Weird Board Freeze

spistacciospistaccio Registered User
edited September 2010 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
I have had this happen five times now. I am working on a small show on the full console. Client/Server, only 4 universes, and barely at that. I am programming along, not too fast and not slamming too many things at once when the board screens all go black and the mouse turns to an x and I can't restart any engines using pig open backspace. No response at all. So I have to reboot. I thought it was the one console I was using, so I switched the desks and rebooted (the one I was programming on I switched to my left and I started programming on the desk that was fine) and the SAME behavior happened. I had a wireless router in, so I unplugged that, and switched out some cables. I only programmed for an hour or so ater the last one, so I'm not sure if I solved it. Anyone had this happen?

The screens look EXACTLY like they do when you tell the console to quit and the screens go black before it tells you it's safe to shut the board down.

Any help would be great.

2.6.0 software, one ELO touchscreen in, one LCD monitor.

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited November 2008
    If you post your system specs (console type, additional devices, software build, how your network is set up, etc, etc) it will be easier to help you determine what is happening.

When was the last time your desk had a full install of the software to re-image the HDD? (this will wipe all show files....so be carefulk and backup externally first).
  • spistacciospistaccio Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I have the full console (the linux version) not sure if there is more specific info I should look for to fully answer that? I have a call in to the guy I rented from to find out the last full install. I have the boards networked through a lynksys switch. As mentioned before, it is software 2.6.0, I have the consoles networked as Server/Client, with an ELO touchscreen and an LCD screen plugged in. No other devices. Both boards are plugged into a power conditioner. One DP2000, also plugged into the switcher.

What else should I report?

Thanks for any help.

Mark
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited November 2008
    That helps....do you know what you were doing (specific keystrokes, etc) when this happened? Are you able to make it do this again?
    edited November 2008
    No identical keystrokes, but usually I'm taking a couple of fixtures and using touch to back up and mark them in the previous cues. But it seems to not be keystroke related.

Any thoughts?

M
  • J CriminsJ Crimins Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Mark,
    I experienced this exact situation about a year ago. After switching out the DP2000 and the console with no improvement, I narrowed it down to my D-Link ethernet switch. Swapped it out for a nice Netgear model and I was up and running again. Good luck.
    -JC
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2008
    So you had the same issue with two different full size consoles? Because usually not completing the boot up and going to Shut Off screne means the hard drive took a crap. I've swapped mine out twice.
    edited November 2008
    Yes, the behavior happened with two different consoles.

The first board had previously in its history had hard drive problems and was serviced by High End and has been well behaved for over a year now. Second board is only a year old.

Perhaps it is the switcher. If it drops out again, that's what I'm bypassing next. Then, I'll switch out DPs and then I go fetal and find a hole.

Any other ideas, I'll be here every break I get.

Thank you all.

M
  • Steve HarperSteve Harper Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Hi Mark, et all:

Here are the specifics of our system, which we have out with Mark's show right now:

(2) Wholehog 3 Consoles - Running V.2.6.0 (Build 2071)
    (2) DP 2000 Processor
    (2) Linksys/Cisco SR224G Ethernet Switch
    (2) CyberPower OR700LCDRM1U Line-Interactive 700VA UPS
    (2) TMB ProPlex Cat5E / EtherCon Cable (connecting switch -to- console)
    (*) Generic Ethernet cables (inside the rack)
    (1) Elo 1725L Touchmonitor

I understand there is also a VGA monitor provided by the house. Not likely a factor. No external keyboards or mice, right?

Has anyone experienced hardware conflicts with this switch by any chance? It's a minimally managed switch, pretty solid and "dumb" which is a plus I think. We've been using 2 of them for over a year, no problems yet.

Mark, you are running stand-alone systems right now, yes? : (1) Console to (1) DP2000 via (1) Switch and (1) UPS as power supply only (not part of "network"). If you get a chance, do the console direct to DP to eliminate the switch as a possiblity (you need to use a crossover cable, not the EtherCon cable, since that is a straight cable). If it happens again, switch DP2000 units. If it happens again, I'd say the show file is corrupt somehow. Does that make sense to any other readers? I'm running out of ideas. If the same error has cropped up on 2 separate consoles, it seems extremely unlikely to be a physical problem with the board(s), right?

