Anyone interested in OSC control??

So, as you know, I like to play with different controls for the Hog (iPhone, iPad, etc) and recently discovered the uses of OSC control.

I've been using OSCTouch for the iPhone and iPad. On top of that, I've been using OSCulator to transcode the OSC commands into MIDI notes. Would anyone be interested in playing with this setup????

The nice thing is that is DOES NOT require running Hog3PC as a client. There are options for both PC and MAC. I have an EMU USB->Midi box on my MAC and it connects MIDI directly to the console. You do have to be on the same network between the MAC and iPad/iPhone.

[ATTACH]2097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2098[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2101[/ATTACH]
  • Here's the "fader" page...

I deleted the groups/pages screens for now since they were getting a little difficult to deal with.

[ATTACH]2102[/ATTACH]
  • I'll send you the info MJ!

It's fun to be able to do it without the networking into Hog3pc and making sure you're in MAP mode, etc.

I still need a clean way to deal with encoders though!
  • Look great Jon,

We are looking at implementing OSC in the future as it is becoming the new standard replacing MIDI in the audio world.
  • [QUOTE=bradpepe;53521]We are looking at implementing OSC in the future as it is becoming the new standard replacing MIDI in the audio world.

That sounds great Brad! I can't wait to see where it leads. This was a lot of fun and I keep looking for new and inventive ways to play with the system...now, about those silly encoders!!!
  • Here's the phone screens (since 1 purchase gets both apps)...

[ATTACH]2104[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2105[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2106[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2107[/ATTACH]

I haven't done the MIDI notes patching yet in OSCulator, but these are the screens I came up with.

If anyone grabs TouchOSC for the iPad/iPhone and wants the screens, just let me know. Same with the OSCulator patches (once I'm done with the phone ones). I can give you the iPad patch now though.
  • For my remote, you need OSCulator (dontation between $19 and $31 requested by developer) and TouchOSC from the App Store ($4.99).

OSCulator is MAC ONLY. TouchOSC shows options for both PC and MAC, but you would have to code your own for PC. Osculator will run without the payment but will occasionally shut down transmission until you click a button (it is a demo version until unlocked).
    www.osculator.net/

TouchOSC is available from the app store and the TouchOSC editor is available on their site. hexler.net/software/touchosc

Now, there are free methods out there, but I haven't played with any of them. MrMr is a free OSC app but I chose TouchOSC because of the editor available on their site. It's easier to deal with. Same with OSCulator. There are free mappers out there (Pure-data Extended comes to mind), but again, I wanted something that was a little more polished and easier to map.

I haven't finished the mapping for the phone yet, just the iPad screens. As soon as the mapping is done on the phone, I'll post those up.

It's completely up to you on if you use my maps and OSC pages or decide to go on your own.

There is no support for any of this other than on the respective programs websites.

www.housetohalf.net/osc/Archive.zip
  • Forgot some VERY important things...

For my OSCulator to map properly you have to setup MIDI notes on the Hog.

Here is how I was setup:

Ch. 1 - Nothing (I use Ch.1 for MSC)
    Ch. 2 - Programming Keys
    Ch. 3 - Playback Bar functions
    Ch. 4 - Comment Macros **

** Note: This is what allows the Fader Full/Fader Zero buttons to work. There is NO TIME on the faders up/down, they are 0 count until we can add time to comment macros.

0 - FM1/0
    1 - FM1/100
    2 - FM2/0
    3 - FM2/100
    4 - FM3/0
    5 - FM3/100
    6 - FM4/0
    7 - FM4/100
    8 - FM5/0
    9 - FM5/100
    10 - FM6/0
    11 - FM6/100
    12 - FM7/0
    13 - FM7/100
    14 - FM8/0
    15 - FM8/100
    16 - FM9/0
    17 - FM9/100
    18 - FM10/0
    19 - FM10/100

I used a M-Audio UNO for my USB->MIDI interface as I had one laying around for a Roadhog. You need some way to get MIDI out of the computer and into the console.
  • Brilliant! I love that the TouchOSC has a computer editor. It was so frustrating sizing buttons and mapping keystrokes with Snatch on a phone.

and tabbed pages!
  • That's why I chose it. I started with MrMr, but I just didn't like the text-based editing. I want GUI!

