ipc Artnet

kurtiswilkkurtiswilk Registered User
Hey guys

Do you think it will ever be possible for the IPC to support artnet out.
Is it software based? Would there be the possibility to add another network port and run artnet that way, either PCI or even USB?

I understand if not, but really just kinda curious if the software can do it, Why not :)

Kurtis

Comments

• MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2010
    The problem is that the iPC hardware just has one network port. So I think they won´t support any more network-ports or do some hardware-upgrades.
    Especially when there are already solutions available to output artnet (DP8000 + iPC) or the Road-Hog Fullboar

I would love to see it as well, but i think this will not happen
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited April 2010
    I would also think that this will not happen for two reasons:

1 - The single network port on iPC is dedicated to Hog-Net usage only, and changing this could be very confusing for the next person to use the desk, or someone trying to troubleshoot a problem.

2 - There have been no new iPCs made for some time now (they have been officially discontinued), so any type of hardware or configuration change is highly unlikely.

Hope this helps. :)
  • kurtiswilkkurtiswilk Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Thats kinda what i figured.

But would it actually be that hard to implement it through USB??
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Well Artnet is ethernet.. USB and ethernet = not the same. A USB to ethernet converter is not reliable, as I wouldn't trust it. Plus I don't think that it would be able to keep up with that constant data rate. Maybe it might work.. But I for one just couldn't find that a possible solution.

This is why they made the DP8000. You can plug it into the console via the hognet port and it will have a separate artnet or sACN output via separate net connection.
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited April 2010
    BTW, nice last name!

Maybe were somehow related! Not the most common name on earth..
  • kurtiswilkkurtiswilk Registered User
    edited April 2010
    The data rate is a large consideration. I don't actually need artnet yet, *knock on wood*. Hopefully by the time I do, I'm also ready for another console, but a DP8000 would indeed work just as well.

As for the name, I was just thinking about that.
    Name goes back to England I believe