Embedded palettes for focus parameter?

Hey Guys,
whats the best way to insure that I always have a sharp beam when dealing with positions vs gobos? There are a few posts on here about it, but I'm still a little confused.

do you make a focus palette for every position? are they embedded? do you make a focus palette for every gobo?
How would you update those palettes? load the position palette and the focus palette at the same time?
  • Hi Dave,
    how are you?

You can have embedded palettes only in the same palettes type!
    you can merge different palette types together (masking) but they did not update when you change the referring palette!

I combine the focus and the position together, not focus and gobo.

!!on older consoles Focus Palettes mean Position Palettes, thats a bit confusing!!

I change the Function type for the focus,from b to f, so focus is in the same palette type as pan and tilt.
    to do that you have to change the following: (on a PC, not on the console!!)
    open the Library folder
    there is a text document named "FUNCTION"
    open that textfile
    search for focus = b
    change it to focus = f
    save the textfile

Now load the show on your console, or hog2pc

you will see the focus Function now when you hit the Focus(Position) Palette.
    now you can record focus and pan and tilt together without masking anything !!
    to set the focus you can choose a gobo, and save that palette on the Position palette buttons without having the gobo in it.
    when you have to change the position you can update the pan, tilt, and focus without any trouble.

when I have fixtures with 2 gobo wheels i copy the position palette and change the focus to have a sharp gobo 2.
    then i have 2 position palettes with the same position, but with different focuses

i hope you understand what i mean, i`m sorry for my bad english.
  • Hey! Doing pretty good, thanks for your response. You're english is great.

Can I change the function type in an existing show? meaning, when I change the function of focus from =b to =f will it work that way when I load the show into the console, or will I have to start a new show?

I'm not understanding the second part, about gobos. Here's the situation, lets say I have 2 positions - one on an upstage curtain and one fan out over the band. In my position palette I can save the focus and it will change from one position to the other keeping the beam sharp.
    Now, I want to add a gobo to this scene, and I want to keep it sharp. This will require two different focus settings (one for the curtain and one for the fan out) especially with a glass gobo.

Are you saying to load the gobo, adjust the focus and save it as a position palette? How do you work that into programming a cue if you are already using a position with focus?
  • Hi Dave, i try to undestand what you want to do.

„In my position palette I can save the focus and it will change from one position to the other keeping the beam sharp.“
    - Do you set the focus with Gobo „open“ ?
    - Is there a difference in sharpness when you set the focus with Gobo Open or with any Gobo?

I think there could not be a big difference.
    So set the focus for Position Preset „upstage curtain“ and „fan out“ using a gobo, maybe you have to do a little bit „fine tuning“ with the focus to match with all gobo`s and the Gobo open,
    so that you are satisfied.
    But dont forget to knock out the gobo before you store the focus to your position palette!!!!
    (you don`t have to knock out the gobo when your focus is defined as focus = f in the Function Text file, thats the advantage when the focus is =f !!)

Now you can Move to your desired positions using the position palette and add a gobo and the beam should stay sharp.

Most of the times that worked for me very fine.

„Can I change the function type in an existing show? meaning, when I change the function of focus from =b to =f will it work that way when I load the show into the console, or will I have to start a new show?“

- You can change it on an existing show, but to be safe make a copy of your show!

Have fun !
    :hogsign:
Related