Capture DMX IN

Hi All

Is it possible to capture DMX in on the Hog3 like on the Hog2?

Thanks

Regards¨

Shane
  • Shane,

The Wholehog 3 system does not support DMX input. The feature request has been logged for some time, but there are no current plans for implementation.

thanks,
  • I'd like to bump this feature request.

With the...upcoming (ahem)...release of ArtNet capability in the Hog III family, I would be very eager to see steps toward implementing a flexible DMX capture and control system over ArtNet (if not via the DMX connections on a DP-2000 or widget*).

This certainly seems to be yet another feature that could be used to strongly differentiate the current Hog III OS in the current market.

As always, thank you to the entire dev and testing team for all that you do to further this platform.

Regards,

Phil

*On a side note: I seem to remember that the ports on a DP2000 are theoretically bi-directional. Is this accurate? Is this the case for widgets and super-widgets?
  • All HogIII family hardware is designed to permit output, input, and RDM. As Brad says though, there are no current plans for implementation of DMX input.
  • Thanks for the response Eric.

I'm obviously disappointed to hear that - two years later - this still sounds like it's at the bottom of the list.

With the obvious structural improvements that have been made in the software and with the long-overdue ArtNet capability coming, this seems like a feature set that adds a huge amount of potential control capabilities to Hog end-users.

While I have the utmost respect for the finite resources you have at your disposal, I see so much opportunity for this to be a ground-breaking feature. Going beyond the basic capture and poor man's expansion wing concepts, this could be a link that allows us - the users - to easily create remote solutions without having to expose an API of any kind.

Take for example the iPhone. With the App Store online for less than a month, there is already an application that allows basic lighting control over an ArtNet link. With a decent DMX input interface, I could not only access level controls remotely, but possibly map specific input channels to macros or specific commands.

So, I guess my point is that I wanted to revisit the issue since the last comment I could find was two years old. The console is in a much different place now than it was two years ago. With new features now making a comeback and the bug reports coming in at a bit slower clip, this is definitely one of the features I would vote for in my personal top ten.

Hope that all made sense.

Thanks for reading.

Phil
  • Hey Phil,

I agree that capture and input of DMX/Art-Net is cool, but think for a moment of all the feature requests and enhancements we have logged. We must continually decided what has priority to implement next. One of the considerations is will the new feature(s) be applicable to most users or only a few power users. I think that there are certainly many other features that rate a higher priority than this.

However dont take this to mean it wont happen, it is just that there are some other things that need to happen first. I will add your comments to our log regarding this feature.
Related