Training, manuals, books etc.

OK so I know that this has been asked before, I searched diligently and read the links etc. provided.

I am about to get thrown in the deep end weighted down with chain and a couple of counterweight bricks on a roadshow with a Hog 2. Big deal, right? Well, yeah, cos I have next to NO experience on this console.

I am very comfortable on ETC consoles (hush, no catcalls) and on some AVO products (Pearl, Azure, Shadow). However, I am finding that this is if anything a problem - I am so stuck with the naming conventions and syntax I am used to I am having trouble transitioning to the Hog conventions.

I would really appreciate suggestions for quick-start guides, books, even DVDs if they aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg. Formal training classes will have to wait for later when I have a little more time - show's in about 3 weeks.

I do have a console and a show disk to play with - oh, didn't I mention? I am just the ME and mover tech, but right now I am not even sure I can bring lights up for focus. Also, there are movers, but I don't know yet if I will be responsible for setting positions and doing focus updates (sorry ... palettes?) Naturally, the guy who wrote the show is not currently available to talk to and might not be at all.....

ANY help would be wonderful, many thanks in advance to all you gurus!

Andy

P.S. High Cat! You follow me on Twitter!! Can't imagine why! (#stagetech)
  • Hi Andy-
    I got your tweet. For clarification, I don't work for Barco - but I'll try and help anyhow. I'm sure you'll get more advice from more active members of this forum.

There isn't a LOT out there on the internet regarding Hog 2 tutorials. There is a good quick start guide from Susan Rose that you could start with. There are more free guides at the Hog 2 Knowledge Base page (tutorials, tips and tricks). Obviously, it's a good idea to have a printed copy of the manual: though I don't suggest reading it cover to cover unless you're feeling self destructive. www.flyingpig.com/support/hog2/manuals/

Since you have the console, I'd recommend playing on it as much as possible. Just keep MULTIPLE copies of the programmer's original show on separate disks. That way, if you change something while playing, it's no big deal. You can always load the original show when you're done. And give that old desk a clean start - I've found that very few people do this often enough (if at all). FYI- Clean Start will wipe show memory so you will have to re-load from disk after doing it. Clean start takes all of 2-3 seconds. Might also be called "cold start" in the manual- don't remember. Same same.
  • Hey Cat,

Nice to hear from you - yeah I guess I assumed a little there....! Sorry - but clearly you know more than me! You know I still find it funny calling them Barco... s'gonna be HES to me forever, I think.

I looked at Susan's guide already - can't wait to play on it tomorrow, and I'll look at the other link too.

Wish me luck, and thanks again,

Andy
  • check out this cool site !!

www.lightingtrainer.com/consoles2.html

there are several trainig videos for lots of consoles

:)
Related