DHCP Issue

After upgrading my DL.2's to the latest software, I have been having constant trouble with seeing them on the CMA.

They no longer are visible when a DHCP server gives them their ip address. If I boot them up with no server and they give themselves a self-assigned ip (i.e. no DHCP server in the pipeline) I can see them but only if I boot up a pc identically with a self assigned ip.

This is a real problem for me as I need to continually update content from another location, plus during a show I need to have the pc connected to the network. I have figured some really crappy workarounds, but do need a fix for this.
  • Hi,
    sorry for the obvious question but have you upgraded your version of the CMA also?
    Mixed versions of software and CMA won't help.

Best C
  • Yes all of the software is the latest. CMA is the latest. Problem occurs whether it is running on the mac or pc. I read a thread describing the problem just can't find it again.

Before the fixture upgrade this problem did not occur
  • It might be how you are powering up your system.
    Make sure that your console is fully up with your show loaded and that your DHCP device in on as well as all network points (switches, etc) are fully up before you power on the DL units.
    Are all your devices Gigabit speed as well? (DHCP device, switches, etc?)
  • Yes. Everything is powered up prior to turning on the DL's. Switch is gigabit and I have never had a problem with it. In fact I have used 4 different switches as a test.

Since the DL's are being sent DMX through 5pin instead of Artnet, the ethernet connection is only being used for the the content delivery.

Cables are good (Ethernet, DMX, Video). This is a problem in the software. Just would like to know how to fix.
  • Peter,

You said that if you run a DHCP server in your network, you can't see the fixtures, but if you just use auto-IP they show up. Do they show up in the network, without fail, every time they are booted in auto-ip?

If so, you may be running into an issue created by a BETA build of software that we leaked out at one time. Basically with this build (it was 1.5.0 b1704) there were some issues that got created with the DNS information in the computer getting mangled. It will cause units to not show up under DHCP (ever) but will show up under auto-ip (everytime).

To fix it, power down the fixtures, power up your network and connect a router to it to assign DHCP addresses, and connect an active internet connection (WAN) to the router. Then power up the fixtures and see if they appear on the CMA network.

If they do appear on the CMA network, then this is the problem you are running into, and once you have successfully booted them once while they are connected to the internet, the problem will be permanently cured as long as they are never loaded with b1704 again.

I know this sounds like a strange solution, but it is the fix if you are running into that particular issue. There is a service bulliten we posted concerning the issue here:

www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/AxonCMAConnectivity.asp

The bulliten is written for the Axon, but the DLs essentially have the same software and can run into the same issue. Please give this a try, and if it doesn't work, let me know and we can troubleshoot further.

Thanks,
  • [quote=stagelites;42569]Since the DL's are being sent DMX through 5pin instead of Artnet, the ethernet connection is only being used for the the content delivery.

Why on earth would you need DHCP in your DL network then? The only time I've ever needed it is with consoles that have "crippled" ArtNet functionality (like all the grandMA desks) to get the ArtNet into a usable IP range for the desk?!?!?

Just curious......