iPC Problems

mikewoodldmikewoodld Registered User
Hey guys,

Upon booting my iPC, I get a variety of problems. Was working fine at first and then crashed. Upon a reboot, the left screen is gone and the right says that Hog 3 PC has encountered a problem and must close, etc etc etc...

So I did some research and found out that the left video card comes jiggled out during transit, so I opened up, reseated, and rebooted and it worked fine.

The issue is that every other time I turn it on, I have to reseat the second video card. It seriously is every other time it boots up and as you can imagine, that is ridiculous.

Eventually while patching I ran into a "database commit failure" message repeatedly and that was followed by a crash, and now again the console won't fully load and I will need to reseat the left video card. But I feel as if there is something else going on because of the crashes as well...

Could it be something else? The backup battery, perhaps? I don't know. Any advice is welcome. I'm going to try to get a new battery for the motherboard tomorrow, we will see if that helps at all.

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• mw.smithmw.smith Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

This is a fault with the right-angle pci riser adapter on the graphics card. It seems that it might be just dislodged but they do start to go eventually and cause a lot of weird errors. I've in the past swapped it out for a ribbon pci cable instead and then put some foam under the Gfx card for extra support. Works a treat and no more errors.

Hope this helps.
  • mikewoodldmikewoodld Registered User
    edited October 2010
    mw.smith wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a fault with the right-angle pci riser adapter on the graphics card. It seems that it might be just dislodged but they do start to go eventually and cause a lot of weird errors. I've in the past swapped it out for a ribbon pci cable instead and then put some foam under the Gfx card for extra support. Works a treat and no more errors.

Hope this helps.

That's one of the things I want to try. Any idea where I might find the ribbon cable? Newegg doesn't seem to carry anything and I need it asap.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited October 2010
    Just as a note,
    if the graphics card has been replaced recently it is advised that you also change the right angle pci adaptor also at the same time.It can cause issues if you have a mix of cards and right angle adaptors.
    Get a new graphics card they are cheap if you can find them with a dealer or online or possibly a good computer store.(make sure it is exactly the right card replacement)

Best C
  • mw.smithmw.smith Registered User
    edited October 2010
    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10137

Had a few of these off them and you can also find them on amazon.

Try this before the gfx card because it's not likely to be that.