problems using update

Robert WitRobert Wit Registered User
edited March 2007 in Wholehog Lighting Control
Hi,

I've had 2 problems with a show I programmed on 2.0.1, and upgraded to 2.1.0.

First problem: I modified some position of a moving light, wanted to update the position in the position palette, this results in half of the led-stips turning instantly in another colour. I can reproduce this bug.
I use the auto - update function a lot, since version 1.3.9 this never functioned anymore like it used to do... Moving lights sometimes just ignore the auto-update, pressing undo and than auto - update again does the trick. ( but during showtime this isn't very nice :aiwebs_007: )

Second problem: same show, opening a cue, knocked out one of the conventional lights, pressed update. This resulted in losing all information for all the moving lights for the rest of the show. Had to load the last saved showfile to recover my programming. I can't reproduce this one unfortunally... Lucky for me this happened before the doors opened!

best regards,

Robert Wit

Comments

• Emiliano MorgiaEmiliano Morgia Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2007
    Robert Wit wrote:
    First problem: I modified some position of a moving light, wanted to update the position in the position palette, this results in half of the led-stips turning instantly in another colour.

Did you use CMY or HS ?
  • Robert WitRobert Wit Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I used cmy, after the update turned the colour into a HS value ( wich is not the same as the cmy value ).
  • d.pendletond.pendleton Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I've been having trouble here too, Using update on a show from an older release, updated console, had a host of issues.. the update key on the console is not responding. I can get to "update" using the record/choose function though. Problem is resolved for a short while after a restart. This is an intermittent problem, i'm trying to recreate the issue so i can report it as a bug.

Also had issues editing global effects, causing console to crash and displays to go black and console failing to respond. - again, I'm working to establish exact key presses in order to sort this as a bug.

We've got another issue where the green playback led's remain stuck on, on a particular playback section & playback master. This doesn't cause any operational issue other than confusing people, although can usually be fixed by selecting another "choose" and then back again. (I think this is a known issue)

The last thing for now is the refresh issue. The refresh on the displays (external displays more) is distracting. There are noticeable lines & flicker on the displays. I'm using relatively cheap tft's which are inevitably running at 50hz, so was wondering it it's something to do with the testing running at 60hz? - If so, we'd see frame drop & thus a flicker? (Is anyone else in a 50hz environment noticing this?) Is it possible to set the refresh rate of the graphics card in the desk?

Eer.. I think that's it for now.. Cheers..

Deano

:09:
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2007
    As I posted in the other thread as well....

I have had no issue with update in either one of these software versions, and I use it quite often as well (not to say you are not haveing issues....):(
    Out of curiosity are you having the same issues if you try to Merge new data into a pallette or cue?

When using Update you must be careful that you look at all items in the pop-up list to be sure that you are doing exactly what you want and no data is going somewhere you don't want it to go. (Black "bullets" indicate the destination for your data...if you didn't already know.)

Also....I belive it is a known issue that you cannot directly edit a Per Type or Global pallete directly from an editor...you must Merge new data in these cases.

Hope this helps:)
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Robert,

If you have a show file that is consistently exhibiting the update problems that you describe, it would be great if you could send it to me along with steps that I can use to reproduce the problem.

You can send me the show file using our file upload web page:
    http://upload.highend.com

Thanks.
    edited March 2007
    Dean,

The Auto-Update feature presents the operator with a list of possible destinations for writing data in the editor. It builds this list based on what playbacks are active and controlling the values that have been edited. The list will include cues or scenes controlling values that have been changed and other cues and scenes that are active on-stage. If there aren't any playbacks active, you will not see an auto-update dialog. If you have a reproducible case where the auto-update dialog does not appear (there are a couple of these out there, although they've been around for a while) I'd be interested in taking a look at your show file.

How are you trying to edit global effects?
    When your console "crashes", do you get any error messages? What happens?

The issue with play LEDs remaining on after cues complete is a problem that I'm currently looking into. Based on what I've found, this seems to be a purely cosmetic problem that doesn't affect playback in any way. I'm looking for all possible ways to get this to occur, so If you're able to reproduce it I'd like to hear how you're doing it.

The flickering that you're seeing is most likely because v2.1 software includes a huge rework of our views code that involved stripping out a lot of code to increase the performance. We've increased our performance significantly and maintained a constant level of stability. One of the side affects of these changes is that some windows now exhibit a slight flickering as they update. We are still working on improving view and windowing performancee and we will be working to reduce the amount of noticable flicker in an upcoming softwae release.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Thanks.
  • rbrighamrbrigham Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2007
    Tom,

Updating HTP Scenes is not bringing up the dialog box. Are you seeing this too?

-Bob Brigham
  • Robert WitRobert Wit Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Marty,

I don't have a problem using the record / merge function updating a position palette, this works fine.
    But I use the auto-update function a lot, never had problems since version 1.1.21....
    It seems that in (some) shows created after 1.3.9, the auto-update doesn't allway work properly, not only the show I'm working on at the moment, also colleges of mine have the same experience.

I'm going to send the showfile to Tom Erickson, perhaps he can sort out what went wrong.

Thanks and best regards,

Robert
    edited March 2007
    Bob,

Defect #7476 is currently open for problems with using auto-update with HTP cuelists and scenes. I've added a comment to this bug based on your report.

Thanks.