External Drive Size Limit?

jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
edited August 2009 in Axon
Is there a limit to the size of an external drive that the Axon will recognize?

I have a 500GB that is sees with no problem at all (on USB). It won't see my 1TB at all...just sits there and never mounts. I've also tried it with the Firewire 400 and NEITHER drive mounts on the firewire.

Just curious....

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Hi Jon,

Is the 1TB drive a USB drive? Who makes it?

I've honestly never tried a drive that big.

Thanks,
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    Matt....

They are both the same manufacturer. G-Tech http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

They are both USB2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. The 500GB works fine on the AXON USB. The 1TB does not work on the Axon USB. Neither the 1TB or the 500 work on Firewire 400 (edit: Firewire 400 ON THE AXON).

Both drives mount fine to my XP Desktop machine in the office as well as my Mac (but I figured that was obvious).
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I have (x2) Seagate FreeAgent Pro drives @ 1TB each that I've hooked up to my AXON with no issues, so size probably isn't the issue here.

I hook them up via USB 2.0 to AXON, but I normally use eSATA to my laptop.

Jon, by any chance do these drives require a power adapter or are they buss powered drives?

BTW - I don't belive that Firewire is enabled on the AXON.....the motherboards that HES use just come that way.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    Interesting Marty....

These definitely have external power supplies. I'll play around a little more and see if maybe something was loose.

I figured as much with the FW, but I thought I'd ask. If it is indeed disabled, it might be a good idea to drop that in the manual somewhere.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I figured....most larger drives require external power.

As a workaround, you could hook the drive up to your laptop and then transfer via CMA to the AXON.....not quite as nice, but should work OK.