Midi Notes help

I'm trying to use an APC-40 as a midi controller for Hog3. Testing to see if I can make it work before I decide to buy a Nano4. I'm torn between all the "pc" controllers from the big boys.(ma, hog, avo, martin, chamsys...)

If I can get Midi Notes to work smoothly and simply, Hog wins, hands down.

I haven't been able to find a walk through that works for me. Any points in the right direction?
  • What would you like to do?

In the network window when you go to the console settings you can set up everything for your midi-notes.
    In the manual you find a page which key is mapped to which midi-note on which channel.
    Also you can trigger comment-macros via midi-notes.
    Very easy to configure and use
  • It seems simple enough, but the layout of the APC-40 doesn't seen to translate well.

I can only assign 1 channel to comment macros, not all 8 channels that I can tell.

On the APC-40, I would like to assign the faders to "faders" and the buttons to scenes and/or cuelists and/or flash buttons. Maybe I need to use a midi translator of some sort, but that takes the simplicity out of it.

Maybe I should be looking for a different midi control. I basically want to make a bunch of go and flash buttons.

Heres a link to the APC-40 map.
    www.akaipro.com/apc40map
  • Here's a few things…
    On Hog 3, there is no Midi mapping for encoders or faders so that is out. (Hog 4 can do them with OSC so if you go Nano, you should be good)

You are correct that you can only tie 1 channel to Comment macros. I had requested for being able to do multiples, but have never seen that but you have a lot of notes to use so you should still be able to do this.

Here's a midi note map I made for when I started doing Midi Note Control with Hog 3. It may help you out.

[ATTACH]2643[/ATTACH]

For what you're doing, would it be possible to use an iPad with TouchOSC and output Midi notes from the dock connector using the Camera Connector kit? Then you could setup a page of buttons and trigger anything you want.

Just a thought…
  • Jon, with a Nano the Encoder and Faders are blocked via OSC!
    There is an open request that any original HES hardware should unlock this feature, so Nano would mean Faders and Encoders on OSC, Playbackwing would give faders, programmer-wing would give encoders.
    With a real console (not a nano) you can also control the console-fader via midi controllers.

And only for flash and go buttons Touch OSC would be the way to go with HOG PC and Nano.
    I have made a layout for playback-bar 2-4, only the go, pause and flash buttons. Enough for the most efx-stuff
  • If only I could assign comment macros to multiple channels, all would be good. Other than that, ehhhh.

Not the possibilities I was hoping for. I was trying to mimic through midi the way MA2 does their DMX-IN assignable to different executers.

I want cheap buttons!
  • Tony,

If all you want is cheap buttons…why not make a view on the Nano screen (assuming it's a touch screen) of the cuelist directory?

Depending on your screen size, you can get about 100 "executor" buttons on the screen and still have real estate for the "normal stuff."

I have a "Executor" view that I switch to when running the show and it's a full page of buttons for busking live.

Just a thought...
  • This is certainly for busking style.

Usually I fill a screen with virtual playback bars and touch each to connect to main Go and play lists that way. I also use scenes that fire multiple go cuelist macros. I would like to connect some of them to physical buttons.

What can I say, I like physical buttons. Its uncomfortable to hover oddly above a touch screen instead of having buttons I can feel before I fire them. Let alone rapid firing cues on a touch screen is not ideal at all. Multiple cuelists together is even more of a pain.

The new "kind" keys are a nice addition. I noticed they weren't pageable. ie.different setups recorded to their own selectable page(s). It seems like I may be able to build a macro to change them on the fly easily, but would be a hellava macro to build. Whole lotta trial and error.

I love that the buttons on the screens are resizable now in H4. You can have a ton of buttons available now. I would love to see that upgrade drift to H3

I understand why they don't make it possible to use outside gear, but I can plead and wish. DMX-IN would be my greatest desire. I recently used an Avo Pearl as a wing for my MA2 using DMX-IN. It was hideous and glorious! I would love to set up a festival using a Hog4 with an MA2 as my wing. I'd tell all the guest LD's its best used that way, then brag about the Hog.

But it does seem simple enough to implement at least having comment macros available for each midi channel not just one at a time.
  • This one has a touchscreen as well, but maybe you like it:

www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php

OSC, so you can trigger as much stuff as you like
Related