Cuelist sync and fixture/cuelist exclusivity?

spistacciospistaccio Registered User
I just did a show that I programmed the media ahead and gave it a dedicated cuelist. Then I programmed movers and conventionals in another stack. I ran into some difficulty keeping up with the programming needs and some values for the media server were tracked into the Light cuelist. I have three questions:

Is there some way to declare that certain fixtures are only accessible to certain cuelists?

Is there any way to sync between stacks that same way two consoles sync? (I go on cue 30, you go on cue thirty, if you don't have a 31, I just go and you remain the same.)

Or is there a better stronger way that you more experienced media programmers can suggest? I've got several years of movers and conventionals, but am squeaky-new to media and would appreciate help and advice.

Thank you,

Mark LaPierre

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2011
    I find it is fairly common for programmers to keep "Media" in one cuelist and "Lighting' in another.

There is no way to exclude fixtures from any given cuelist, you must do this with careful programming (for example using "selected" before recording cues).

There is also no way to directly "sync" two cuelists. You can, however, do this with Comment Macros. Do this by determining one cuelist as the "Main" and put Comment Macros in every place you want to trigger a cue in the other list.

I tend to do a lot of live music shows, so I often have a larger media list (since it tends to need to be more linear). Then my lighting list is much smaller and may only have 5 or 6 cues in it (Intro, Verse-1, Verse-2, Chorus-1, Chorus-2, etc....) that are used multiple times throughout a song. Then a bunch of manually tiggered cues in other lists to fill it out.

Now all I have to do is put in Comment Macros to the "Media" list to trigger the proper lighting cue at any given moment.

For touring this also makes updating/changing lighting cues much faster and easier, especially during festival runs or tours where you have a different lighting rig every day.

You may find if you have more lighting cues than media cues that you want to reverse this and make the "Lighitng" cuelist the main one.

Hope this helps. :)
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited December 2011
    This has been requested a couple of times already. Good bump.

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=8357

You should be able to remove specific fixtures from an entire list by using the Record->Remove feature across a range if cues.

More on that in section 19.2.2 of the manual. In this case, you might select all of your media channels (layers, etc.), hit [Touch], then hit [Record] [Remove] (Range of cues in your moving light cue list) [Enter].

What I don't know is if you can use this with the
      key...i.e. [Record] [Remove]
      1 [Enter].

PG
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited December 2011
    Also, I like the idea of filtering cue lists by fixture numbers and/or parameter types. This is a pretty important feature on Virtuoso/Vx76 and could be a very powerful addition to the Hog.

I don't know what the implementation would look like, but I hope this gets added to the Feature Request database.

PG
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited December 2011
    I proposed few years ago to have a level priority for each parameters of each cues, like fade or delay. So you could blocked parameter or fixtures in some cues or cuelists.
  • foxriderfoxrider Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2011
    Also, with the ability of assigning specific fixtures or parameters control to a user would help for multi-user programming.
  • spistacciospistaccio Registered User
    edited December 2011
    Don't know why, but I had trouble getting the fixtures removed from the cue list, and I believe I executed the instructions right. I'll have opportunity to practice again in a while. Hopefully I will figure what I did wrong.

The cue list trigger macro is significantly limited by the inability to specify WHICH cue to go to. I work in theatre almost exclusively, so sequence is everything. If I back up into a cue for any reason, the macro will trigger again. Not terribly useful. I think next time I will need to stick to one cue stack again, but just keep my programming very clean.

In case I don't- how do you suggest the best way to block the Mover/conventional cuelist without blocking the media fixtures from the other cuelist? Just touch all the non-media channels and re-record the cue?

Thank you all.
    edited December 2011
    spistaccio wrote: »
    The cue list trigger macro is significantly limited by the inability to specify WHICH cue to go to.

Manual Page 336 :
    GM[master]/[cue] GM1/3 Use ‘*’ for the current chosen master. If you omit the cue number, the next cue will Go

Hope this help.
    edited December 2011
    foxrider wrote: »
    Also, with the ability of assigning specific fixtures or parameters control to a user would help for multi-user programming.

I read something about that and I remember that it has been logged but I have not the number.
  • Hugovd89Hugovd89 Registered User
    edited December 2011
    In case I don't- how do you suggest the best way to block the Mover/conventional cuelist without blocking the media fixtures from the other cuelist? Just touch all the non-media channels and re-record the cue?

Why not just give your media cuelist a higher priority then your lighting cuelist.
    edited December 2011
    If I back up into a cue for any reason, the macro will trigger again. Not terribly useful.

Only if you have that option turned on in your cuelist.
    Under Cuelist Options -> Master -> Trigger Cuelist Macro can be turned on or off, and is off by default. (Note this option only appears if your "Pause" button is set to "Halt" or "Back".)

edited December 2011

That is one way, or you might be able to Copy the Cue into your Programmer, Select All, and then Record it using State.

edited December 2011
    Stephlight- Thanks VERY much for pointing out the language to trigger a specific cue. I didn't realize that I had not updated the manual I refer to in my computer. Very helpful.

Marti- Thanks for the feedback.

Mark
  • JimOhrbergJimOhrberg Registered User
    edited December 2011
    Mark,

It is also good practice, especially when running multiple cuelists, to have the first cue in each list contain all desired fixtures with all of their parameters.

Example:
    Lighting in list 1-
    Select all lighting fixtures, then TOUCH, then record cue 1.

Media in list 2-
    Select all media devices, TOUCH, record cue 1.

Having all of the devices and parameters recorded at the top of the list helps the console figure out where to make changes when using update. It also helps you quickly find where you may have mistakenly recorded devices to the wrong list.
    edited December 2011
    Jim, Thanks very much for that suggestion. Terribly helpful.