Having Network "issues"

Hello all - I am using Hog4 PC in a PC lab situation and my network folks are "shutting down" my accounts as the Hog seems to need to run on an account that has administrative privileges... funny high school students seem to like to be able to administer accounts and settings they shouldn't need to be messing with....:aiwebs_030:!

With windows 7 the program refuses to run because the computer "is making changes to this computer" and of course the default setting now in place with admin is the "hell no you are not making changes:nono:" setting.

Does someone know a work around (i.e. what files / folders need to be accessed / administered) so that I can get our tech folks to give students logging in permission to run the program:dunno:?

Thanks

Rob
  • I REALLY doubt if it will work, but try changing the install directory to something that your user account will have full access to. Like %HomeDrive%%HomePath%\hog or %UserProfile%\hog

if that doesn't work(and I'm assuming that your school implements active directory), see if they are willing to make you a local administrator on that computer. Which will give you total control over that computer, but still give you their predefined access everywhere else. It's been a while since I've had to do it, but if I remember correctly it goes something like this:

On the computer your trying to set up with Hog:

Open the computer management screen (right click on "My Computer" or "Computer" and then click manage)
    Navigate in the left pane to Local Users and Groups->Groups
    in the right pane find the Administrators group, right click and click on "Properties"
    In the window that pops up click "add"
    in the window that pops up enter DomainName\UserName or User@domain.local
    click ok
    click "apply and okay"
    restart
    try running hog
  • michandrz

They don't want kids to have any "administrative" function what so ever... it really is a pain as if the kids do get it (admin rights) they screw with the network.

So much for the simple fix... I will try re loading the program as you suggest in the opening lines - perhaps this will do the trick....

Still looking for a fix!

:sad:

Rob
  • The method to which I explained above only allows them to screw up the machine that they are currently on.

I'd say your best bet then is to tell the school IT department to either come up with a solution or remove the computer from the network and have it as a stand alone machine just to run Hog.

Another idea would be to create a generic account and give the password to a teacher/faculty supervisor.
  • Will do - thanks for the replies - I will forward all the content to our IT folks - looks like they will have to find a solution:)! Hard to teach a program you can't run!
  • I have had to deal with this in the past...and the IT folks at one High School were able to give the students a computer that would only be used for running lighting.

They didn't ghost the computer with all the school programs and default features they implement on computers school wide. It was a basic installation of either XP or 7, single user account which had administrator access.

In that instance, they didn't connect the computer to the network at all.

See if they have an old computer they could allocate for this, reinstall the OS, and only use it for lighting.