Wholehog III & DP-2000 Issues

Have a Wholehog III with version 3.1.5 software that doesn't seem to be recognizing a DP-2000.

Had 1 older show file (DP-2000 format) and 1 new show file (DP-8000 format). Merged the old show into the new show file. (Merging the new into the old didn't work.) Of course now in the patch it lists 1 DP-8000. Everything is patched fine on the first 2 universes of the DP-8000 and I have been programming in WYG fine.

I take the console onto the show site where we have a DP-2000. I clone the first 2 universes of the DP-8000 to the DP-2000. However, I can't get output from the DP-2000.

I am running default IP settings with DHCP enabled. DP-2000 is FOH with no switch or hub, just a short crossover cable. Ports and Net numbers are the same. When I go into the network settings it shows the DP-2000 as found but in the column for used it says no. It lists the mac and IP address for the DP-2000 so it appears to be seeing it, but both the DP-2000 and the Network dialog in the Hog III list the DP-2000 as idle after the showfile is opened. For a split second when the showfile is opened the DP-2000 is listed as being used then it switched to idle and the column for used switches to no.

The DP-8000 is listed as yes in the found column but the rest of the info for it is blank. I have tried keeping the patch in the DP-8000 and unpatching it completely, but neither seems to help.

The console has been used recently older show files fine, so the DP-2000 is working, it just seems that for some reason that running a DP-8000 format show on the DP-2000 is not working as simply as it should. Normally it would seem cloning the universe(s) does the trick. I am stumped and would appreciate whatever help people can provide. Thanks.

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates
  • Try this:
    - Unpatch the DP-8000 by using the "Unpatch DP" function in Patch.
    - then from the Network window, right click the DP-8000 and "Remove Node"

My guess is that the console is getting confused with two nodes set to #1....so removing the unused DP should clear it up.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Travis,

Did Marty's suggestion help? Please let us know if you are still having problems.
  • Hi Brad & Marty,

Sorry for the delay in my response. We were in rehearsals all weekend. We unpatched the DP-8000, but when we tried to delete it, it gave us an error message like "Database Error" or "Server Busy." So we left it. It says DP-8000 used but not found and has no IP info. We also changed the Net number to be 2 instead of 1.

Prior to that we tried to change the DP-2000 net number to 1 instead of 2 but it wouldn't allow us to change it. So we cloned that DP-2000 to another DP-2000, deleted the first DP-2000 and then updated the net number on the new DP-2000 to number 1. The console started outputting DMX at that point.

However it is still behaving strangely. Updating cues or doing simple things like Open + Cue or Live + Touch would cause either error windows like "Database Error" or "Server Busy, Please Retry Later" or "------ Assert Failed: Abort, Retry or Ignore" or the cause the console to go to a black screen with just a cursor.

At that point the console locks up. We can move the cursor but PIG + OPEN 't even shut down after the power is turned off. If we turn it back on and wait for about a minute we get the messages "It's now safe to turn off the console" and we turn it off and then on again and restart.

Also we have 1 USB Playback MiniWing connected and 1 External ELO touchscreen. The console seems to be having issues recognizing those USB accessories at times. We are going to swap cables to see if that helps but we usually have to reboot once or two to get the console to recognize either.

I am out of town for a few days on another project, so my LD/L2 has been working with Tom Erickson whom I started working with on Friday. He inspected the showfile and it seemed to be fine. I used the console last week connected directly to a WYG computer with the wing and monitor and everything worked fine. I checked to make sure the network settings were restored to defaults and the console is the DHCP server. There is nothing else on that network. Just the console straight into the DP-2000 via network cable.

Yesterday the console stopped allowing us to record cues or update existing ones. Playback was fine. Whenever we try to update cues, groups or palettes we get one of the 3 error screens I described earlier. Database Error, Server Busy, or Assert Failed.

Things seem to point to an issue with the DP-2000 since everything esle was working fine last week. (The new show file only had the DP-8000 in the patch.) But since we have been on show site and using the DP-2000, that is when all of the issues have surfaced.

The LD is going to reset the DP-2000 and reload the software, switch Ethernet cables and then try to see if we can find another DP-2000. He is keeping me posted via Email and is waiting for a call back from Tom.

Any other help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
  • Travis,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that Tom is working with you as well. It certainly sounds like it might be related to the DP2000. I am sure that Tom will get you sorted.
  • Hi Brad,

I just got back in the office after a week of working on another project. Apparently the problem wasn't resolved and we ended up having to switch the show to an iPC. We first tried running the DP-2000 from the iPC but that did not work, so we just used the internal universes and the show is working fine.

Apparently there is still a major issue with using a DP-2000 with shows built on the DP-8000 system. Also seems to be some question of running Cue Only Lists verses Tracking Lists. Cue only lists seem to make the problems worse. Once we get the consoles back in the shop and get another DP-2000 for testing purposes, we will need to revisit this to ensure that it doesn't happen to other shows/clients. I will upload our show file later this week and be in touch. Thanks.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • Thank you for the update Travis. We will wait for the show file and for your further reports... You seem to be the only one reporting this particular problem so we want to determine what is going wrong here..
  • Just an updated to this issue. We never received any follow-up and never resolved the problem, so we ended up moving the show to an iPC and it ran fine for a while and then started to show the same strange behavior with database errors and lock-ups when trying to update cues or save any new information.

When we turned off auto back-up, the problems stopped on the iPC. Since then I have used the Hog III with 3.1.5 software on other show files and had similar problems until I turned off the auto back-up. It seems there is something in the auto back-up that is causing the issue(s).

I noticed in 3.1.6 on another Hog III I was using that the auto-back-up feature has been removed. I am assuming this is a temporary solutions until you get the bug(s) worked out. Thanks.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • Hi Travis,

Indeed we did remove auto-backup in v3.1.6 as it was found to be potentially disruptive during record and remove tasks such as you mentioned. We hope to resolve this mess in our next major release of 3.2.0 which will be getting tested internally very soon.

Can you describe the issue with cue only in a little bit more detail?
Related