Timecode

Hi,

I was experimenting with some timecode in a single cue list and had a couple of questions. This is on an IPC running 3.1.0(2672) with SMPTE timecode being fed into the console from an external generator.

I programmed a list with 10 cues in it with the following wait column attributes
Cue 1- Set to Halt
Cue 2- Set to Halt
Cue 3- 00/00/10.00
Cue 4- Set to Halt
Cue 5- Set to Halt
Cue 6- 00/00/20.00
Cue 7- Set to Halt
Cue 8- 00/00/30.00
Cue 9- Set to Halt
Cue 10- Set to Halt

-Is there a reason when you are entering in a timecode value into the wait column to press the timecode button that pops up in the little toolbar? It seems like I get the same result if I just enter in 00/00/10.00 directly and not press the timecode button first?

-I had the cuelist originally set up with "Trigger Forwards Only" turned off. I was experimenting with stopping the timecode and then restarting it from 00/00/00.00 and noticed that the cuelist would release and then run Cue 3 once it reached 10 seconds. Is this expected behauviour? It would seem that this would be undesirable and that it would be better for the cuelist to sit where it is until the timecode reaches a cue that has that value. When I turned on "Trigger Forwards Only" it solved this releasing issue, but then of course doesn't rewind the cuelist to a previous point if the timecode is restarted to an earlier time.

-With the Hog 2, I remember people recommending to use comment macros to enable and disable the timecode in the cuelist so that the list was only listening to it when it was about to fire a timecode cue. I remember having issues that if I didn't put in these comment macros the cue list would sometimes jump to the end of the list unexpectedly, sorry I don't remember all of the details, but using these comment macros would solve this problem. This seems to not be the case with the Hog 3, it seems much more stable and responsive to the timecode overall. I'm curious to know whether it is still recommended to use these comment macros for a cuelist like the one above where there are manual cues interspersed with timecode cues?

Thanks
Eric
  • Eric,

>>-Is there a reason when you are entering in a timecode value into the wait column to press the timecode button that pops up in the little toolbar?
    No you do not need to press the timecode button.. as you said just type in "00/00/10.00" or even easier type in "0/0/10/0" No need to enter the dot or double digits!

>>-I had the cuelist originally set up with "Trigger Forwards Only" turned off.
    This seems very odd and I will have to look further into this...

>>-With the Hog 2, I remember people recommending to use comment macros to enable and disable the timecode in the cuelist.
    You are correct in your findings that the bugs from Wholehog 2 regarding timecode have been resolved in Wholehog 3 software. The timecode in the current Wholehog 3 does not require the workaround you mention, however you may want to enable/disable timecode as needed within your show to prevent the audio guy from triggering cues unexpectedly...
Related