road hog and 3.1.1 surprises

JC@FOHJC@FOH Registered User
So riddle me this,
I updated to 3.1.1 (2679) on Monday. On Tuesday I began programing 3 different groups of LED fixtures for a short tour, starting today (11-22) While I was working, I noticed a few things:
Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a small error box on the right hand screen of some sort - it closed before I could read it, I barely saw it as I was watching a cue run at the time.
During the cueing session on Monday, I had some "lagging" programming issues, where when updating, naming and recording cues and pallets, especially effect pallets, the soft buttons on the bottom right screen would fade out. After a moment, the pallet would update and the screen would return to normal. Programmed items behaved as expected.
When I noticed both of the above examples, I loaded a backup and started over from 3 mins ago's backup; after I loaded the backup, I checked it for integrity before I resumed programming.
Tues through Fri - no problems still working on the same backup show from Monday.
Sunday, first show - I arrive, patch in the house rig's 24 movers go through my exisiting LED cues and begin programming position pallets etc.
The first thing I noticed was Pig + Release stopped working, release also stopped working, however go to cue zero reset the fader as expected.
I stopped, loaded a backup, checked integrity and went about it.
About 30 mins into my hour of programming time, it did the lag issue - and a few other fun surprises.
Pallets would not relate to each other, groups would sometimes take color, position, effect etc and sometimes not take the same pallet a moment later.
The desk crashed into the purple hog splash screen after I checked integrity of backup (s) I started after 20, 35 and 50 minute mark. Release / pig + release stopped working. At this point, it was doors and not my turn to run the show; I rebooted before my band, started a backup and held on.

During the show, I only used my playbacks no live programming, release worked throughout the show and my cues held for 5 out of 9 playbacks. 4 locked up and one is the GM, of course.

I limped through the set and when I tried to shut down / lamp off, the programmer side was locked up.

I'm just going to start a new show tomorrow and see what happens...anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I should revert. I'm the only user of this desk, it is well maintained, never dropped or abused and until this week has never behaved this way. I use it on average of 3-4 days a week, it's a 2007 model.

Anyone had this happen, or thoughts?
-Jim

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited November 2009
    sounds terrible, I had something like that a week ago. during programming everything slowed down, desk crashed etc. (this was a show loaded from an other LD, i guess with lot's of errors somewhere).

2 hour before doors I saw that hog3pc was version 3.10, but the XPe was 1.0.8 (september 2007??)

I closed the desk, made a fresh start with a new, empty show, and in the time left I made it with programming. Result: no problems.

So it looks that you have a bug somewhere in your basic-show-set-up.
    But I don't know what XPe you're on, and maybe my problem was to old XPe working with a to new Hog3pc

Maybe you should do a clean xp-install and then update to 3.11 ? don't forget to write shows to usb-stick before you start...
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited November 2009
    btw, that showcase was on a rental roadhog with minifaderwing, not on my fullboar.
  • JC@FOHJC@FOH Registered User
    edited November 2009
    AAAH... the xpe. Ill have to check that out; thanks for the reply!
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, HES Staff
    edited November 2009
    Jim

What XPe image is your desk running?
    What windows do you have open while programming?
    Did you have any external devices attached to the Road Hog?

Can you send us your show file so we can take a look at it in the test lab?
    edited November 2009
    Hi Michael,
    I'll have to look at the XPe image at load in today. I don't know that I will have time to send you the file toady, but I will do so asap.
    When I program, I usually have group, color, position open and I toggle between cuelist and effect engine.
    I don't use a playback wing or extra monitors, I was just using the console.
    Thanks for your help!
    -Jim
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2009
    Hi Jim,

Did you ever get a chance to look at your XPe image? Also you should look in the Logs folder on the console and see if there are any DMP files from the day of the crash. If so, please copy this file to flash drive and then zip it and send to me along with the show file using our uploader utility: http://upload.highend.com

We are sorry that you experienced these problems and we will do our best to ensure that they do not happen again.
    edited December 2009
    Hi Brad, Michael and Sfeerpeer,
    I'm sorry I have not posted back sooner, it's been a busy few days.
    It was the out-dated XPe image which was causing my problems; I performed a Full Recovery, updated to 3.1.1 (2672) and everything is working again.
    I appreciate everyone's help and I will never forget that lesson!
    Thanks again,
    Jim
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, HES Staff
    edited December 2009
    Jim

Glad to hear that the Current XPe image solved your problems.
    Let us know if we can do anything else for you.