Segemented Collage Media

This is more of a future need question.

But what is the Pixel overlap when in Segemented collage mode?
It's great that i can upload just portions of the file, and i believe will have the opportunity to use this on a show in the near future. But when i'm creating/ or altering content i would need to know the total amount of pixels i'm going to create for, and i know it's not as easy as 1024x# of fixtures :D

Also when in this mode are you able to play back non-segmented media? or is that a programming change you'd need to make when playing back one cohesive file?
  • The pixel over lap is about 9% per blended edge, so approximately 92 pixels horizontally or 69 pixels vertically. If you're doing a 3x1 collage (3 wide, 1 tall), the outter two fixtures would each be "losing" 9% of their pixels, and the center would be "losing" 18% to the collage blending.

As far as segmented and non-segmented, there are options for doing both types of collage in the graphics engine. On the programming side of things they are identical to set up, you only need to select the correct collage type. However, segemented vs non-segmented collages use very different content. The content for a segmented collage must be sliced/scaled prior to being loaded on to the server as the segmented collage mode does not do this. The advantage to this is that you can created much higher resolution collages.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
  • that pretty much answered it :)

I figured the enhanced collage, and segmented wouldn't be able to share the same content.
    Should the edge blend adjustment be the same for both modes?

I'm only doing a 3x1 currently with a standard collage, but the company really likes how this looks (on a 100' wide white cyc, but i'm only covering the center third) and we were talking about options for uses on other shows. and if we went that path using 9 DL3's to cover it i would want to step up the image quality.
  • Yep, the blend area is the same for both.

If you contact our support department, specifically Scott Kinnebrew, he can help with recommendations on sizes, etc for chopping up the content for the 9x1 segmented collage.