Technobeam Problems

EvoldicAEvoldicA Registered User
I've been given some techno's to play with that are 'dead'.

One powers up with: |\ |\ |\ |\
. . . .
on the LCD. Fan spinning.. no other leds lit.

The other powers up with fan, all led segments on, and the motor led lit. I'm thinking from reading other messages both should be crossloaded however I only have a Technobeam i. I've googled for a service manual to no avail. :/

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone could provide.

~Bill

Comments

• tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited December 2009
    EvoldicA wrote: »
    I've been given some techno's to play with that are 'dead'.

One powers up with: |\ |\ |\ |\
    . . . .
    on the LCD. Fan spinning.. no other leds lit.

The other powers up with fan, all led segments on, and the motor led lit. I'm thinking from reading other messages both should be crossloaded however I only have a Technobeam i. I've googled for a service manual to no avail. :/

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone could provide.

~Bill

Can't say that I have ever seen a "service manual" per-se from High End, but the schematics and other stuff are right here:

http://www.highend.com/support/discontinued/technobeam.asp

- Tim
  • jeeperjeeper Registered User
    edited December 2009
    watch out you can not crossload the techno i with the older black with silver decals technos!
  • muvmentmuvment Registered User
    edited December 2009
    This is an easy one ( I just had this issue). You have a bad diode thats attached in parrallel to a capacitor on the board. You can simply cut it out and the technobeam will work properly. I'd recommend replacing the diode, as its some kind of over-voltage protection. Call Lightparts for details (they saved my issue, as well).
  • EvoldicAEvoldicA Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Looks like my brain was not functioning properly when I originally looked at the problem. The some driver chips are sucking down the voltage to 3.3v. If I pull some the Techno will boot... Off to see if I can find a decently priced source of the driver chips.. So far about 5-6$ is the cheapest.

~Bill
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Do you have the version with the 3773 drivers? Mouser electronics is about the best I have found . . . same day ship, no minimum, and the 3773 goes for $3.42 in singles . . . . .

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/NJM3773D2/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvYc73DDAmzVrSGEIgrGtl7w%252bg4E6DFSXE%3d

Glad you figured it out, too . . . these chips can fail to a short circuit, and pull the power supplies down . . .

- Tim
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the link. I've ordered, and hopefully by Thursday I will have another fully working TNB. Thanks to everyone.. now off to look for SGM Giotto Wash 1200 schematics. So far.. looks like High End > SGM on that front. :D
    edited February 2010
    Conclusion: One of the stepper controllers blew, and took the voltage regulator with it. It looked as if it was more then one blown because it wasn't able to provide enough current to run all of them. After replacing all new ones it was still not working, and the 5v was held down to 3.3v. Replaced the regulator, and the chip that was toast so now I'm back in business. Thanks everyone!
  • djmanonedjmanone Registered User
    edited July 2010
    It seems I am on the same road. Can you share any info on the voltage regulator you replaced? Mouser or Lightparts part #?
    edited July 2010
    Very standard 5v regulator. Radio shack had it in stock.. Just de-solder the old one and they can cross reference if you need that.

~B
  • dgriggsdgriggs Registered User
    muvment, which diode exactly are you talking about? I have the same problem as OP but voltage regulators look fine, stepper drivers aren't causing the problem (I removed them all, still same situation). I saw another post about resistors/caps out of spec needing replacement, but other than replacing a bunch of the ones near the oscillator I don't know what to do.