New to Macro

Hey gang

So I am introducing myself more and more to macros and their uses during a show. I do more corporate type of gigs so most of my cues are just on a fader and release type basis the majority of the time. I want to learn how to program macros. The manual touches on it but not thoroughly enough for a intermediate guy like myself. How do you guys like using them on your shows? Is it more for a busking ability or is it a main feature of your setup? Also, there is a 'macro' window and a 'command' window. Aren't macros commands? What's the difference with usage?

Any insight to all this would be greatly appreciated, I aspire to go on a tour and want to be armed with the knowledge like all you badasses out there doing the damn thang! Peace.
  • I use macros as programming aids, and sometimes for busking, where they can be useful for changing fade times on the fly. Basically anywhere there is a key combination you use regularly, a macro can be a great tool.

Commands are what is on the Command keys. They can contain any directory item (lists, scenes, macros, palettes. etc). Again, can be useful for programming or playback.

You can teach yourself about macros very easily.

"Record Macro 1 Enter" will start the recording process, you will see the led in the Macro key light up. Now enter your chosen key sequence - start with something simple. When you have finished recording, hold Pig and press Macro to stop the recording process.

Press "Macro 1 Open" and you will see the macro open in a window, looking like a cue list. If your macro did not include any screen presses then you can delete step 1 "Recall View". Edit the Wait and Duration times, 0.1s is a good place to start. The selections in the Command columns can be edited, double click or highlight and press Set to open up a drop down menu. Now if you press "Macro 1 Enter" the macro will run. You can also open the macro window, turn off guard, then you can trigger the macro by touching it. You can also trigger them from a comment macro in a list or scene, or move the macro to a command key.

That's a quick and dirty guide, but from here you should be able to poke about and get a good feel for how macros work, and what you can achieve with them.
  • Awesome man! This was the answer I was looking for. Quick, simple, and precise enough for me to just wrap my head around it. Thanks for the how to.