled, drop me a note with an e-mail address, and I'll directly mail it to you. (I also have the doc for the 8 channel stuff too . . . )

- Tim

P.S. - FIrst upload was ugly - for some reason, this board can't seem to comprehend how to leave the spaces in the tables. I have also attached the file to this post . . . as well as the file describing "conventional" DMX modes . . .

=======================================

Extended DMX for the Intellabeam 700Hx

The Intellabeam 700Hx now supports four additional implementations of the USITT DMX-
    512 protocol. These are available as of ML25F Ver 3.04.

The first of the implementations uses 12 DMX channels to allow greater control of
    the Intellabeam fixture for use with any traditional DMX lighting board. The second
    implementation adds one additional channel to the first, to allow for homing of
    individual instruments.
    The third implementation, called extended binary DMX, uses 11 DMX channels in a
    manner similar to the Intellabeams' native protocol. This is intended for use only
    with the newer generation of intelligent control systems, and not for direct control
    from an analog fader or voltage source. Several values in this protocol are bit
    encoded and therefore not suited for direct live control from traditional theatrical
    controls. The fourth DMX implementation adds a checksum channel for greater data
    integrity.

The extended DMX modes are selected using personality dipswitches on the Intellabeam
    fixture, according to the following table:

__________________________________________________________________________________
    | PERSONALITY DIPSWITCH | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
    |==================================================================================|
    | 7 channel DMX | | | On | On | OFF | OFF | | OFF |
    | | | | for | for | | | | |
    | | | | chan | chan | | | | |
    | | | | 1-256 | 257- | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    |________________________|_____|_____|_______|_______|_______|_______|_____|_______|
    | 8 channel DMX | | | On | On | OFF | OFF | | ON |
    | (with speed channel) | | | for | for | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    |________________________|_____|_____|_______|_______|_______|_______|_____|_______|
    | 7 channel DMX | | | On | On | ON | OFF | | OFF |
    | for high resolution | | | for | for | | | | |
    | DMX Boards | | | chan | chan | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    | 8 channel DMX | | | On | On | ON | OFF | | ON |
    | for high resolution | | | for | for | | | | |
    | DMX Boards | | | chan | chan | | | | |
    | | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    | 12 channel extended DMX| | | On | On | OFF | ON | | OFF |
    | (no home channel) | | | for | for | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    | 13 channel extended DMX| | | On | On | OFF | ON | | ON |
    | (channel 13 for homing)| | | for | for | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    | 11 channel extended | | | On | On | ON | ON | | OFF |
    | Binary DMX | | | for | for | | | | |
    | (no Checksum) | | | chan | chan | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |
    | 12 channel extended | | | On | On | ON | ON | | ON |
    | Binary DMX | | | for | for | | | | |
    | (with Checksum) | | | chan | chan | | | | |
    | | | 1-256 | 257- | | | | |
    | | | | | 501 | | | | |

This document is an extension of USING THE USITT DMX-512 PROTOCOL TO CONTROL
    THE INTELLABEAM 700Hx FIXTURE. Refer to that document for basic details of DMX operatio
    n

12/13 Channel Extended DMX
    ==========================

1. Pan high, MSB

2. Pan low, LSB

The first two channels are combined to form a 16 bit value for pan position. The
    full range 0-65535 (0-FFFFh) is used, with 32768 (8000h) as the center position.
    Scaling to fixture resolution occurs in the fixture.

3. Tilt high, MSB

4. Tilt low, LSB

The first two channels are combined to form a 16 bit value for tilt position. The
    full range 0-65535 (0-FFFFh) is used, with 32768 (8000h) as the center position.

5. Color select

This channel selects one of twelve color selections or combinations -OR- one of
    eight spin speeds. The exact function depends on the setting of the Color mode
    channel (6)

6. Color mode

This channels selects one of eight possible modes of operation for the Color select
    channel. These modes are, in order from zero to full:

1. Color, with color change at full speed
    2. Color, with color change at mspeed (tracks speed of beam motion)
    3. Color Scan at full speed
    4. Color Scan with mspeed
    5. Forward Color Spin
    6. Reverse Color Spin
    7. Half Colors, with color change at full speed
    8. Half Colors, with color change at mspeed (tracks speed of beam motion)

7. Gobo select

This channel selects one of twelve gobos -OR- one of eight spin speeds. The exact
    function depends on the setting of the Gobo mode channel (8)

8. Gobo mode

This channels selects one of eight possible modes of operation for the Gobo select
    channel. These modes are, in order from zero to full:

1. Gobo, with color change at full speed
    2. Gobo, with color change at mspeed (tracks speed of beam motion)
    3. Slow Gobo Scan
    4. Fast Gobo Scan
    5. Forward Gobo Spin
    6. Reverse Gobo Spin
    7. Slow Gobo Scan (reserved for future changes)
    8. Fast Gobo Scan (reserved for future changes)

9. Shutter

This function is identical to the seven and eight channel modes. The values are, in
    order from zero to full:

