3.1.8 dp8000 update problem

We couldn´t update our dp8k with hog3 and 3.1.8 software.
Forcing update by pressing buttons at startup didn´t help.
Tried with crosscable and switch, no difference.
The dp8k just ran thru a text loop and ended up waiting for update command. Hog3 tried to update the dp8k (as it should), but the dp never got the new software. The textloop in dp8k screen is very fast, but at the end it says that something "FAILED". And after this just endlesly new update suggestions after dp8k loop and the same again and again.

Luckily we had also a Full Boar with 3.1.8.
We connected dp8k to full boar with crosscable (same cable we tried with hog3) and update was succesfull with first try.

After this when both hog3 and dp8k had the same software the system works just fine.

Both hog3 and fullboar have automatical ip settings and running dhcp etc etc... very basic setup.

Updating system has worked just fine up to version 3.1.7.
  • Continuing previous,
    we also have a dp2000, this updated just fine with hog3. So our problem is only with dp8k not dp2k.
  • Network booting a DP8000 can be tricky sometimes.

Did you have your DP8000 set to use DHCP or do you set it to a static IP address? DP8000s, when set to static IP addresses need a gateway address to properly image themselves.
  • Our hog3 and dp8k also have some trouble finding each other at startup (for some time allready before 3.1.8).
    Dp just stays for a long time initializing network. This might take from a minute to 30 minutes or more. Usually after waiting 5-10 minutes we reboot the console. This sometimes helps but sometimes waiting is the only solution.

Now I finally had some time to try fixed ip address and not running DHCP.
    This helped and the network starts to work at once after hog3 show is started. This helps a lot at startup. Sometimes there just isn´t an extra half an hour for rebooting and waiting for system to wake up.

Is it possible that this has something to do with our console age (network card problem or something like that)?

Hog3 is dated to Nov 5, 2004.
    Dp8k is dated to Jan 4, 2010.

So I´m just wondering if this has also something to do with our software update problems?
  • Indeed something is not healthy in regards to the DHCP server process you are running on your network. I am curious if when your 8K gets stuck in initializing network if turning off and applying and turning on and apply the DHCP server on your H3 will kick the DHCP server on.
  • If it's taking 30 minutes to get an address from your DHCP server in normal operation, then you have a network problem. Until you resolve that problem, you'll have no luck getting 3.1.8 to install on the DP8000. DHCP should take 4 or 5 seconds at the absolute maximum.

Do you have spanning tree enabled in your network switches? Are the ports configured in Edgeport mode, or do you have DHCP snooping enabled in the switch? Are there multiple DHCP servers on the network that may be conflicting with one another?

Your best bet may be to bypass the network and use a crossover cable directly between the Hog3 and the DP. I doubt your console has a network problem because if you did you'd have problems running a show, not just getting a DHCP address.
  • Chris,
    turning the DHCP off and back on does actually help the 8K with getting IP. I tried this several times and this way after applying DHCP the 8K gets IP in less than 10 secs. And we have nothing else in network except H3, 8K and switch.

But still with no DHCP and custom IP settings 8K is connected to H3 without any difficulties and quickly. So I´m sticking with static IP for now.
  • Eric,
    the switch we are using is not configurable (Allied Telesyn AT-GS905 10/100/1000). We have tried connecting with crosscable, no difference. We have nothing else in the same network with H3 and 8K so theres no other DHCP server.

With custom IP our setup seems to work better.
    Can custom IP cause some difficulties with future updates to DP8K? I mean is there a reason I shouldn´t stick with custom IPs?

[QUOTE=ericthegeek;52688]If it's taking 30 minutes to get an address from your DHCP server in normal operation, then you have a network problem. Until you resolve that problem, you'll have no luck getting 3.1.8 to install on the DP8000. DHCP should take 4 or 5 seconds at the absolute maximum.

Do you have spanning tree enabled in your network switches? Are the ports configured in Edgeport mode, or do you have DHCP snooping enabled in the switch? Are there multiple DHCP servers on the network that may be conflicting with one another?

Your best bet may be to bypass the network and use a crossover cable directly between the Hog3 and the DP. I doubt your console has a network problem because if you did you'd have problems running a show, not just getting a DHCP address.
  • Just as a side note, and we are not using any DP8Ks OR 3.1.8 so this might be totally off topic, but we currently have a network consisting 1-Laptop running HogPC3 in Windows XP as a server, 1-WH3 console, 1-Hitachi tablet running HogPC3 on Windows 7 wirelessly, 1-Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard with HogPC3 on Windows 7 in Parallels wirelessly via Airport card, a DP2K and all the hard wired gear is switching through a Netgear 8-port switch and the wireless goes through a NetGear 802.11n dual band WiFi router. Even though it's a real dog's breakfast of gear, everything is finding each other and seems to be communicating just fine. We have all of it with static IP addresses assigned everywhere. I give this not as an example of the weirdest collection of gear ever assembled to run a show, but more to say that static IP addresses seem to be the way to go.
  • We also have a DP2K and a laptops with hog3pc connected to system depending on the needs of the production running.

BTW the DP2K updated nicely to 3.1.8 with DHCP, but 2K was added to network after H3 and 8K were up and running so the server was working fine at that moment.

But as Dave says static does seem to be the way to go...
  • Just couldn´t go home without trying 2K and hog3PC in same network with H3 and 8K. Everything works fine as it should. Still using static ip´s.

And this brings an other question in mind, is it possible to update DP´s with laptop+hog3pc?
Related