Inconvenient crash

BBCLDBBCLD Registered User, Hog Beta
edited September 2008 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
On my RHFB, I usually leave the console running during the week. I use it in a fixed installation and tend to network to it to get cue numbers and change programming plus it is used off and on throughout the week. Ever since I got it, it will crash at least once or twice a week. it basically bcomes inoperable until I do a hard restart. It doesn't like being left alone or on for long periods of time and occasionally it will crash during normal keystrokes (never the same keystrokes twice). I have the latest revision installed and I am kind of at a loss. Has anyone else had this challenge? I need to get this fixed because I really don't need this happening during a show.

thanks for any help you can offer,
Eric

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited July 2008
    Can you please check in the logs folder of your RHFB and see if there are any DMP files in there? If so, it would be good to send those to us so our development team can debug and figure out why you are crashing so often. Also, what version of the XPE Image and what version of the Hog3PC software are you running?
  • BBCLDBBCLD Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2008
    No files in the logs folder. I am using Hog version 2.5.0 and image version 1.2.1. I am not sure what to say on the log files except that it may not be reporting the crash. To explain what I am seeing, is that the console locks up and goes to the hog splash screen and it won't respond to anything, thus needing the hard restart.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Eric,

What devices do you have plugged into the console via USB and/or Ethernet?
    edited July 2008
    I have two ELO touchscreeens, a Dell keyboard, and a playback wing attached to USB, and the company network plugged in. That is pretty much it.
    edited July 2008
    Eric,

You might try experiementing with different things NOT plugged in, starting with the company network. You very well could be getting some bad network traffic that is causing random crashes. Try running the console on its own network and see if the trouble continues...
    edited July 2008
    OK, I will try that I suppose. I guess it may be better to wait for the network until I expand a little more (DP2000s or whatever). It is nice to be able to connect my Hog PC up to connect to the show when I need to do small programming changes or get cue numbers when I am in my office. I guess i will have to put that on hold for a while.
    edited July 2008
    Eric,

If this proves to solve the problem, then the you might talk with your network administrator to help with the setup to ensure there are no problems with the Wholehog. You might need to change the port or ip settings for example.
    edited August 2008
    OK, after many weeks of trial and error and no luck. I finally did go into the processes and found this message: (maybe this will help)

Name: Desktop
    State: Not Responding
    PID: 508
    MQ: 7
    Command Line: -port=6600 -nodeid=1

It looks like network protocol to me but switching to the loopback adapter and removing the network line did nothing to keep it from happening.
    edited August 2008
    Parts of this thread: http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5830 sound familiar but i still have control over the hog+open+backspace key sequence to look at the processes. I am wondering if my problem could be PSU related as well. Maybe, maybe not. Any suggestions.
  • NoStoppinNoStoppin Registered User
    edited September 2008
    I've had other brands of networked consoles lock up when the correct reply isn't received over a period of time. I was on a gig where the scissor lift crushed my FOH ethernet cables and It was much worse than your problems.

my thoughts are, can you run a temp cable from the RHFB to your network switch? can you try a different switch? are you using artnet or ethernet? what's the brand of the switch, is it a commercial brand or one made specifically for entertainment apps? how long are the cat5 runs from console to switch?

this sounds exactly like how the hog III used to lock up when connection to the DP2000 dropped out.

peace, Tim Olson