1. Closed
    2. Open
    3. Strobe speed 1
    4. Strobe speed 2
    5. Strobe speed 3
    6. Strobe speed 4
    7. Strobe speed 5
    8. Strobe speed 6
    9. Strobe speed 7
    10. Strobe speed 8
    11. Closed
    12. Open

10. Dim

The dim channel is a full range 8 bit value. Blackout is at 0, Full output is at 255
    (FFh)

11. Iris

The iris channel is a full range 8 bit value. Minimum iris is at 0, Full open iris
    is at 255 (FFh)

12. Speed

The speed channel is a full range 8 bit value. The function is, from zero to full:

automatic speed control (as in 7 chan mode)
    slowest speed (longest time)
    fastest speed (shortest time)

Values between 95% and 99% are best for editing or continuous control such as cross
    fades or trackballs.

13. Home (if selected)

To home fixture, hold this channel at 50% (+/- 5%) for at least 3 seconds.

11/12 Channel Extended Binary DMX
    ================================

1. Pan high, MSB

2. Pan low, LSB

The first two channels are combined to form a 16 bit value for pan position. The

3. Tilt high, MSB

4. Tilt low, LSB

The first two channels are combined to form a 16 bit value for tilt position. The

5. Color

The color channel is bit encoded as follows, this is identical to the color channel
    of the Lightwave fixture protocol.

00shcccc cccc = COLOR number (0-11d), 0 = color number 1

s = speed of gobo changes
    0 = fastest possible speed
    1 = proportional to mspeed

h = half colors or color oscillations.
    0 = normal colors
    1 = halfway between color and
    color+1 or oscillating between
    two colors as set on fixture.
    -or-

01d00rrr rrrr = COLOR spin rate (0-7),0 = rate 1

d = direction of spin
    0 = forward
    1 = reverse

6. Gobo

The color channel is bit encoded as follows, this is identical to the gobo channel
    of the Lightwave fixture protocol.

00s0gggg gggg = GOBO number (0 - 11d), 0 = gobo number 1

s = speed of gobo changes
    0 = fastest possible speed
    1 = proportional to mspeed
    -or-

01d00rrr rrrr = GOBO spin rate (0-7), 0 = rate 1

d = direction of spin
    0 = forward
    1 = reverse

7. Shutter

The shutter channel is bit encoded as follows, this is identical to the shutter
    channel of the Lightwave fixture protocol.

0000000s s = SHUTTER position (0 or 1)
    0 = closed
    1 = open
    -or-

01000rrr rrrr = SHUTTER strobe rate (0-7),0 = rate 1

8. Dim

The dim channel is a full range 8 bit value. Blackout is at 0, Full output is
    at 255 (FFh)

9. Iris

The iris channel is a full range 8 bit value. Minimum iris is at 0, Full open iris
    is at 255 (FFh)

10. Speed

The speed channel is a full range 8 bit value. The function is as follows

zero to full =

automatic speed control (as in 7 chan mode)
    slowest speed (longest time)
    fastest speed (shortest time)
    Values between 95% and 99% are best for editing or continuous control such as
    cross fades or trackballs.

11. Extra byte

The extra byte channel is bit encoded as follows, this is identical to the extra
    byte of the Lightwave fixture protocol, EXCEPT the high bit is set. This is to help
    prevent accidental homing and shutdown due to any possible "bobble" on idle channels
    which are supposed to be set to a zero value.

1000rrsh EXTRA byte

s = shutdown bit

1 = shutdown fixture

h = home bit

1 = home fixture on 0 to 1 transition.
    To home: set to 1 for one or more
    packets, then reset to 0.

r = reserved for future use.
    Must be reset to 0.

12. Checksum (if selected)

The check sum is the 8 bit LSB of the arithmetic sum of the 8 bit values of
    channels 1 through 11. In other words, add the first 11 channels, and divide
    by 256. The remainder of the division is the checksum.

Extended DMX for the Intellabeam 700Hx

(c) High End Systems 1993-1996
  • [quote=Woodj32177]
    Hopefully some day, High end will get around to posting the mode document to the website, but since the Ibeam is well since discontinued, that may be a pipe dream.

For what it's worth, this stuff currently *IS* available on the HES servers, just not via the web interface. Use FTP and pretty much anything that ever existed, right down to prom images are located at
    /pub/Products/Intellabeam at ftp.highend.com.

The only thing I can't really say here is if the 400 ever got the 13 channel mode, or if that was only in the 700HX. I still have 700's (too well built to ever die . . . ) but never had a 400. Not sure if the prom images are compatible or not, but my recollection is saying no . . . and if I am wrong, the prom images are out there for downloading . . . and if all else fails, a quick call to HES or Don at Lightparts should quickly let you know if the 400 will do 13 channel.

- Tim
  • [quote=tadawson]that all switches off may be channel 1, and not switch 1 on.

No worry about that, I'm not as stupid :) All dip switches are on Off for the DMX channel 1.

