Controlling digital mixer?

I'm curious if anyone has tried this or knows a little more about it.

I'm in the process of trying to pitch a new digital mixer (w/flying faders) to my employer for our shows - These are summer-long "same show 4 times a day" types of shows. Currently we run some kind of soundtrack w/timecode, the timecode controls our Hog500, with someone sitting in the booth still running audio faders and mutes.

While I don't intend on this replacing the booth tech, I feel it would cut down on "user errors" if there were some kind of control to be able to be sent to a digital console (and an added bonus for my "pitch")

I've heard from some users of these consoles (specifically the Yamaha PM5D and LS9, but I have a feeling it would work with others too) that while they cannot respond to direct timecode, they should respond to MSC commands, but they have never tried what I am attempting. I got to thinking, I know the Hog can output MSC commands via the MIDI Out connector (and therefore running this into the audio board), but can it send specific commands at specific times (I'm thinking macro cues or something that are included in the timecode list)?

Has anyone tried or heard of this being done? Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of getting one and trying it out without convincing the "powers that be" to purchase a digital board first and trying it after.
  • [QUOTE=ctclark1;57384]I've heard from some users of these consoles (specifically the Yamaha PM5D and LS9, but I have a feeling it would work with others too) that while they cannot respond to direct timecode, they should respond to MSC commands, but they have never tried what I am attempting.

PM5D(-RH, -EX) has a single list chasing LTC or MTC from either the silkscreened connectors or MY ports. LS9 does not.

[ATTACH]2312[/ATTACH]

neither PM5D nor LS9 can parse MSC; LS9 uses MMC for .mp3 transport.

both PM5D and LS9 share an exhaustive SysEx interface architected of functions that take parameters and return structures.

both PM5D and LS9 have a program change table which default-populates with program changes to recall scenes 0 - 499, and can be configured for program change banking.

See Wholehog II Handbook p. 147 for attaching serial MIDI to a cue.
Related