What do these buttons do? Hog500

lightbrightlightbright Registered User
there are a few buttons on my 500 that I don't understand.

First is the "Menus" button - I know what this does on a 1k but not the 500

"Cue" (top right of programmer, above 'list')

There is also a blank button in that group of buttons

and a blank button which is 4 buttons above 'go to'

and there is another blank button somewhere in the programmer

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited July 2008
    there are a few buttons on my 500 that I don't understand.

First is the "Menus" button - I know what this does on a 1k but not the 500

"Cue" (top right of programmer, above 'list')

There is also a blank button in that group of buttons

and a blank button which is 4 buttons above 'go to'

and there is another blank button somewhere in the programmer

It has been AGES since I've been near a 500 (it still surprises me that people are still using them with the cost of RoadHog or H3PC systems nowadays and the considerable software advantages over the 500 and 1000), but if memory serves....

The MENU button works only when you have an external monitor hooked up, and then it behaves similarly to the 1000

The CUE is used when making edits or recording.....ie - RECORD-LIST ###-CUE ### or LOAD CUE###

The blank buttons probably don't do anything....unless they are a regular button that has had the silk screen label worn off from use......press one and see if anything happens in the command line.....also try the event monitor from control panel to find out.

Hope this helps:)
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited July 2008
    I have a 1000, having recently upgraded from a 500, so am current on this . . . . and as to why this instead of RoadHog/H3PC? For me it's simple, I refuse to run anything Windows based, and H3 is beyond my budget. And no, I don't want to start up THAT argument again, just answering the question as to why *one* person has that preference . . . . Other than the software being dead-ended, the 500/1000 platform was still available new at the beginning of the year, at very good prices . . . . just not from High End . . .

Actually, it's the monitor button that only works with a tube connected. Menu on a 500 does nothing - it's sole purpose is to select palettes on the console, and since the 500 has none, it's dead.

The cue button, as already stated, is for loads and edits, although "cue" is assumed in the syntax in a lot of places, so it doesn't get that much use . . .

The blanks don't do anything . . . I think Jands had them there for future features, and due to one thing or another, nothing ever got put there.

- Tim
  • lightbrightlightbright Registered User
    edited July 2008
    why a hog 500? I didn't have $9k for a Roadhog, I didn't even have $4k for a Hog500, but I found one for just under $3k, that's why i got one
  • lightbrightlightbright Registered User
    edited July 2008
    The 'cue' button doesn't seem to do much. I checked the EV monitor and the button works, but if I try "record list 5 cue 2" the syntax line says "record list 52" it just skip the 'cue' command
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited July 2008
    I use the cue button when i am programming copy cue 2 to 4. Or Move cue 2 list 1 to cue 8 list 2
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited July 2008
    The 'cue' button doesn't seem to do much. I checked the EV monitor and the button works, but if I try "record list 5 cue 2" the syntax line says "record list 52" it just skip the 'cue' command

I want to say that your syntax is off. It should read "record cue 2 list 5" That would give you the proper order in which to use the cue button. I believe if you do it the other way around, it doesn't see the cue button/
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited July 2008
    It has been a while since i have done it, so i could very well be wrong.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2008
    CUE is much more useful in combination with LOAD.

ie - LOAD - CUE xxxx ENTER from a Chosen Master