Studio Color question

I am in the process of repairing a few of the color 575's. When the iris is in motion in makes a horrible noise. Someone told me I could oil or lube the iris to quiet this down. I wanted to check with the experts first. Also what would this noise most likely be, I don't want to buy the iris with gear and mount if it just needs an iris. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • [quote=ilvenw]I am in the process of repairing a few of the color 575's. When the iris is in motion in makes a horrible noise. Someone told me I could oil or lube the iris to quiet this down. I wanted to check with the experts first. Also what would this noise most likely be, I don't want to buy the iris with gear and mount if it just needs an iris. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I gave mine the full clean and then lube with dry graphite, and they still make noise when powered by the motor, and dead silent when moved by hand. I think this is just the nature of the iris in the Studio Color - considering that a stepper motor is not a smooth motion, but more like a high speed vibration, and an iris is a set of a number of fairly loosely fitting parts, it seems kinda like a natural. I spoke with HES on this, and was also told that iris noise is normal . . . .

And I would just love it if someone could prove me wrong . . .

- Tim
Related