Two DMX sources, 1 Output, can I use a DMX splitter

So I have some questions on the use of a DMX splitter. I have two sources of DMX for my RIG, Hog PC, and a Hog Desk. Can I hook up both sources to a DMX splitter, and then output to 1 single output at the same time? Or would both units counter-act each other and cause DMX hell? I am trying to run some cues off of the Laptop, and then be able to switch to the Desk, without hooking, un-hooking tables DMX cables, is this possible?
  • HI, A DMX Splitter is just that a Splitter, it only take ONE source of DMX into several Outputs of the same signal.
    If you want to do what you suggest, you need a DMX Merger. It is available from several DMX Equipment suppliers.
    If you by any chance have a HOG III/Fullboar desk you could choose to connect the PC to the network and have share the Show.
    Good luck
  • EDIT: As above....that was being typed as I typed....crazy.

Well, if you want to connect two sources to one output, you would actually need a DMX merger...that's the correct and really only way to do it. This actually, in the case of the Fleenor Combiner, takes two signals and runs on a HTP (highest takes precedence) basis to figure out what to turn on.

However, why don't you just network the two consoles together. So you'd take the desk (assuming it's not a Road Hog, because unless you have a Hog 3, Full Boar, HogPC setup, or iPC, you can't do this) and you take the PC setup, and put them both into a switch. Then, if you have a DP2000 or 8000 for the main console, you also connect that to the switch. Then, both consoles (and any others) can talk to the same outputs without actually having to use a merger....however, you lose redundancy then, and if the server goes down during the show (the PC or the desk, depending on which you call the server when you set up the network) you lose it all.

The manual has a great way to do the latter inside. However, if you want to just use both as you currently do, you'd have to use a Merger/Combiner...and those are expensive!
  • Ahh okay, A DMX merger.

I did not know if you could actually do that with a splitter. I am running My WholeHog iPC, and laptop (Hog PC) on Ethernet with a DP2000. I just did not want to mention the "other source" which only runs DMX, which I use to run my rig with (not a Hog OS... :nono:)...

I still have some shows programmed into to a older system, and have not yet re-created the shows to Wholehog system yet. So I was looking for a quick, and dirty way to incorporate all three devices, without switching cables. HTP sounds like it would really mess with my LED, and conventioal lighting without some extra programming!

Well, Guess I should just get off my lazy butt, and finish the conversion of shows to WholeHog!

Thanks again for all of the info!!!
  • [QUOTE=Misebeam;46326]Ahh okay, A DMX merger.

I did not know if you could actually do that with a splitter. I am running My WholeHog iPC, and laptop (Hog PC) on Ethernet with a DP2000. I just did not want to mention the "other source" which only runs DMX, which I use to run my rig with (not a Hog OS... :nono:)...

Do you mean there is another desk in the mix? Or that your fixtures would speak HogNet?

If you only have the iPC and PC as consoles then the HogNet thing will still work. It would still be the iPC outputting the DMX, but the laptop would be a client to show show via the network so that you can make changes to positions etc with your laptop instead of the console.

Best Regards,
  • Yes there is another DMX controller involved, but it is not a Wholehog system, so it has no compatibility with HOGnet or WholeHog in General. I just need to rebuild the shows in WholeHog, and ditch this other unit!
  • Well I suppose if you had a DP8k instead of a 2k you could use Art-Net and use an Art-Net merger. But yea, convert to shows and go Hog throughout ;-)

Best Regards,
  • "I still have some shows programmed into to a older system, and have not yet re-created the shows to Wholehog system yet. So I was looking for a quick, and dirty way to incorporate all three devices, without switching cables. HTP sounds like it would really mess with my LED, and conventioal lighting without some extra programming!"

Fleenor also makes an excellent Passive A/B switch if you are simply wanting the ability to switch back and forth between desks without having to unplug and re-plug, it can also be useful for reprogramming shows between two different desks... Old desk running the old show, new desk being programmed, switch back and forth to compare the looks.

www.dfd.com/sw.html
Related