3.2.0 b3148 Two part Console and DP connectivity

8-11-11
V3.2.0 b 3148
1 - Hog 2
1 - DP 8K (new unit, June 14 build date)
1 - DP 2K in Art-Net Mode
1 - Netgear switch

Issue 1 - This may or may not be an issue. When the unit powers up and is not attached to a console, it does not boot into the No Server screen. It goes as far as "initializing show", sits there and every 5 seconds the screen briefly goes blank and code runs through it. Then it goes back to the initializing screen. This is the only DP I have noticed doing this. This could be completely normal, but like I mentioned, I have not noticed this before with other units.

Issue 2 - The console will not talk to the DP. This is the primary issue. With the console up and running, the DP will never load the show and join in. The DP always shows scanning for show, or occasionally when it does completely boot, it shows no server and will not join.

Occasionally, in the network window of the desk it shows the DP as being there, but being offline. However on the DP, it shows it as not being connected.

This originally led me to believe it was a DP issue especially when coupled with the first issue. However, when I bring out a different desk, that DP joins right in and runs fine.

I tried the problem console on a different DP rack and have the same issue, no communication.

When I added a second console to the network, it drove the DP's and then the first desk was able to control them as well. I took the second console away and the system still worked. Shut the system down, started a new show, and I'm back to the same problem. The console won't talk to the DP's.

So, it looks like there seems to be an issue with the desk starting communication back and forth, but once that door is open, it's happy.

I have re-installed software on the console and tried various cables between the console and DP. The console is set to run a DHCP server and have all 4 red network lights on the back of the desk. Any thoughts?

Much beard stroking going on here....
  • Hey Hillbilly. To clarify, when a DP8000 shows up in the console's network window as offline in black text it means the console has not found the DP8000 but that there is patch information for a DP8000 at that net number looking for a DP8000 to connect to.

Now as far as getting the DP8000 to connect it might be as simple as checking to make sure the DP8000 is setup to obtain IP using DHCP on both the Hog-net and fixture link ports. Check your show files as well and make sure you have set the DP8000's fixture link IP address to obtain IP Using DHCP in the shows you are loading.

If that doesn't smooth things out then lets try starting from a common place so we can troubleshoot:
    1) Console set to 172.31.0.1 (default IP settings) w/ Boot server only checked
    2) DP8000 Hognet port set to 172.31.0.2 with subnet of 255.255.0.0
    3) DP8000 Hognet port set to Obtain IP using DHCP
    4) All units set to port #6600 and single Cat5 cable running between console and DP
  • Chris,

In the network window, the DP shows up as Offline in red. There is nothing patched in this show. Earlier today, it would switch between red and black. This was when there were two consoles on the show.

I verified that the DP was set to obtain and IP via DHCP on both ports. The show file also has the DP's fixture link set to obtain IP via DHCP.

I set the console to only run a Boot Server. The console's IP address is the default. I set the DP's IP address to 172.31.0.2 w/subnet of 255.255.0.0. The Fixture Link side is still set to obtain IP via DHCP. (I'm assuming you meant Fixture Link and not Hognet in line 3 of your suggestions). All units are set to port 6600. As of right now, I have taken the DP 2K and the switch out of line, so it is just Console---Cable---DP8K. Still no luck. I have tried crossover and a straight cable between the two just for grins with no change. Currently sitting with a crossover cable in line.
  • Go ahead and launch in to a show on the Hog3, unplug power from the DP8000, press and hold all three front panel buttons on the DP8000, apply power to the DP8000, and release after you forcing software reload on the front panel of the DP8K. This will reinstall the 8K operating software and will hopefully solve the connectivity problem.
  • I reloaded software and nothing changed. I have also reloaded software on the desk.

I logged off the show and back on. When I logged back on, the DP got stuck on initializing network and flipping to a screen of code every 5 seconds. After about 1 min, this stopped and the DP finished booting into it's searching for show screen.

I confirmed all IP and Subnet addresses were correct on both console and DP.

After logging back on to the show, while the DP was cycling on the initializing screen, the console would show the DP as offline blinking between red and black for that. There is still nothing patched on this show file.
  • Hillbilly,

I'm seeing this as well, on a Hog3 and DP8k, 3.2.0. Also reloaded Hog3 software (full install), and 3-button DP8k software reload.