But thanks anyway for your help. I read your documents and tried the different modes setting. But it seams that only the 7 ch. mode is working on this one.

By the way, what are the differences between the Ibeam 400 and 700HX, except the different modes and lamp power?
  • [quote=Davyx]No worry about that, I'm not as stupid :) All dip switches are on Off for the DMX channel 1.

But thanks anyway for your help. I read your documents and tried the different modes setting. But it seams that only the 7 ch. mode is working on this one.

By the way, what are the differences between the Ibeam 400 and 700HX, except the different modes and lamp power?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were stupid. It's just that most other fixtures I have used "1" on the switch is "1" in the address space, not skewed, so not knowing what you are used to, and based on the behaviour you described, it would have been an easy mistake to make . . .

As far as differences, a quick look reveals that the gobo, iris, shutter and iris capabilities appear the same. The 400 appears to use an electronic dimming system that won't go below 60% whereas the 700HX used full range mechanical dimming. Since the 700HX was a replacement for the 400, and they were not built at the same time, I would not expect a lot of commonality in the two beyond the basics. Due to the additional motor channel on the 700HX for dimming, I beleive that the logic cards are also completely different which is why you can't put 700HX code on a 400 . . . hopefully, someone with HES or Don at Lightparts can clarify any other differences on Monday. I *think* I am correct, but since I have never touched a 400, can't be positive.

I fear, though, that you might be stuck in 7 channel mode with these . . . there is a reason that there weren't that many built, and that you don't see them much on the used market . . . .

- Tim
  • [quote=tadawson]Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were stupid. It's just that most other fixtures I have used "1" on the switch is "1" in the address space, not skewed, so not knowing what you are used to, and based on the behaviour you described, it would have been an easy mistake to make . . .

I fear, though, that you might be stuck in 7 channel mode with these . . . there is a reason that there weren't that many built, and that you don't see them much on the used market . . . .

I know that it's very easy to do a mistake with the addressing when the first channel starts with all switches at off. I have the same system on my SGM scanners.

Even if they have only 7 ch., I think I will find a good use for these scanners. They are simple but strong, big and heavy, all what I like :18:

In the 700 version, gobos can be replaced or not?
  • [quote=Davyx]I know that it's very easy to do a mistake with the addressing when the first channel starts with all switches at off. I have the same system on my SGM scanners.

Even if they have only 7 ch., I think I will find a good use for these scanners. They are simple but strong, big and heavy, all what I like :18:

In the 700 version, gobos can be replaced or not?
    I know what you mean . . . despite the limitations of the 700 compared to current stuff, mine continue to stay in my rig . . . bright, fast, caveman simple to repair, and reliable (well, once you replace those insta-burn connectors on the power board . . . ). And no, the stock gobo wheels on the 700 are fixed as well. I had found some info on an aftermarket wheel that takes removable gobos at one time, but never pursued it, and have no idea if that item would still be available. The good news is that after upteen years of use, the original wheels in mine show no signs of heating whatsoever . . .

- Tim
  • Anyway, the installed gobowheel fits to me. For the age of the scanner (mine is from 1990) they are very well designed and still usable. Not like those new fixtures which horrible gobos. They have a modern design, usable for decoration, but not to get any nice beams!
  • [quote=Davyx]Anyway, the installed gobowheel fits to me. For the age of the scanner (mine is from 1990) they are very well designed and still usable. Not like those new fixtures which horrible gobos. They have a modern design, usable for decoration, but not to get any nice beams!

And that is exactly why I never updated my wheels . . . . I would not have minded being able to get ahold of a set of the wider lenses for mine, since I end up in some places with pretty low fly heights, but they are *really* scarce, and the only ones I have seen have been *very* expensive!

Not sure on the power board on the 400, and due to the lower wattage they may be fine, but as I mentioned earlier, on the 700, they use headers and plug on connectors on the power board, and they are notorious for burning and failing, and often you can't see the damage until you unmate the connector. If you have that style connectors on your 400s, you might want to inspect them all. On my 700s, after the first few failures, they were all replaced with headers that basically look just like what was there originally, but without the connector - you insert the wire and tighten the screw. A bit more work to replace a board, but considering that is about the only failure I ever had with any regularity, it's not much of an issue . . .

- Tim
  • [quote=tadawson]
    Not sure on the power board on the 400, and due to the lower wattage they may be fine, but as I mentioned earlier, on the 700, they use headers and plug on connectors on the power board, and they are notorious for burning and failing, and often you can't see the damage until you unmate the connector. If you have that style connectors on your 400s, you might want to inspect them all. On my 700s, after the first few failures, they were all replaced with headers that basically look just like what was there originally, but without the connector - you insert the wire and tighten the screw. A bit more work to replace a board, but considering that is about the only failure I ever had with any regularity, it's not much of an issue . . .

When I opened them for a deep cleaning I saw these conenctors. They are ok, not burnt or even melted.
    But like I'm now planning to find some 700s, I will check this first. Thanks for the info :beerchug:
Related