MIDI Notes question...

In looking at the OSC/MIDI notes control, I noticed there isn't a MIDI note associate with Assert on the Main Playback Bar notes.

GO 40
HALT 41
SKIPFWD 42
SKIPBCK 43
RELEASE 44
GOTO 45
NEXTPAGE 46

Any chance on getting this button added to the Midi Notes?
  • Jon

Thanks for the information! I have logged this as Bug #15091.
  • There isn't a note assigned to the encoders either.... wink wink...nudge nudge...
    :poke::poke:

Doesn't hurt to ask does it?
  • yes.... I'd really like midi notes for other encoders so I can use my wii controller with it... is there a reason this doesn't exist?
  • Yup...the reason is to keep you from using other controllers for those items (encoders and faders) and to require you to use HES wings.
  • i see... hmmm well that encourages me to just buy Luminar for the iPad in the future... instead of a board that doesn't allow me to do fun stuff like hook up my Wii and Kinect
  • You can still do it with the Hogs just not the encoders. I use TouchOSC and it will take Wii operations. Just have it trigger lists and effects and things like that.
  • oh i see... just using soft keys for MIDI notes? I want to actually control the position of a light.... so I can have it follow me around the room while using a kinect..... and actually point a light in different directions based on a wii controller
  • Trying to keep people from using third party hardware in place of wings is ridiculous. The people who can't afford wings (me) will probably never buy them, and the ones that can will always buy them. When will HES pull the stick out and realize that there's tons of cool things that can be done (see posts above) if we had faders and encoders that were mapped to hotkeys and/or midi notes. It's starting to feel like a lot like Apple in here. Julian88Tex, this also encourages me to look at another solution. Hmmmm onPC2 supports this feature and it's even easier to configure than onPC was. How's that for giving the people what they want. :poke: BUELLER? BUELLER? BUELLER?
  • Agreed :-D. Yeah, I just gave up on the bored.... bought a dmxKing Micro (only $60+$10 shipping) and it's GREAT! Got it working with Luminair on an iPod Touch which is a great program. Controlled all parameters with a lighting using LightJams which allows you to turn Wii data or any MIDI OSC and many other formats into DMX data and that works great as well. Tomorrow I'm gonna hook up my Kinect to my macbook use Synapse to turn Kinect data into OSC... do some conversion with OSCulator and then use LightJames (PC Only) with Parallels and turn that data into DMX and hopefully I'll have a moving fixture that follow my movement :-D.
  • Agreed :-D. Yeah, I just gave up on the bored.... bought a dmxKing Micro (only $60+$10 shipping) and it's GREAT! Got it working with Luminair on an iPod Touch which is a great program. Controlled all parameters with a lighting using LightJams which allows you to turn Wii data or any MIDI OSC and many other formats into DMX data and that works great as well. Tomorrow I'm gonna hook up my Kinect to my macbook use Synapse to turn Kinect data into OSC... do some conversion with OSCulator and then use LightJames (PC Only) with Parallels and turn that data into DMX and hopefully I'll have a moving fixture that follow my movement :-D.

Don't get me wrong. I know that it costs good money for HES to develop the software for their consoles, and I don't expect them to give hardware away for a few hundred dollars. What I just can't seem to wrap my head around is some of their overpriced accessories and upgrades. When I purchased my single universe Hog2PC widget, I paid more than a super widget goes for these days. If I want to upgrade it today, I'd have to pay my local HES dealer slightly less than the cost of a new Hog3PC widget. How does that make any kind of sense when I can just go out and purchase a brand new widget with a full warranty for less than $200 extra dollars?

There once was a time when HES accessories were actually within reach, but over time they have slowly increased the cost of their wings to be pretty much be in line with their entry level console. The reason we will never see encoder or fader support via midi is because HES is concerned that people will start using ENTTEC midi wings or the BCF2000 (which can doubles as a programming/playback surface for Hog2PC) in place of their programming and playback wings. What HES don't seem to understand is that if they did open up encoder and midi support for the people that can't afford the wings, they might actually fork some extra cash over to buy HES widgets instead of purchasing some of the other less expensive solutions out there. Heck, I'd be willing to upgrade my Hog2PC widget and get an additional Hog3PC widget if they opened it up. Not everyone would be using the HES playback and programming wings, but HES would still be selling widgets and have more people using their console. So when a few of these people make it in the industry, they will most likely continue using HES gear, which would lead to future playback, programming, widget, and console purchases. I hope someone at HES actually reads this.

As far as the iPhone/iPad remote goes, I don't understand why HES hasn't hired an iOS app developer to create a remote control app for their console. As another member said in another thread...

I personally think that this is the one thing that Hogs are missing... I am a programmer that uses many boards in addition to hogs, Grand MAs, Jands Vista, Chamsys... to name a few. I love Hog consoles, always have, but when I can remote control all of the other consoles from my iPad and stand on stage and in the Aud to "fine tune" my looks it makes my life a lot easier and my shows look better as a result... Just putting my 2 cents in.
  • I've said it many times before....you get what you pay for, every time.

The H3PC software is free already, with no restrictions as far as FPS hardware add-ons goes.

One thing people may not realize is that the blue anodized aluminum bodies of all the wings, widgets, etc is extraordinarily expensive for HES to buy from the single source that makes them. As has already been seen with the sucess of the new line of widgets (they are much less expensive now), I would think this trend will continue in whatever/whenever the next generation of products comes along which would bring costs down.

