1775 Bug Report: Zip drive file transfer crash

MtomaselliMtomaselli Registered User
edited September 2007 in Wholehog Lighting Control
Name: Mike Tomaselli
Date: 8-13-07

HOG III
Software Version and build number: 2.1.1 (1775)
Number of displays: 2
Connected USB Devices: Mini playback wing
Networked Devices: None
2 DP’s

From the show manager I select file browser. Drag show file from console hardrive to zip drive. 5 seconds after I dragged the file to the zip I tried deleting a show on the zip drive and the console went black on both touchscreens and vga monitors. Console was completely locked…had to recycle power.

The zip disk has about 38 HOG III show files on it. Tried another disk I have with about 20 show files on it..same thing happened.

Also...I am noticing that when I select a group of fixtures and pan or tilt they do not move in sync. Same issue with indexing gobos. Never noticed this problem before other builds. Note..fixtures are all set to same speeds etc... fixtures in show are VL3500's, M2K Profiles and M2K Washes. VL3500's are the worst.

Comments

• jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited August 2007
    This wont fix your problem, but I think you'll be happier...

Mini CD's (for the small convienient factor) will give you less grief. Yes they take a minute to burn to disc but they're tiny and not as finicky as a Zip. Plus since the Hog leaves them as an open session, you can keep adding to the disc.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2007
    That's interesting J....I never knew that.

Time to go grab a spool of them!
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited August 2007
    MicroCenter has cases for Mini CDs too (Mini DVD cases work).
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Mike,

Regarding the ZIP disk, there are two problems I think you may have found. First is bug #4429 where a full ZIP can cause a desk to crash or maybe bug #9961 when writing over an existing file on a ZIP.

Also regarding the deleting files from a zip on the console, this is also logged as bug #7090. As you can see we are aware of a few bugs with the ZIP system.

Regarding your second problem with the fixtures not moving together: Are they on the same DP? Do you have a show file you can send? Do you see them move together in the output or DMX window? Does this problem only occur in the programmer or with playback as well?

thanks,
  • MtomaselliMtomaselli Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Brad -
    The show file I sent is the same show for this as well.

The problem with movement is primarily the VL3500. The DMX output seems fine. Same DP.

The M2K's in this show seem to move fine but when I index gobos I see the same problem that I have with the VL3500 movement. Like a delay between a group of fixutres if that makes sense??

The VL3500 does not move in sync when in the programmer or in cues. Never had this problem before....lights are mine and I have never messed with the VL3500 software since I loaded 1775. Could this be a software issue in the VL3500 or console?
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Mike,

I have received your show file and will look into this shortly. FYI regarding the VL3500s... the VL fixtures do have a different response to pan/tilt than other fixture types. Have you compared them previously as well or only used them on their own in the past? Also VLs do have a setting on the fixture to allow for slower movement speeds.

So the delays/slowdowns you are seeing are between VLs and M2Ks... could it be differences in fixture operations or have you never seen this before when using the two fixtures together in the past? Can you see any differences in the DMX output window?

As I said we will load up your show and check the DMX output as well.

thanks,
    edited August 2007
    I have always had problems with the pan and tilt response for the VL3500 when it is loaded in the programmer. I have never experienced the lights not moving in sync if I select a group of them....and never in a cue unless I changed timing etc...

Load the file and let me know if you see anything.

Yes..all the VL3500's fixutres are set to the same speeds.
    edited August 2007
    Brad -
    Also in this show you will notice that when you open the stage output screen the console response time slows way down. As soon as you close the output screen the console runs normal.
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Mike,

I've worked with all of the VL3000 and VL3500 fixtures on a Wholehog 3 recently and didn't notice any difference with how they respond compared to other moving fixtures. If you're noticing that they're much different than everything else, I'd start looking at how evenly your fixtures are spread across your DP2000s, what your refresh rate is and whether changing it affects the problem, and what other processing or fixtures you have on the DMX lines.

The output window requires more processing than most of our other windows. All of the information it displays is generated by feedback from the DP2000s. This data must be correllated on the console and it changes much more frequently than most other windows, so there is a lot of drawing going on. You can improve performance by running the output window in the smallest size possible and by using the lowest resolution and refresh rate you need on your external monitors.

I hope this helps.
    edited August 2007
    Tom – The problem I was having with the VL3500 pan and tilt speed was not the console. When my lead technician checked this on show site he said they were all set the same. But when the fixtures made it back to my shop I noticed some units were set to fast and some set to normal…sorry.

I will try lower resolution on the output screen and see if that helps.

I just finished a show last night using build 1775 and had a few issues.

1 – I had 120 LED’s. Anytime I added/changed or updated in the patch window and then closed the window the LED’s would flash red.

2 – Had problems updating cues. Example: I record a cue with a movement effect (circle). Then selected another group of fixtures put them in a position and color and then hit update/ok. When I hit update/ok the effect would pause for a split second and then continue as programmed. Became a little frustating since I was programming many cues live.

3 – Console became very sluggish after about 2 hours of programming. I did have to program many cues live.

4 – Problem with effects tracking even if I stopped the effect. I need to stop the effect again, hit touch and then merge into the same cue to have the effect stop.

I can send the show file in a couple of days.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Mtomaselli wrote:
    1 – I had 120 LED’s. Anytime I added/changed or updated in the patch window and then closed the window the LED’s would flash red.

Anytime you change Patch the console has to relay that info to the DP. It will relay all that info usually right after you close the window, so there might be a 3-5 second delay in processing causing the DMX refresh rate to drop off a bit.

Mtomaselli wrote:
    2 – Had problems updating cues. Example: I record a cue with a movement effect (circle). Then selected another group of fixtures put them in a position and color and then hit update/ok. When I hit update/ok the effect would pause for a split second and then continue as programmed. Became a little frustating since I was programming many cues live.

When you udpate an FX cue it will usually cause it to re-calculate and re-start the table...if you have a large number of fixtures or HTP channels (like LEDs) on your DP, then it has to work that much harder and these re-calculations become more obvious.

Mtomaselli wrote:
    3 – Console became very sluggish after about 2 hours of programming. I did have to program many cues live.

I always shutdown, and power-clear my DPs after any intensive programming for exactly this reason. This insures all the new data has been properly relayed to the DPs, etc, etc,

Mtomaselli wrote:
    4 – Problem with effects tracking even if I stopped the effect. I need to stop the effect again, hit touch and then merge into the same cue to have the effect stop.

FX track separately from other parameters, so you need to make sure Off is indicated in the appropriate cell of the table column in the FX editor.

It sounds like a lot of you problems may be with the way your DP(s) are loaded. They will choke up a bit if you load too many HTP channels, and do large numbers of crossfades across a large number of parameters. Adding DPs to handle the load and moving universes to them is the best way to currently deal with this, but soon we will have the new DP and it should take care of all these problems.
    edited September 2007
    Marty -
    Thanks for the feedack. I have always noticed these problems with the Hog III/DP's but just thought I would start getting some feedback from the Forum.
    It is hard for me to reset the DP on shows that I have to program on the fly or live. I do try and not exceed 70% of the DP's load but seems like I still have these issues.
    I have heard that a new DP is in the works....

Mike