DL3 Collage and Stock Content

ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
edited March 2010 in DL.3/DL.2
When you do a 2x1 collage does the stock content from the DL3 default to being cropped top and/or bottom?

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Cat,

The content does not get cropped at all, it gets stretched to fill the output. On a 2x1 collage its not terrible, but going wider than that you will definately be able to tell the content has been stretched.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Matt,

I've never used DL3's before, but from my experience with DL1's and Catalyst, I believe I can adjust the X and Y scaling and crop some of the top/bottom if I want to?
  • Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2010
    yes you can adjust the scaling of each image on the graphic layer under Beam. There is Image X, Y and Z Scale. If you want to crop the top and bottom you could use another graphic layer and make your own matte. I don't have a DL3 in front of me but I bet you could use an effect(located in under Color) such as horz slats to crop the images.
    edited January 2010
    Richard,

TransWipes is a great effect to use for that purpose. Ben Richards used this on the latest Rob Thomas tour for some special requirements of his projection screen.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks,

I'm looking forward to getting some time on the DL3s.
    Too bad I have <48 hours total load-in to load-out.
    edited February 2010
    I've done some reading, but I want to make sure I am clear on my understanding.

In a DL3 collage (2x1 in this case) how does the DL3's stock content play, and stay, in sync?

For instance, when I select and play a Stock Animation Loop for like 30 minutes am I guaranteed that the two DL3's will not get out of frame sync?
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited February 2010
    First, make sure each fixture has it's own unique fixture number through the CMA.

You have to make sure they are on a network together...even if it is just the 2 networked together through a switch.

You then use the SYNC function.

Make sure the In/Out Frame numbers MATCH (this bit me the first couple of times).

"Sync To" is what DL fixture number to sync to

"Sync Mode" is what to sync to (ie Graphic 1 movie time).

Hope that helps...
    edited February 2010
    Ahh, Chapter 10 Page 105.
    At 368 pages the manual is a novel.

I going to plan on a day at my rental shop getting familiar with these before load-in.

Thanks Jon.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited February 2010
    No problem Chris....if you have any questions, just give a shout!
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Keep in mind that Sync commands are only adhered to when used on GFX layer 1.

So the sync ID and Sync type must all be set on GFX-1. Any settings on GFX-2 or GFX-3 will be ignored.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited February 2010
    Hey Marty,

Just to clarify, "Sync to" is only "active" on layer one. This is because a single DL server cannot sync to multiple fixtures. In other words, you can't have layer one syncing to fixture 2, and layer 2 syncing to fixture 3.

However, the "Sync type" parameter does work for every layer. So, you can have layer 1 of fixture 1 sync'ing to layer 1 of fixture 2, layer 2 of fixture 1 sync'ing to layer 2 of fixture 2, layer 3 of fixture 1 sync'ing to layer 1 of fixture 2, however you want to do it.

Hope this makes sense.
    edited February 2010
    Matt,

That's what I was hoping to be able to do.
    Basically crossfade between contents.

Layer 1
    Layer 2
    Layer 1

Meanwhile, layer 3 is taking in video (white text on black background) from an external source and overlaying that over Layers 1 & 2.

I still plan on testing this at my local rental house first.
    edited March 2010
    Woohoo! I test drove the DL3's this week to get ready for our upcoming event.
    NICE!:)

On the sync issue, I ran them without sync'ing and they didn't get out of sync. I let a video loop run for a while and it was fine. How much of an issue is it if we don't sync?

We do need a little help with preparing some of our own content.
    How critical is it to meet the specs listed in the manual?
    The I-frames, CBR, GOP, Progressive Frames, End of sequence?
  • Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2010
    After a while they will go out of sync. I have never properly encoded content for the dl's. I have always just output directly from Final Cut. The problem with that is the I frames (and I'm sure other settings) are not correct. They will upload and play fine but when it comes to collaging they start to have sync problems. If you do synce them togeather there is crazy glitching problems. The work around is just not to sync the layers but you have to reset the play back every 10-20 minutes.