CMA Issues

CMA is stable *finally, and one fixture is working fine. The new issue is the other DL2 lets me think I can load a file into a folder but nothing shows up. Heres what happens: shows a progress bar, but then nothing is in a folder. I can add a folder, but does not upload anything to it. Have tried diffrent content, different folders, adding content to other DL2 *works, and deleting and adding, no luck adding.

I have the most current Firmware and CMA.

Any help?

Edward

Edward Hodge
Entertainment Technology Consulting - Lighting Design -
Technical Director - Video Design
TEA - Themed Entertainment Association BOARD MEMBER
2009 Emmy Nomination *(Special Television Event) with CBS
  • Are you running CMA off a PC or a Mac?

Do you have the latest XPe running under the fixture software?

What else is in your network?
    If you are using switches are they all gigabit?
  • Hey Marty,

CMA runs off of Mac's because its a little more stable I have found.

Currently I have disconnected everything else and used a laptop to connect directly.

I have updated everything on the HES website. How do I update XPe?

E
  • Here's a link to the video on how to update the XPE a DL2. How to Update DL2

Also be sure all your content is encoded correctly HES Custom Content Guide
    :hogsign:
  • Marty can probably explain this better but
    to get you started.
    You need.
    1.A copy of the latest DL2 software downloaded
    and burnt as an ISO disc using the
    correct software.This is available from here
    www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/DL2andAxonSoftwareUpgrades.asp
    2.An external USB keyboard
    3.An external CD drive with mains supply.

To start doing this with the fixture on the
    ground or somewhere with good access is a must.
    You may want the manual to hand
    www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/dl2.asp

Use the iso disc you have burnt to reinstall
    or install the latest xpe image on the fixture.

I'll let marty explain the rest better than I can,
    one tip on the older DL2 fixtures you can
    only get the iso to boot by pressing tab
    on the keyboard directly after the spinning

high end splash screen comes up on the fixture
    screen so be ready !

best of luck
    miss that
  • Before I delve into this, does anyone know on a DL2 what version XPe should read when I log into CMA?

Edward
  • The newest is 2.2.0, but generally speaking it only needs to be upgraded if you change hardware in the computer.

Be sure to have external backups of all custom content just in case.

Honestly I'm going to say your problem sounds more Mac related to me.

The PC version of CMA offers more features that are not available in the Mac version. Always better to run the PC version of CMA, even if from Bootcamp/Parallels or such on Mac. Especially when managing large numbers of content files.

So are you connected to your DL fixture via crossover cable or through a switch?

Is the network port on your CMA computer gigabit or slower (many laptops are only "Fast" or "100" speed)?
  • I have to agree with Marty on this one.

I'm a Mac guy and, especially with recent builds, have issues with the Mac CMA. I can't always access my Axon with it or have issues EXACTLY like you describe. I can add folders, but my content doesn't show up (even though it says its been uploaded).

It could be because the Mac version is still 1.4 while the PC version is 1.5....don't know. I just keep the current version of each. If it doesn't work with Mac CMA, then I open Parallels and go in that way...same machine, same network, and it works. Sounds to me like it's the Mac CMA, not a Mac thing.

J
  • [quote=jxgriffi;41124]It could be because the Mac version is still 1.4 while the PC version is 1.5....don't know.

Even when running the older fixtures with same version Mac CMA there are things that just work better on PC version.

Cloning is a great example. If you run the Mac version it looks for every file every time you clone, but with PC it is smart enough to only clone changes.....if you have a lot of custom content this can be the differernce between seconds and hours.

My understanding of this is the differences between how OSx and Windows manage files.....so yes the CMA has problems in Mac, but its' not really due to the CMA software so much as the OSx behind it.

Bottom line is that I've always found it to be cleaner to use "same" type when getting these things to talk.

For DL/AXON units PC is best, but for things like Catalyst a Mac is better for managing server networks.