I don't have a solution, but during troubleshooting, I found that when the DP is in that 'loop', changing the IP of the console (to dhcp and back to default) will 'reinitialize' the network connection and the DP will load. Does this happen the same for you?

I also found that replacing the Hog3 with a HogPC, the DP loaded every time.

-Bob Brigham
  • Yep, I'm seeing the same thing Bob. That one change makes it hop online.

Kind of odd that I'm only seeing this issue on one console. Out of the 4 systems I have here to play around with, this is the only one that does that. The DP will connect to any console, but that particular console won't connect to any DP. Definitely a console issue. But why only one desk? Something to think about.

I would try it with Hog PC, but I can't get this version to load on any machine. I get the service pack 2 error, and Microsoft no longer offers the work around software to fix that!
  • This seems to only work when the DP is running a fixed IP address. If it is set to get an IP via DHCP, it doesn't work. So from that, it looks like it's an issue on the console side with it starting the DHCP server.
  • All of my devices are set to static IPs, with the DHCP server turned off.
    I tested with setting the dp to DHCP, and turned on the server, but it didn't change the behavior, so I went back.

I have only one Hog3 to test with, and it is old (8 years). At first I thought it was a hardware failure, but this can't be since the workaround of 'reinitializing' the network connection on the Hog make the DP load and work fine.

-Bob Brigham
  • I originally was thinking hardware issue as well, but after finding your workaround, it certainly seems software related.
  • Hey Jon and Bob, thanks for the information in this thread. I have been trying like hell to get this to reproduce here in Austin but the problem is not occurring. I know both of you are busy but can you snap a quick video of the DP when it is freaking out and resetting between initializing network and flashing 5s of "code"? I am curious if the "code" it flashes on the screen will provide our developers any clues as to what is causing the issue.

Bob, remind me again when we were troubleshooting this, was Hog3PC able to connect the Hog3 after a fresh power cycle of the Hog3 or did you have to toggle the IP address settings on the H3 after the power cycle to get Hog3PC to see the show?
  • The PC application would not even open when the DP was freaking out. It would kick out a 'HogClock Init' error (repeated this several times). A toggle of the network settings on the Hog3 would cause the Dp to load the show, and then the PC application would open and connect like normal.
    While the Dp is freaking out trying to connect and load to the Hog 3, I tried logging off the Hog 3. This caused the DP to stop its cycling and sit idle. I could then start up the HOGpc, and the show would load fine into the DP, no power cycle required. I then tried to use the Hog3 to connect to the running show (no power cycle, fresh from the last network freakout without trying the workaround), and got 'Database' errors and was kicked back to the load screen.
  • Chris,

It won't let me upload the clip, but I will email it to you. Please note, that it does not show 5 seconds of text, but every 5 seconds flashes the text. In other words, it's a bit of a pain to catch. Pause and frame by frame are your friend with this. Technically, it's not code, but I think it's part of it's boot sequence. Hard to tell though.

As an update, this morning all was still running fine with the console and DP running fixed IP addresses. But, as soon as I switched them both back to IP via DHCP, the network fell apart and nothing will connect again. Incidentally, this is when the DP started flashing code every 5 seconds.
  • I have tried using the upload page and it is giving me errors. Take a look and see if you have the file Chris. If not, let me know.
  • I got it Hillbilly. Our old uploader is quirky. From now on use the wetransfer upload utility we have: highend.wetransfer.com/

Thanks for the video. We are taking a look. It looks like the DP8k app is crashing at this point in joining.

A few more questions (I know I have a lot but we can narrow down where the code is failing with these answers):
    1) Does this problem happen with a new show file?
    2) Does this problem happen if you are just sitting in launcher?

Bob, this sounds like a much different issue than you were having but could be based off the same bad root behavior.
  • Here is the sequence I found to make the DP flash the garbage:

1. Turn on desk, power up DP.
    2. On launch window start new show. (at this point DP is in it's normal idle window)
    3. While launching new show, DP shows status as Joining Show.
    4. New show launches. Open Network window on desk, DP shows as offline in RED
    DP is scanning for show, but will not join. It is no longer joining show.
    5. At this point, the DP is usually locked up and requires a two button push to reset it.
    6. DP resets and sticks on the initialising screen. Code starts to flash every 5 seconds.

I've been able to repeat this fairly easily. What gets me is the fact that the DP will join another desk right away. But the console won't connect to any DP. It's gotta be something on the console side.
Related