Yeah, they cost money, but there's a reason they do. Makes it so much easier.

Both the iphone and ipad remotes are multi page remotes.
  • Mick...

See post #9 and #11 for the information...feel free to pull them off my site and let me know how it works for you!

J
  • TouchOSC has just released v1.7.

hexler.net/docs/touchosc

In this new version, you can send MIDI messages directly from the TouchOSC screen. This means that you will no longer need to use OSCulator or PureData to transcode the OSC to MIDI.

There are MIDI solutions for both Mac and PC. PC requires a freeware download to map the MIDI to the USB->MIDI device. The Mac already has the MIDI Audio Setup in the system so no further download is necessary.

I will be modifying my current TouchOSC displays to send the MIDI directly but it will probably take a few days to get it posted here.

Just wanted you all to know...
  • Ok everyone...here's the new TouchOSC Hog Remote with the MIDI directly enabled within the TouchOSC editor. There is no longer a need for OSCulator or Pure Data.

And the same mapping as before:

Ch. 1 - Nothing (I use Ch.1 for MSC)
    Ch. 2 - Programming Keys
    Ch. 3 - Playback Bar functions
    Ch. 4 - Comment Macros **

** Note: This is what allows the Fader Full/Fader Zero buttons to work. There is NO TIME on the faders up/down, they are 0 count until we can add time to comment macros.

0 - FM1/0
    1 - FM1/100
    2 - FM2/0
    3 - FM2/100
    4 - FM3/0
    5 - FM3/100
    6 - FM4/0
    7 - FM4/100
    8 - FM5/0
    9 - FM5/100
    10 - FM6/0
    11 - FM6/100
    12 - FM7/0
    13 - FM7/100
    14 - FM8/0
    15 - FM8/100
    16 - FM9/0
    17 - FM9/100
    18 - FM10/0
    19 - FM10/100

**NOTE:
    Since the Midi graphic came out horrible, here are the instructions:
    CoreMidi is supported natively on OSX and on Windows you just need to run a small app you can find here www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html

Windows XP/Vista/7 users, configure MIDI networking on your PC:
    download the rtpMIDI software (free) from Tobias Erichsen and install it. Follow the setup instructions on Tobias' website or the summary given in the below steps.

-Launch rtpMIDI
    -in the "My Session" top left area, click the "+" button to add a new session (or reuse an existing one if any). you can change the name of the created session by editing the "Local Name" field on the right of the window. This name will appear in your DAW as a MIDI port
    -in the bottom left "Who may connect to me" section, select "Anyone" or "Only computers in my directory"
    -from TouchOSC setup on the iPad, touch CoreMIDI and enable it
    -on the PC, select the line identifying your iPad in the rtpMIDI window and click the "Connect" button: your ipad identification now appears in the "Participants" section (top right). Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session
    -in TouchOSC, now click the refresh arrow on the top right corner in CoreMIDI
    -Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session which should show inputs and outputs.

MacOSX users, configure MIDI networking on your Mac
    -spotlight "Audio MIDI setup" and launch it
    -make sure the MIDI window is visible, if not, enable it using the "Window/Show MIDI Window" menu item
    -from the MIDI window, double click the "Network" icon, the "MIDI Network Setup" window appears
    -in the "My Session" top left area, click the "+" button to add a new session (or reuse an existing one if any). you can change the name of the created session by editing the "Local Name" field on the right of the window. This name will appear in your DAW as a MIDI port
    -in the bottom left "Who may connect to me" section, select "Anyone" or "Only computers in my directory"
    -from TouchOSC setup on the iPad, touch CoreMIDI and enable it
    -on the Mac, select the line identifying your iPad in the MIDI Network Setup window and click the "Connect" button:
    -your ipad identification now appears in the "Participants" section (top right). Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session
    -in TouchOSC, now click the refresh arrow on the top right corner in CoreMIDI
    -Your iPad is now connected to your computer through this network session which should show inputs and outpus.

Attachements provided...
Related