Tablet Backup Anyone

Are any of you running Hog 3 PC on a tablet and backing up your console with it?

If so what is your configuration? Are you connecting through a wireless router? Do you experience network slowdown throught the wireless setup. Are you able to run the rig with the tablet and how does it work for you?

thanks for your time.
  • I run H3PC frequently as a client on a tablet.....I rarely do a show without it these days.

I do connect via a wireless router, but I do not allow the router to assign IPs via DHCP....I let the console do that.....this way if the router goes down or is disconnected, it will only affect wireless clients and not the main show/desk.

There have been improvements to the behavior of clients over the last few builds, and I expect to see even more to come.....overall it handles as I would expect it to....a tiny bit slower, but not really noticable for things like focus and checking cues, palettes, etc.

I really don't do network backup at all with my tablet....I pretty much stick to external media (Zip, CD-R, USB, etc...) still for backups.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Actually, let me be clearer. I don't mean do you back up your show on the desk to media on the client. I mean do you run your tablet as a back up to the console in a show situation. If the main console goes down the tablet, running Hog 3pc, can take over.
  • [quote=meatpopsicle;40565]Actually, let me be clearer. I don't mean do you back up your show on the desk to media on the client. I mean do you run your tablet as a back up to the console in a show situation. If the main console goes down the tablet, running Hog 3pc, can take over.

In theory you could do that... but I wouldnt. Wireless (which is what the tablet usually is) should not be handling show critical data. Thats asking for trouble.

If you really wanted to... The tablet would have to be running the same show, but also as a server and connected to the desk via midi to do tracking backup. You would also need another set of DPs and a DNX switcher. It is not like the MA network tracking backup. We dont have that yet.

Best,
  • E.I.

It is not possible to have a secondary server console take over via network if the primary goes down. On H3 systems if the primary/server console goes down, it will take the whole network with it.

So for a truely backed up console you need 2 complete systems with DMX A/B switching, and if you want it to be a tracking backup you will also need a MIDI cable to link the two.

I agree with Joe in that using any wireless system for show-critical applications is a very bad idea in general.

Hope this helps. :)
  • On this tablet topic...

I'm looking at buying the new HP Tx2? Tablets, 12" screen, $999. But it comes installed with Vista 64 bit.. I asked if I could buy a vista or XP disc and downgrade to 32 bit but they said the laptop itself has 64 bit hardware and can't run a 32 bit OS without losing many features such as the touchscreen. Is this possible? Or do they not know what they are talking about.

Thanks
  • I would listen...

My laptop is 32 bit Vista... Now I wanted to downgrade to XP and I almost killed it. I took Vista off and tried XP... no go... tried to out Vista back on and it wouldnt work either. It caused more trouble than it is worth!! It took me weeks to get backup discs because Toshiba didnt publisise some of the drivers... Nightmare.

Marty has a good tablet... (Hope you dont mind me quoting Marty)

Get yourself a Motion Computing F5 tablet.....very rugged and fast with SSD....just got one a little while back and it is the best tablet I've used to date for H3 RFU.
    Best,
  • So you wouldn't reccomend the downgrade to XP 64bit? lol..

I saw Martys reccomendation.. looks awesome, but out of my price range. The tablet I'm looking at is $999, not $2500
  • It doesnt matter what you are downgrading to... My point is that it may cause more trouble than it is worth. And you may delete Vista... then hey-ho, XP wont load. The your a little screwed.

Find a tablet that comes with XP or a shop that will sell you that tablet with XP pre installed.

Just trying to save you some bother... Best Regards,
  • [quote=RYANC;40608]So you wouldn't reccomend the downgrade to XP 64bit? lol..

I saw Martys reccomendation.. looks awesome, but out of my price range. The tablet I'm looking at is $999, not $2500

They are a bit expensive....but pretty sweet if you can swing it.

I would hold out for Windows-7 rather than Vista-64.
  • Marty-

Out of curiosity, why'd you get the F5 instead of the J3400 model? Just looking at the specs they seem very similar, but the F5 has no on-board USB without the dock? Just curious, thanks!
  • I just purchased an HP TX2Z which seems to be a really cool laptop.. Bummer is that it doesn't have drivers for XP. So I am going to try it with vista for a bit and hope windows 7 works well when its out (in xp compatibility mode). But maybe in the future all apps will like windows 7.. You never know.. But I paid just under 900 shipped getting the base model on their site which is pretty fully stocked. I will update as time goes on with it. I just like that I can use my finger and a stylus. And its small, portable, LED backlit so bright and cheap. The screen resolution is 1280x800 which is way more manageable for H3 over my current tablets 1024x768.
  • [quote=prmucha;40633]Marty-

Out of curiosity, why'd you get the F5 instead of the J3400 model? Just looking at the specs they seem very similar, but the F5 has no on-board USB without the dock? Just curious, thanks!

Two reasons....

1 -when I bought mine, the J3400 didn't exist yet (just the older LE 1700s which were not "ruggedized"...had a flip up antenna for the WiFi that could get snapped off....etc.).

2- USB ports and the like are potential points of entry for dirt and water.....I do a large number of shows outdoors so this is important to me. The F5 is much more rugged than the J3400 series overall.

Additionally, you would be surprized at how much better the usability is with the handle on the F5.
Related