Midi Control with midi controller on different pages.

Can anyone help me figure out how to control only the second page of cues on a Road Hog 4 via midi? I can already control the cuelist via midi notes control. However when I flip pages I want only the midi controller to control the console. Or if I could stay on page one and let page two be in the background. I basically need more physical buttons/Faders/etc. I am very limited by the 10 faders that the console has. I am not able to buy a wing wing with the budget so I am trying to do it in a more affordable way. On the Hog manual the Midi notes only go fro 0-10 for the playback bar. Are there different midi notes for page two that only control page two/3/etc? Help on this would be much appreciated. I am also open to other options that allow me more physical buttons.
Thanks
  • Do you need buttons or would you be able to use "buttons" on the touch screen of the Roadhog. The reason I ask, is with that much screen space, you have a lot of room for screen buttons that can trigger just about anything.
  • I guess I could just use on screen buttons. What is the the best method for this? I do have some cue list I would like to have a fader feel though. Like rising up the intensity slowly.
  • Copy that…just wanted to get an idea of what all you were trying to do.

There are a few things I would suggest…

Use the console screen wisely. You have a TON of space. Some of this setup will take some time and playing with to make sure you have everything working smoothly. Organization is KEY.

Setup a view of the cuelist directory (sometimes I use the "copy" and split the screen), a row of macro buttons at the top (or two if you have a lot of them)
    Depending on your fingers, choose small, medium, or large icons. I use a combination of medium and large. I have one cuelist directory window with "large" buttons for things I want to hit without missing. I have another window (sometimes more) of medium buttons and broken up. My macro buttons are all medium.

Console preferences:
    Under MISC - Faders should be "LEAVE IN BACKGROUND"

For the cuelist:
    Depending if they are multiple cues in the list or single cues that you're triggering makes a difference. If they are single cues, set the options to include "Add release end cue" - this will enable you to push the button once to trigger it and a second time to release it.

For layout..here is basically what I have:
    Top Row:
    Macros - Medium Buttons - Full Width - These are my direct selects for pages.
    Cuelist Directory - (this is the organization part)
    This is broken up in Quadrants
    Effects / Colors
    Beams / Chases
    Bottom row Positions (LARGE buttons)

When laid out this way, you have access to a large group of things to mix and match and play live.

Now since you are on a RH4 and not a FB or Full Size, you don't have the motorized faders. This isn't a problem, but you need to be aware of this limitation when switching pages as you'll have to match levels to take control.

This is just an example of some things of how I setup my pages…

Page 1 - Fixture Intensities - This can be broken up however you want to break up the 10 faders (odds, evens, spots, washes, ds, us) whatever…
    Page 2 - Any "Special" faders you want - fly out to house in IPCB Faders, etc…
    Page 3 - Tap Sync Chases for sync
    Keep adding as needed…

Make your macro row to go to "PAGE x ENTER" to make page changes not in order. Label the macros as "Intensity" "Special" "Chases" etc….

This will help you bounce back and forth QUICKLY and really utilize the 10 faders as best as possible.

Does this help? Make sense?
  • If you want them all - you can also use OSC (and possibly Midi, but I'm not sure) to control faders 11-20, 21-30, etc. on the same page.
    Make the playback bars viewable and load items onto them.
  • Thank You for this. I really like how you set up your console. I will definitely give it a try. I kind of gave up on the midi control thing. I called High End and they walked me through it but it still was not working. They told me to enable a wing and then go into midi notes and set my midi channel to affect playback bar #1. I never got this to work because for some reason the board is hard coded on midi notes 1-10 and for some reason the channels do not change. So no matter what I did on the controller it would still affect the console faders only. I think this is du to me not actually having a wing. I did however get it to work when I disabled the console and just left the wing active. But this was not what I was trying to accomplish. I never could get both at the same time.
  • No worries…let me know if you need any more help. I like OSC because you can make the message whatever you need and doesn't need a lot of interfacing. A lot of times, I have an iPad running TouchOSC with faders 11-20 on it as a way to get to some faders. Again, just look at your workflow and start building. There's a lot of flexibility especially on a RH4 with the HUGE screen.
  • On OSC I am having trouble with the play button triggering cues? Any ideas? the flash and fader works but if I change it to a go button or try play or back it does not work. I am using once as a fader wing.
  • Are you using "Auto" settings in your coding?
    What code is on the button?

/hog/hardware/go/1 will give you a "play" on fader 1. I don't have any issues making play work…so it's got to vein the coding.
  • Auto? Not sure but most likely. hmm....is this coding through the osc editor? Sorry but I am a little new to this. Where can I see how it is coded?
  • Yes…load the page in the TouchOSC Editor. You can click on any button and it will tell you on the left hand pane what it is coded for.

It's pretty straightforward…but does take a little getting used to. Play around with the editor and you can see how flexible and useful OSC is. Start with the templates…and then you can get to where you make custom pages for whatever you need.