Open Cue 213 of cuelist 11.
you will get Desktop crash.

Thanks,
Akito

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited August 2007
    Hey Akito,

Cuelist 11 definitely has some sort of corruption in it. I also noticed that openning cue 204.5 will crash the desktop. Any idea if you ran a garbage collect or deleted a lot of lists/cue before you saw this error?

-Chris Muenchow
  • SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Hey Chris, I had another bug report a week ago or so with a similar issue. One thing I was just thinking about when you mentioned corruption was something I deal with.
    First thought... When I do a Garbage collect, sometimes it takes forever. This is even after I have freshly rebooted (I tend to skip just logging off and go for the whole reboot).
    I have also noticed that the consistently, the "corrected palette usage" tends to be fixing 150 to 200 palettes. Why does it need to fix 150 plus palettes?

Something else, is that I am noticing a lot more I'm crashing on open of specific cuelists. This might be related to the fact that I have a few cuelists that are almost 2 years old and have literally been edited over 500 times.

Primarily I say these issues on 1618 but I am also noticing them too on 1775.
  • Akito.HAkito.H Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2007
    Hi Chris,

I had not deleted a lot of lists with this show data.
    but
    garbage collect is maybe.
    Console was very unstable while programming this show.
    IE
    Can't record, merge and update.

Thanks,
    Akito
    edited August 2007
    Though it might possibly be unrelated

I was playing CD while programming.

Akito
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited August 2007
    Show data corruption bugs are usually the result of one of three things: a show file built over time with different software versions, faulty garbage collection, or a incomplete deletion/creation of an item because of a tie-up of system resources. Obviously, system memory and show data are the nuts and bolts of every programmer's work. Most show data corruption cases have to be handled on a case by case basis because every show file goes through its own evolution of changes. We are always happy to look at and evaluate show files to see where things went wrong and to help prevent it from happening again with software changes. As far as 2.2.1 b1775 is concerned here are some preventative measures and tips that help to keep show data healthy:

1) Always log off and powercycle your DPs when you do a garbage collect. This ensures that the unused memory we just threw out gets completely cleared from memory.

2) Backup your show file before running a garbage collect or check integrity.

3) Delete show items in reasonable amounts. If you want to delete 100+ items like cuelists, delete them in chunks of 25 or 50 to break up the task. This helps to ensure the desk completes the operation and doesn't leave fragments behind.

4) Edit slot names and fixture defaults before you start writing cues. Changing these things after you have programmed lots of cues puts your programming at a small risk.

We will continue to do our best to handle show corruption issues as we find them. In most cases our software upgrades won't canabalize existing show files but obviously as changes are made to the code there will be a small number of isolated issues that we will have to evaluate.

Akito, we are still looking at your show file to see what went wrong there. The early answers seems to indicate a faulty garbage collect at some point.

Tod, the garbage collect is most likely taking a long time on your desk because you have a large amount of data in your show file that the system needs to analyze. I don't know all the nitty gritty details of the garbage collect routine but I can say that its effected by several things like undo, show size, and number deleted objects. The software status of garbage collect and check palette usage hasn't changed much over the last few releases, but it is definitely due for an overhaul. Until then we are happy to look at show files so that we can gather as information as possible to locate and zap these issues.

-Chris Muenchow
  • rbrighamrbrigham Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2007
    Regarding 'Check Integrity', can you be more specific about what the results dialog window is actually indicating? Is it changing the data of the showfile? Why can I check integrity, immediately reboot the console, then check integrity again, and have the process find more pallets to 'fix'?
    I am just unsure as to what the check integrity function actually does.

-RB
    edited August 2007
    Oh Chris! Very interesting point about power-cycling DPs. My DPs are on stage and running on UPSs. I honestly haven't rebooted a DP in a year.
    Of course another interesting point is that I am doing a lot more "Hog Network" which means I have a PC running Server that is also on UPS and hypothetically, I might never reboot it either as long as I am just running cues and scenes.
    I would be tremendously interested in knowing more about the benefits or problems I'm facing. Since I don't completely understand the full nature of the system architecture, sometimes I just guess.
    As for the DPs, is power-cycling something I should consider more often?
  • dkayserdkayser Registered User, HES Staff
    edited August 2007
    RB:

I wish I could give you a straight answer to the check integrity function; in truth, it shouldn't exist, and would not exist now except for legacy reasons. Before we are finished here, check integrity and garbage collect will become extinct, but it cannot happen without due dilegence.

Todd, the power cycle of the DP's isn't necessary to achieve the desired result of flushing all resources, you can use a Node reset macro to get the same benefit. The only difference is that you will not get the elecrical-equivalent of a system reset, but that would only make a difference in a very, very small number of cases.

We are striving to make this system as fail safe as possble, thanks to all for their help in making this goal.

Donald
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2007
    :D I just had to...

DPpower.jpg
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Akito.H wrote:
    Though it might possibly be unrelated

I was playing CD while programming.

Akito

Akito,

The CD could very well cause the slowdown problems. This is a known problem and can vary on consoles depending which model of CD drive is installed.
  • dkayserdkayser Registered User, HES Staff
    edited August 2007
    Sami! That's nothing, I have the 6-way model: I can reset all my DP's and IOP's at once!
    edited August 2007
    bradpepe wrote:
    Akito,

The CD could very well cause the slowdown problems. This is a known problem and can vary on consoles depending which model of CD drive is installed.

BRAD,

Just white one.
    Not x52.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2007
    Donald, I think they have also "expansion" slots under the tape...
    The picture was taken in Tampere Hall
    Really nice guys working there and they love their Hog. They even spend some time to draw the logo :)
    But, this is getting a bit offtopic...sorry.
    edited August 2007
    srautane wrote:
    :D I just had to...

:arms: :banana: :arms: :arms: :arms: :banana: :arms:
    LMFAO!!

Okay, that was freakin' funny.

Too bad I'm a total technology Geek. If there isn't a way to that power strip from a computer through serial or ethernet then I'm just too good for it.
    :18:
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Oh Chris! Very interesting point about power-cycling DPs. My DPs are on stage and running on UPSs. I honestly haven't rebooted a DP in a year.....
    As for the DPs, is power-cycling something I should consider more often?

That is the scariest thing I have ever heard!

For reals, I equate doing a Hard Reset to "blue buttoning" a Hog2 every morning. In earlier builds it was an absolute necessity if you wanted to have a stable programming/playback environment, builds these days it's just good insurance.
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    We're currently adding logic that should reduce the need for users to power cycle or hard-reset their network nodes. You can expect to see this in an upcoming software release.