Studio Spot 250 Focus

Hi!

I purchased a few Studio Sport 250. One has a problem with the focus. It does the reset allright, but if I ride the lens to the farest position, it does not come back :-(
If moved by hand, the motor feels very smooth. I tried to move the C-Clip on the Post a little down, but this did not work. Could it be the Driver-Chip?

Thanks for all advices.

UWE
  • ???? " leadscrew (worm gear) nut. " I have some problems with some of my 250 not focusing the same as others. tried to set them and the keep until the next time i power them up and then they'er off again.
  • [QUOTE=Uwe74;44780]Hi!

I purchased a few Studio Sport 250. One has a problem with the focus. It does the reset allright, but if I ride the lens to the farest position, it does not come back :-(
    If moved by hand, the motor feels very smooth. I tried to move the C-Clip on the Post a little down, but this did not work. Could it be the Driver-Chip?

Thanks for all advices.

UWE

How smooth is smooth? You ought to be able to feel the steps in the motor, if it spins freely the motor is bad.
    Feel a good motor and the resistance, slight and a tiny bit chunky and even throughout (the steppers) Now feel that motor. If the resistance is nill then it's what I call a spinner, replace it. If it's harder in a spot then smooths out, replace it.
    When you hold the motor in your hands close your eyes and let your fingers give your brain the needed information.

Motor feel is a learned thing. Don Pugh taught it to me and I've refined it to an art. If there are more than two bad magnets in a motor I can feel it. Seriously.
    A local company that uses a lot of robotics calls me every few months to examine units that are not working properly to feel the servo motors to see if they need replacement or the problem is somewhere else.
    Some of their motors are a thousand dollars each so they want to make sure where the problem is. Their tech's don't get it and I'm not going to tell them my secrets. They pay me $300 just to walk in the door for the first hour.
  • I kid you not.
    Don Pugh and Mike taught me a lot back when the school was just that, school. I've been working on HES equipment since 1989 for many a production house here in Atl. Literally by the thousands to the point I even taught an advanced class once because I had more knowledge than the instructor who was sent in on several products at the time and I had enough of a bunch of them to bring them to the class so everyone could have one of each for the class.

I'm no electronics wizard by a long shot, many here are much better than me here on these boards, but on some things like electro mechanical and servos, I got it down.

Best way to lean steppers is turn out the lights or close your eyes and feel them. Do it enough and you can feel things others miss. In robotics where specs are down to the thousands of and inch sometimes errors in cuts or welds can cost a company assloads of money very quickly. Production stops, recall's must be made. It adds up real fast.
    My fee vs a recall is a drop in the bucket.;)
    With today's economy and lack of work I'll take it any way I can get it.
Related