How to do a "figure eight" pattern in effects with movers

Hi, does anyone know how to do a figure eight pattern with a moving light in the effects on Hog3? If anyone knows please help me out. thank you
  • It depends are you doing it for yokes or mirror fixtures.

Yokes do figure eight, if you use circle and the tilt goes between positive and negative values of tilt.
    It happens when when size of tilt FX is big enough and the base value is suitable.

If I remember right, when using mirror fixtures figure 8 is pan using sin and tilt using cos (sin+90°) at half speed compared to pan.
    I think it works also with yokes, but only if tilt doesn't go between negative and positive values.

I might be totally wrong, cause I had no chance to test this...
  • With moving yokes, as long as your rate on Tilt is twice that of the rate on Pan, and your offset is either the same or 90° off of each other, you should see a figure 8. Keep in mind that the more you tilt down, the more you will lose the effect.....but size doesn't matter much except for getting the right looking figure 8. If your Tilt size is smaller than the Pan size, it will be a nice horizontal figure 8.
  • The two dimensional representation of sine waves with different frequency and phase is known as a Lissajous Pattern. The figure-eight pattern described above is a relatively simple case.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve

Most moving lights don't move fast enough to let you see the full beauty of some of the more complex Lissajous patterns, but the effects engine does let you play with basic versions. I like to think of it as the adult version of a spirograph.

(Letting my inner physics geek come out to play for a moment)
Related