coolest laptop setups for remote focus

joeshepardjoeshepard Registered User
edited September 2009 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
I'm successfully using my mac laptop with Parallels to control my iPC for remote focus and was wondering what setup others are using to get the smoothest control of the parameter wheels in Hog PC window? Are you using a track pad, mouse or trackball? Also any cool tricks anyone has come up with to make it all smooth and easy.

Thanks!

Joe

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    I cheat...

I attach a programming wing to my Mac. :18::18::18::18::18:

SOOOOO much faster.
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    I agree with Jon- Not having keyboard shortcuts for the encoders on my tablet drives me nuts. It's easier to setup a little table on stage with the wing and just focus away.
  • joeshepardjoeshepard Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Having a spare programming wing would indeed make things way easier but probably not in the cards in the near future.

Is anyone out there using a laptop for remote focus without a programming wing?

Joe
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited September 2009
    joeshepard;40783 said:

Is anyone out there using a laptop for remote focus without a programming wing?
    Sometimes. It is a pain though with no shortcuts for the encoders. I can usually hire a wing for between £30-£50 - so given half the chance, I will take it.

I have a Vista 32 bit laptop with H3PC on that regulary connects to other 3PC setups and recently a Full Boar and an iPC. I think tablets are alot easier though - shame I dont have the finance for one :mad:

Best,
    edited September 2009
    Joe,
    I take it you'd still want a wing with the tablet as the encoders are still have the same control problem?

Joe
    edited September 2009
    joeshepard;40795 said:
    Joe,
    I take it you'd still want a wing with the tablet as the encoders are still have the same control problem?

Joe
    I would find a tablet and a wing far better than a laptop and wing.

Best,
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2009
    When it comes to TabletPCs, I highly reccomend the Lenovo X60, or I think its the X61 now. These are convertable tablets. So you can use them in "Tablet Only" or with the keyboard. I like both, depending on what I'm doing. The great thing about the Lenovo is, not only does it come with a Stylus pen like most tablets, but it also has finger touch ability. This makes it function more like the touch screen on the console. I have friends that use this same Tablet and they use the Lonestar Encoders plugin to help with controlling the encoders with the Stylus. I use mine mostly with the keyboard, which gives me all the functionality of the touchscreen plus the keyboard hot keys. I did a job in Bora Bora, and instead of lugging my full size Hog 3 there, I decided to just use two Tablets...one as the server and one as a wireless client. I now call that my "Bora Bora" package. Two Tablets, one Wireless N router, and a DP2000. It worked great!
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I just purchased an HP touchsmart Tx2z tablet. (I think its model number is tx2-1270us). Great screen size, LED backlight is bright and viewable outdoors, Wifi a/b/g/n, stylus, finger (multitouch, although hpc can't take advantage), great battery life, and very light. It has a good processor and it also has a dedicated graphics card which means it will also run ma onpc 2. Also I paid under 900 after tax and shipping for it. So if it gets messed up or stolen, its not a huge loss unlike a lot of the motion tablets that are twice as much. It comes with vista but I have put windows 7 on it. Hog3pc runs in virtual pc mode well too. Overall I am realy happy with it. I have looked at all the tablets and I felt this was the best one for what I need it to be.

Ryan
    edited September 2009
    Joe Bleasdale;40803 said:
    I would find a tablet and a wing far better than a laptop and wing.

Best,
    Thats what I usually do. That way I can still select pallettes and have more control. I also will use my wing as my 2nd set so I have 20 playbacks. I just put stuff on the screen I don't need to use as much.

Ryan
    edited September 2009
    Hey Scott,
    You mentioned a plug-in made by Lonestar for helping to control the encoders. Where is that available?

thanks!
    Joe
    edited September 2009
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?p=19782

Make sure you have the .net v2 framework on your computer. Its a must for tablet pc users using a touch screen interface with the wheels!

With hog3pc open or closed, just launch the program, and it will change the graphics on the front panel.
    Ryan
    edited September 2009
    ryanwilkinson;40831 said:
    Thats what I usually do. That way I can still select pallettes and have more control. I also will use my wing as my 2nd set so I have 20 playbacks. I just put stuff on the screen I don't need to use as much.

Ryan
    Exactly... Its like having the primary touchscreen and programmer section - which is mostly what you need.

Best,
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2009
    ryanwilkinson;40830 said:
    I just purchased an HP touchsmart Tx2z tablet. (I think its model number is tx2-1270us). Great screen size, LED backlight is bright and viewable outdoors, Wifi a/b/g/n, stylus, finger (multitouch, although hpc can't take advantage), great battery life, and very light. It has a good processor and it also has a dedicated graphics card which means it will also run ma onpc 2. Also I paid under 900 after tax and shipping for it. So if it gets messed up or stolen, its not a huge loss unlike a lot of the motion tablets that are twice as much. It comes with vista but I have put windows 7 on it. Hog3pc runs in virtual pc mode well too. Overall I am realy happy with it. I have looked at all the tablets and I felt this was the best one for what I need it to be.

Ryan
    Ryan,
    Has the multi-touch function made any difference when using HogPC? Can you do key combinations like Pig + Release on the touchscreens?
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately not right now. Using the XPM doesn't allow any multitouch to be passed through to it. As far as any other programs, I think its only the OS stuff that currently supports multitouch. I tried MA Onpc2 and it can't handle multitouch either. Thats running on actual windows 7.

I am sure in the future we will get windows 7 support and maybe multitouch support if we are lucky :p
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited September 2009
    barnes2000;40843 said:
    Has the multi-touch function made any difference when using HogPC?

a subset of the Windows Touch Gestures are passed to 3PC as legacy-application-compatible messages: Panning with Inertia and Flicks provide scrolling in Palette Directories, Programmer, Patch, etc., Press and Tap will right-click, and Zoom does get passed but 3PC has never done anything with that.