backup console over network

racefaceraceface Registered User
edited July 2007 in Wholehog Lighting Control
Hi,

is it possible to connect a backup console via network, or is it only possible to backup a console via midi?

Backup console meens a console which takes over the whole show, if the master desk crashes.

thx

andy

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Remember that if you connect two H3 consoles over network, one of them will run as the server...if this one goes down then you lose both boards.

The best way to do a backup (if you realy must have it) is via MSC to a second console with a second set of DPs with a DMX A/B switch to change over if the primary fails.
  • racefaceraceface Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Yes I know, that I will lose the show, if the server crashes. But I was hoping that there will be an easier way to backup a show, without two desks, DP-sets and DMX-Mergers.

It would be nice for "smaller" shows to get a notebook as a backup or another desk via ethernet. In fact there would be less complexity of DMX-wiring.

This is a nice feature at the GrandMA desk. If the master-console crashes, one or more slave-consoles takes the show using the same network and DMX infrastructure.

maybe some day it will also be possible at H3.

Thx

Andy
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Andy,

We do have plans in the future to allow network backup capabilities. I currently however do not have a timeline for implementation that I can post on the forums.

thanks,
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2007
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3813

Here's another similar post discussing backup systems,

Regards C
  • Diztortion SinfernoDiztortion Sinferno Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Upstaging's 4 universe DMX a/b switch for the win!

http://www.dmxdatalynx.com/
  • leebotleebot Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I have used a Hog 3 as the server with a Ipc as the client. The actual show being run from the client console. Thru a series of events which I have been unable to reproduce the operator was able to crash the Ipc desktop he was using to play the show. I however was able to take over from the Hog 3 with barely a hickup. So while it may be true that if you crash the server you crash the show if you run the show on the client you are less likely to loose the show as I have yet to see a Hog 3 crash completly unless the incomming power droped below 90 volts. However I would be very leary of running a laptop as my show server. You must be very sure of the laptop and of course turn all power management and hybernation features off.
    edited July 2007
    Lee,

When your Hog iPC crashed, it was probably just the local Desktop, which would explain why the client, the server, and the playback were all still working. Did you happen to open the process window and try to restart the desktop on the Hog iPC? I bet that would have had that desk continue without a problem...
  • leebotleebot Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I looked at the operator's (IPC) screens realized they were blank and took control from the Hog 3. All told no more than 1o seconds of time went by between lockup and when I took control. Judging from what I have see with this particular operator he ran into the not pressing enter after fixture selection bug. As I have run the show before on both consoles with no problems. And indeed it was only the local desktop that crashed not the entire program. He still had playback but due to some unexpected changes he needed the programmer.
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Lee for the update. I am glad that the show went on well and that the system kept going.