Video Question

Hey guys,
The church that I go to is going to be doing a sermon series called "At the movies" in october. We are wanting to project a 30 x 20 image and I am wondering if it would be better to rent a projector (at 3500 a month with 12000 lumens) or a DL3. Any input would be great. thanks in advanced
  • Hi Kyle,

To really offer good advise, there's a few things we need to know.

1) What are you going to be showing on the screen? Movie clips? Will you need sound to go with the clips?

2) What are your ambient lighting conditions going to be?

3) What kind of throw distances are going to be available?

4) Are there any particular functions of the graphics engine you would be taking advantage of? (i.e. live video input, effects, etc)

5) If you didn't get a DL.3, what would you use to feed the 12000 lumen projector?

Thanks,
  • 1. We are going to be showing actual movie clips, as close to high def as we can get it. Audio will be with the clips

2. Ambient lighting can be anything. We are in an auditorium with no outside light coming in, so lighting conditions can be pitch dark if need be

3. Throw distances can be anywhere between 20 to 40 feet, possible more

4. To my knowledge its going to be used just for video, graphics or effects

5. I am not sure what would feed the projector. Its a brand new sanctuary with a million dollar budget on video and audio installed by Clair Brothers. We have a full television studio so I am sure what ever is feeding the projector will be top notch

hope this helps
  • Hi Kyle,

This helps a lot. A few things to consider:

1) The DL.3 has a native output resolution of 1024x768. This is pretty far from your desire to have close to HD video being shown. One possibility is having multiple DL.3 units collaged together, which will raise your effective resolution, but having multiple units will of course drive your rental rates up.

2) The DL.3 does not have the ability to output sound, nor does the rack mount Axon media server (same server that is in the DL.3, just in a stand alone, rack mount form). You would have to have another solution for outputting the sound that is on the video clips, and sync these two together.

I'm not trying to turn you off to the DL.3, as I think a solution with the DL.3 is possible, just trying to help find the most cost effective set up for what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps,