cyber harness fix?

jeeperjeeper Registered User
edited November 2009 in HES Automated Lighting
I seen many post here that talk about the harness on the cyberlights that links the power supply board to the logic board. My question is it wires that degrade or the end connectors? and dose anyone have a easy fix, as quick and NOT having to take apart half the light? I have two that start out ok and then sometimes (about half the time) they stop working and the bulbs go out, the only way to get them working again is to power them off and on a few times.

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Usually you can see it on the connector end.....most of the ones I've seen have had what looked like burn marks on the connectors.

In a few rare cases where fans failed and the unit had no thermal breaker (Series-1 units were all pre-breaker) the wires melted down/burned through.

To replace it all you really need to do is open up the lamp box and take the back end cap off (as if you were going to remove the sled).

Hope this helps. :)
  • jeeperjeeper Registered User
    edited November 2009
    yeah it helps somewhat, I was hoping the bottom plate didn't have to come off. oh well. also I guess my question is can the harness be fixed or dose it need to be replaced?
    edited November 2009
    That depends on what is wrong with it.

Generally speaking this is a part I would simply replace if it has gone bad. Since you need to pull it all the way out to inspect it anyway it is also probably easier to just swap for a known good one.
    edited November 2009
    I would, but right now I have one spare and two lights. I was thinking of refub'n one of the bad ones and was not sure of what gose bad the wires, end conector/crimps ect.
    edited November 2009
    Generally I've seen the connector and crimps go bad. If you plan to do a refurb make sure you thouroughly test all the wires for proper conduction and that there are no shorts anywhere.

Honestly for the $50 or so each I'd just go get a new one.....you'll spend more than that just in your time to try and refurb an old one which might not even last as long as a new one.
    edited November 2009
    good point, I wish it was like the other harness with the set screws.
    edited November 2009
    You mean the one from the transformer no? Not really seen to many connector failures on transformers.....mostly the whole thing goes (or whatever voltage conversion happens to be least convienient at the time).
    edited November 2009
    no, I wish the conector between the ps/logic was like that, that would be easy to repair/rebuild.