Why did I bother to upgrade my iPC!!!

skierskier Registered User
Hi all

I decided to upgrade my iPC to the current version and now I get the "can't connect to front panel error".

I have tried to install the latest image and all i get is a cursor flashing in the corner of screen.

I have also tried to download the V8.2.2 image but not sure if i have the correct one as this doesn't work either. Can anyone shed any light on this as I now have an expensive blue door wedge!

Many thanks

S

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited March 2009
    There have been a few reports of this. Dudging from a quick search it is to do with image v8.3.0. In the posts HES said they are looking into it. HES support is world class so I'm sure thy are doing the best to find and stomp the bug/problem.
  • jhillenkotterjhillenkotter Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Skier, please call or email me directly and I will have a look into this.

+44 7515.772.116
    Jens.Hillenkotter@barco.com

JENS
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited March 2009
    Image v8.2.2 should get you around this problem. Were you able to get in touch with Jens?
  • RomanRoman Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Is there a known problem with 8.3.0?
    I'm asking because tomorow I'll do a upgrade for a customer.
    and it would not be the best, if it will not work.
    It's one of the first iPC's which where sold.

Thanks Roman
    edited March 2009
    There is a known issue with iPC XPE v8.3.0 that has the potential to effect iPCs with the N78X-VM motherboard. The solution is to use XPE 8.2.2. Then you can upgrade Hog3PC to v3.0.2 b2440.
  • SmokeyXSmokeyX Registered User
    edited March 2009
    What are the know issues with 8.3.0? Im having some quirky problems with the following.

1. Touch screens no longer give you a 4 point calibration, only two points (up left and bottom right)

2. I cant merge fixtures properly from the uncommon library
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Chris,
    I'll take a look an the mainboard :notworthy:

Roman
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2009
    SmokeyX wrote: »
    1. Touch screens no longer give you a 4 point calibration, only two points (up left and bottom right)

I think that is all there ever was on the iPC....the only console that does four point is the full Hog-3
    2. I cant merge fixtures properly from the uncommon library

Have you tried merging in from uncommon with a new showfile, or is it with an existing one?
  • QueerdooQueerdoo Registered User
    edited March 2009
    I think that is all there ever was on the iPC....the only console that does four point is the full Hog-3

Wrong, i can do a fourpoint calibration on my iPC...
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I think all of my woes are gone after downgrading with XPe 8.2.2 and then upgrading to build 2440. Merging uncommon fixtures still doesn't appear to do anything from the libraries, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Here's what the downgrade/upgrade fixed for me:

Regained 4 point touchscreen callibration

Merging a fixture from another show with uncommon fixtures was successfull but still cant merge from libraries.

Honestly, my only reason for upgrading to 8.3.0 was to gain the ability to boot the desk with an external monitor plugged in and not loose one of my touchscreens in the process. Anyone at HE know when a stable build of 8.3.0 will be released for my (apparently) affected motherboard? My serial number is 74CA1305027, can you look it up from there?
    edited March 2009
    Queerdoo wrote: »
    Wrong, i can do a fourpoint calibration on my iPC...

Maybe I'm thinking of the Roadhogs then.

If downgrading to 8.2.2 regained the 4 point calibration, then probably something has changed in the touchscreen drivers that has been added to 8.3 to allow for only 2 point calibration.
    edited March 2009

Have you tried merging in from uncommon with a new showfile, or is it with an existing one?

I tried with a new showfile built with the most current main library to merge the uncommon library by going into "High End" and highlighting the "ColorPro FX" fixture. Im only guessing that this is the proper procedure because the documentation doesn't fully explain how to do this.

My workaround was to start a new show with the uncommon library, add the ColorPro FX fixtures. Close that show, and start a new one with the current main library where I merged the fixtures from the show I built with the uncommon library. Seems like a bunch of extra steps to me, but it worked.

Note: with 8.3.0 and the most current build, Neither method worked.

Also, If 8.3.0 changed the callibration on purpose, I have to ask Why? Maybe if you have new screens with few hours on them this might be advantagous, but with my screens, the top right and top left quadrants of the screen were far out of calibration as the 2 point only uses up left and bottom right.

I just want to be able to boot up with my external monitor attached :(
    edited March 2009
    I tried with a new showfile built with the most current main library to merge the uncommon library by going into "High End" and highlighting the "ColorPro FX" fixture. Im only guessing that this is the proper procedure because the documentation doesn't fully explain how to do this.

You should see a set of blue parenthesis to the left of the fixture name. You need to touch or click this to see a black check-mark inside to indicate the fixture will be merged. I'm not sure highlighting the row is enough to get the check-mark.
  • skierskier Registered User
    edited March 2009
    c_muenchow wrote: »
    Image v8.2.2 should get you around this problem. Were you able to get in touch with Jens?

Yes I did. Sadly I have not been home this week to investigate further.

After talking to Jens we come to the conclusion my CD drive may be bad as when I try to install any image nothing happens except a cursor flashing in the corner of the screen.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the 8.2.2 image download? I did have a brief look but couldn't find it.

Typically as luck would have it I now need the console next week!! GRRRRR

Many thanks
    edited March 2009
    skier wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the 8.2.2 image download? I did have a brief look but couldn't find it.

I think it is right below the 8.3 image in a smaller font....otheriwse it might be on the archive page.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Granados EGranados E Registered User
    edited March 2009
    hi friends:

My strange experience.....with iPC

I restore iPC Console with cd restore image 8.2.2.

Process of restore are ok, the console work with the HOG iPC FRONT PANEL.......uffff

next step Burn one cd data with 3 files:

(1)Hog iPC Configuration Panel
    spacer.gif
    Version:
    v3.0.2 (2440)
    Release date:
    March 4 , 2009
    Notes
    : This version requires XPe Image Release 8.2 or greater.

(2)Hog 3PC
    spacer.gif
    Version:
    v3.0.2 (2440)
    Release date: March 4, 2009
    Note: This version requires XPe Image Release 8.2 or greater

(3)Hog iPC DMX Processor 8000 Firmware
    spacer.gif
    Version:
    v3.0.2 (2440)
    Release date:
    March 4 , 2009
    Notes
    : After upgrading to version 3.0.1, install this update if you are connecting a DP8000 to a Hog iPC with less than 1GB of Ram. Install via the Hog iPC config panel or Hog 3PC start screen.

I upgrade the iPC configuration panel to v. 3.0.2 (2440) process are ok.

When go to upgrade the hog pc3 v.3.0.2 (2440)
    Apareed this legend

Hog3pc 3.0.2 2440

Error writing to file: C:\program files\flying pig systems\hog 3pc\helptext\ru\sect-safety_en.htm.
    Verify that you have access to that directory

some one can helpme......please.......:hogsign:
    edited March 2009
    Have you used the Checksum to make sure the download isn't corrupted or simply tried downloading the file again?
    edited April 2009
    The issue causing older iPC models to display a "cannot connect to front panel error" has been resolved in the iPC restore image released yesterday (April 1). The iPC restore image version is 8.4.0.
    edited July 2009
    Push!!!
    I currently have the same problem like Granados E with an iPC.
    Is there a fix for it?

Best regards Roman
  • chadlchadl Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I've had the same problem. The problem come from upgrading Hog 2. If you don't update the hog to you won't have these problems.
    edited July 2009
    I already got the solution:
    The videoframebuffer - thing in the bios helped me.
    Maybe someone can correct the minimum specs on the update site.
    I had XPe 8.2.2 installed and it didn't worked.

Cheers Roman
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Roman,

We will run some tests and update the webpage...