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that the OS clean install disc had some bad bit of data on it (these consoles were clean installed maybe 3-4 weeks ago). Does that sound possible even, or would the OS even run if that were the case? Are we getting pretty left field? Am I in the bleachers yet?

Keep me posted Mark ... anyone out there have anything to add to this mystery, please let us know.

Ah, the mysteries of life.

-S-
    edited November 2008
    The show is not networked at this stage. I will bypass the switch this morning when I get it. Last night, the thing actually locked up while I was lamping the fixtures down! Man!

I would love anyone who is familiar with the code to explain to me how a show can get corrupt? I would love to learn if I did something wrong and someday enjoy the lesson of this experience. 'Cause right now, this sucks.

Thanks,

Mark
    edited November 2008
    Shifted so that the consoles are not networked and are direct to the DP and it still happened. I'm basically done programming at this point, so playback should make things more stable, but I still welcome ideas.

Thank you all.

M
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2010
    Resurecting an old post. I have experienced exactly the same thing with 2 seperate consoles yesturday during very basic programming and patching. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the problem? My setup is Hog 3 networked via Luminex switch to a DP8000.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ross
    edited August 2010
    Ross,

No resolution. The thing I found in practice was that when it froze, it was always doing non-pressured work. So patching, lamping down, etc, but never that time during actual programming. So ultimately, it was more unsettling than harmful. The year previous, I had the same bug show up during programming. Man, that sucked!

Good luck,

Mark
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the update Mark. Trying to establish if it's a software crash or hardware fault.
    Regards
    Ross
    edited August 2010
    It is my BELIEF that it is a software fault, but I have not had a wide experience of boards. I'm curious if this is with the Linux version, or with an embedded XP?

Mark
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited September 2010
    The fact that PIG+OPEN+BACKSPACE does not open the task manager on the H3 indicates that either the FP driver process has crashed or that the front panel has just gone off into the weeds. This is a pretty hard crash and it is rare to see FP driver crash but when it does you are correct that the only way to recover is through powercycle.

In the event that this is a software problem it's difficult to debug because of the fact that it is so random and also because we don't have any dmp logs or stack traces to look at on this one.

We do tons of mundane patching and lamp strike stuff here in our test lab everyday and I can honestly say we have not been seeing this.

If this is somehow hardware related, the only common item I am seeing in this thread is the use of an ethernet switch.
    edited September 2010
    Chris,

The switcher was common- until I took i out of line to see if that was it. It was not. Or, at least, it did not prevent the problem.

I am still curious to know if the other system displaying this behavior is a Linux or XP system. I had alot of trouble with the Linux one, but never experienced a problem with an XP one. Perhaps that is totally random and I shouldn't assign meaning to it- but it's REALLY hard not to when your designer is breathing down your neck!

Thank you for your info. That tidbit of the behavior and power cycling being the only option is very valuable to know.

Best,

Mark
    edited September 2010
    Hi Chris,

In my case the switch is one I use day in day our without fault. Cables were different as a change in location happened between the faults on the 2 consoles. Only other common factor was a ps2 keyboard.

I'm really keen to narrow this down whenever possible to a s/w or hardware issue as it's such a catastrophic one.

Thanks Ross
  • hercthxhercthx Registered User
    edited September 2010
    i had the same thing happen to me twice in as many days. i had a cue running and was waiting to start programing the next cue and whamo! hog3 full 3.1.5, 20"elo, dp2000, linksys wgrt wifi-n inline, playback wing, power backed up on an apc ups. 1 second i was looking at my output screen, the next i heard a click and all screens went to black with a crosshair mouse. front panle locked, I power cycled to regain show. interesting to note the first time it happend, I heard a click and everything locked, my views stayed in place, then after about 5 seconds by system rebooted itself, the screens did a slow line by line refresh from my views to the hog3 bootup screen then the rest of the boot up followed, was only the second lock the next day wher i had to power cycle. other superfluous things to note i had a laptop, and portable 4" tv plugged into same service (2 years with this config no issues), ther was an a/c unit being installed in the next soundstage no word as to any tieing in of said unit, also on the first day, ther was an electrical storm brewing about 30-40 km's to the northeast, but clear skies the seond day. thats about as much info i can give your slueths!