Not sure why a widget upgrade would be so expensive or why you did not take advantage of the long running upgrade offer when H3PC initially came out years ago. When they first offered the program it was very affordable (I upgraded my personal widget in this manner for very little).

I've been walking around stages all over the world with a ruggedized tablet PC for years before the "tablet market" opened up, so there are already long-standing good solutions for remote focus for H3. Having said that, I do agree that iOS and Android apps are long overdue (Droid first please ;)).
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;60256]I've said it many times before....you get what you pay for, every time.

The H3PC software is free already, with no restrictions as far as FPS hardware add-ons goes.

I agree with the whole you get what you pay for statement above, however, intentionally leaving features undeveloped that were available in the older console for the sole purpose of restricting the use of third party hardware was a bad move. Some people that actually owned consoles and wings had a real use for Midi notes, and it took almost 3 years of members begging and pleading to get support for it. Why did it take so long? It's simple, it wasn't a priority because HES felt that it would take away from the sales of their wings.

[QUOTE=Marty Postma;60256]One thing people may not realize is that the blue anodized aluminum bodies of all the wings, widgets, etc is extraordinarily expensive for HES to buy from the single source that makes them.

The machining of the aluminum is probably where they are spending most of their money, because anodizing in any kind of quantity is not as expensive as one would think. If this single source is so expensive, why don't they shop around to find a cheaper supplier? This would lead to higher profits for HES and could lead to an eventual drop in prices on their wings. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know what wings used to cost, and they were not that expensive back then.

[QUOTE=Marty Postma;60256]As has already been seen with the sucess of the new line of widgets (they are much less expensive now), I would think this trend will continue in whatever/whenever the next generation of products comes along which would bring costs down.

This is a good thing, and I hope that this trend is carried over to their wings. HES should come up with a black box playback and programming wing and call it their budget line for those of us that are drooling over the blue ones. I'm almost positive that this would increase their console's popularity in some non-profit and low budget venues.

[QUOTE=Marty Postma;60256]Not sure why a widget upgrade would be so expensive or why you did not take advantage of the long running upgrade offer when H3PC initially came out years ago. When they first offered the program it was very affordable (I upgraded my personal widget in this manner for very little).

Back then widgets cost an arm and a leg. The upgrade cost back then made sense as it was approximately 25% of the cost of a new widget. With today's prices of widgets, we are looking at the upgrade costing 67% of a new widget.

The reason that I didn't upgrade back then was because I was waiting for midi playback support and trying to figure out how to afford the upgrade and a playback wing. Also, as we have all seemed to have forgotten, the console wasn't bug free stable when it first came out.
  • [QUOTE=CandC540;60261]...intentionally leaving features undeveloped that were available in the older console for the sole purpose of restricting the use of third party hardware was a bad move. Some people that actually owned consoles and wings had a real use for Midi notes, and it took almost 3 years of members begging and pleading to get support for it. Why did it take so long? It's simple, it wasn't a priority because HES felt that it would take away from the sales of their wings.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.....I don't think that MIDI Notes was intentionally left out.....I think the priority back then was making the H3 platform more stable and rubust (things like DP-8000). There were a lot of features that users wanted, but just didn't make sense to implement until problems had been worked out in the software. Once that "hump" was crossed, we've been fortunate enough to see many features implemented...MIDI Notes being only one of them.

[QUOTE=CandC540;60261]The machining of the aluminum is probably where they are spending most of their money, because anodizing in any kind of quantity is not as expensive as one would think. If this single source is so expensive, why don't they shop around to find a cheaper supplier?

I can't tell you for certain, but I think it had to do with getting batches to match one another in terms of color, finish, etc....I 'm sure they would have shopped around if they could.....the team down in Austin is very much "on the ball" as far as sourcing materials goes.

[QUOTE=CandC540;60261]Back then widgets cost an arm and a leg. The upgrade cost back then made sense as it was approximately 25% of the cost of a new widget. With today's prices of widgets, we are looking at the upgrade costing 67% of a new widget. The reason that I didn't upgrade back then was because I was waiting for midi playback support and trying to figure out how to afford the upgrade and a playback wing.

I went back and looked @ what I paid for my widget, and the upgrade cost a few years later, and it was more along the lines of 10% or so. Also your cost comparison isn't quite accurate, b/c you are using the price for the new black widget. These new ones are cheaper for the reasons discussed earlier, and upgrades don't apply to them.

[QUOTE=CandC540;60261]Also, as we have all seemed to have forgotten, the console wasn't bug free stable when it first came out.

I don't think anyone has forgotten....the platform has come a very long way in a comparitively short period of time (even if it sometimes doesn't feel that way)......I remember the early days of Hog-2 when there were all kinds of bugs in that platform.....
  • I don't understand why they would do MIDI notes for every feature except for fixture parameters unless they'd purposely want to limit you from using them. Its not like its hard to implement this after they've got everything else figured out.

In case anyone is interested... I did get the Kinect, Wii, and iPod working WITHOUT the hog: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is1b_pxpDVM
  • Hello Everyone!

I set on the basis of the supplied images HOG3Pc the driver to be controlled by a Korg NanaKonrtol2 MIDI controller, but for some reason can not control.
    My question: What could be the problem.
    Each would be asked to help because it would be very important.
    Thanks in advance.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gqaqXxXyMlNGZEd2JaTWduUnc/view?usp=sharing
Related