N shot for one cycle chase

Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
I'm trying to set up a simple chase on a master using the effects engine that only runs thru the chase once. I'm running into a problem. When playing back the cue it won't run thru all the channel numbers. It starts on channel 3 and goes thru 6. 1 and 2 never come on. Here's what I have going:
a 6 channel smooth effect using channel 1-6.

ch1 offset 300
ch2 offset 240
ch3 offset 180
ch4 offset 120
ch5 offset 60
ch6 offset 0

N Shot at 1
fade set at 0
release set at 0
I messed around with different effect sizes and lengths but never got it to run channel 1 thru 6.
I also tried the value at various levels
I'm running 3.1.5
Thanks in advance

Comments

• ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2010
    Richard,

I'm missing something...
    What are trying to control? Desk Channels?
  • Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2010
    Yeah just desk channels.
    edited May 2010
    Just to better understand what you have setup already...
    What Effect are you applying to the Intensity? (Sine, Step, Ramp)
    Is the Intensity at 50% before you apply the effect?
    This is all in a single cue in the cuelist?

Effects bias the current level up and down from the staring point.
    So if you start an intensity at 100% and hit it with a sine wave, only the second half of the sine wave affects it, and only brings it down to 50%.
    And if you offset it up, I believe you can get it to never drop the intensity.

At this point it seems you would be better off building a series of cues and running them as a chase.

Describe the chase you want.
    edited May 2010
    I'm using a sine effect. I have the intensity set at 0 but the size a 100. I also tried intensity at 50. It is in a single cue in a cuelist.
    The chase I'm trying to achieve is basically:
    step 1 ch1 @ Fl
    step 2 ch2 @ FL
    step 3 ch3 @ FL
    step 4 ch4 @ FL
    step 5 ch5 @ FL
    step 6 ch6 @ FL
    channel goes out in the cue following when they go on so there's only one channel on at a time. Very simple chase just can't get it to work using N Shot @ 1 cycle.

This is just an example. I would do it as a series of cues in a chase but on the day it will be 52 desk channels and I would like to be able to adjust the length, speed and size. The effects engine works so good normally but it's just not acting like I want it to because of the how i want to just run thru the chase once(N Shot @ 1).
    edited May 2010
    Ah ha!

Forget the effects engine, you should be using the Delay times.

Record all 6 at FULL into CUE 1 in a new cuelist.

Before you record it press the Delay button on the upper right monitor, edit the delay times for the intensity.
    Like,
    CH 1 = 0s
    CH 2 = 0.5s
    CH 3 = 1s
    and so on

You can also Edit the cue after you have recorded it, but be careful to close the editing screen when you are done.

Once you have proven this works, then you can edit the Delay times using normal editing techniques.

Like select all the cells, press SET, then 0 thru 1 ENTER
    This spreads them out across 1 second.

Hope this helps.
  • bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2010
    if you want to have one channel at the time on, using the effect engine, set your table to step, apply the offset as you've already done and set the length to 20% more or less. If you want to run your effect just for one shot, set the Nshot to one.
    edited May 2010
    That's a cool tip. I need each channel to turn off when the next channel comes on and also have control of the cross fade duration and length in case they want two channels on at once. I may just have to build a cue stack chase.
    edited May 2010
    Bellon i wrote my last post before I saw your post. Even if I try your way it won't go thru the whole chase. If I turn N Shot off it runs thru the chase great on a loop but if I set N Shot to 1 it doesn't go ch 1 thru 6 like I want it to. If anyone has a second use my perimeters in my first post and see if you can get it to run ch 1 thru 6. This is so simple but I've never had good luck N Shot. Thanks guys
    edited May 2010
    I didn't realize you wanted them off as the next ones came on.
    Delay timing obviously won't work.

I would do a cuelist chase and adjust the chase properties.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2010
    Not sure if this will work, but leave your table at Sine, leave your base value at 0, make your Size=200, and try a Length around 40. See what that does. You might have to play with the length a bit.
    tfafighter;47052 said:
    I'm using a sine effect. I have the intensity set at 0 but the size a 100. I also tried intensity at 50. It is in a single cue in a cuelist.
    The chase I'm trying to achieve is basically:
    step 1 ch1 @ Fl
    step 2 ch2 @ FL
    step 3 ch3 @ FL
    step 4 ch4 @ FL
    step 5 ch5 @ FL
    step 6 ch6 @ FL
    channel goes out in the cue following when they go on so there's only one channel on at a time. Very simple chase just can't get it to work using N Shot @ 1 cycle.

This is just an example. I would do it as a series of cues in a chase but on the day it will be 52 desk channels and I would like to be able to adjust the length, speed and size. The effects engine works so good normally but it's just not acting like I want it to because of the how i want to just run thru the chase once(N Shot @ 1).
  • stacherastachera Registered User
    edited May 2010
    This might be more easier to manipulate than what we did yesterday at your console...

Q1 - All channels at full, 2 sec fade, 0>2 sec delay
    Q2 - All channels at 0, 2.3 sec wait, 2 sec fade 0>2 sec delay

Then it's easy to tweek Q list rate for speed, and fade for number of channels at full at the same time.

Hope that made sense (typing on iPhone while channel checking the rig)