Auto-Label Palettes

Hi, not sure if this has been requested before or not, but it would be great to have an option to automatically insert a I,P,C,F (for Intensity, Position, Etc.) before a newly created palette along with the number of the palette before a custom name that the user would enter. Additionally if you were to move a palette from say position 1 to 2, this number would auto-update.

I frequently do this manually to be able to quickly reference what palette a particular fixture is in from the programmer/output, etc.

Having the ability for the console to do this automatically would be a huge timesaver.

Thanks
Eric
  • Pressing [Set] straight after the palette is created and tapping in a name on the internal keyboard is pretty fast... a matter of a few seconds...

Does that not surfice?
  • It's an issue of when you're doing this hundreds of times over and over again.....

Eric
  • Eric,

Your request is already somewhat implemented...

If you go to Setup->Preferences and then the "Default Naming" tab you will see where you can change the default name of many items. Here you can add a "P" before the "&D &N" or change the "&D" to a "P" or whatever you wish. This will then add your custom annotation to the default labeling. As you move the palette around the number does update when you use the "&N" label type.

However if I read correctly then you also want to be able to add your own custom label per instance, yet keep the &N designation so that when you move it will auto-update the number. While this is not automatically done, you can still use the "&N" designator when custom labeling. For example if you enter "P &N Center Stage" it will be labeled "P 5 Center Stage". Then when you move this palette, the number will auto-update.

I hope this helps..
  • Hi Brad,

Thanks for this info, Default Naming isn't an area I was very familiar with and your explanation helped out a lot. I'd be interested in the ability to take this one step further, to have the ability to keep the &N dynamic labeling but not have to type it.

In other words, to have the settings that are set up in "Default Naming" applied along with my custom name and not overridden by it. Typing in "P &N" before my label does exactly what I'm looking for, but it would be great to have a setting where this was inserted automatically and remained dynamic.

Definitely not a very high priority in my mind, but it would save some time in recording palettes.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • Hi Brad,

Is it possible to have what all the code word definitions appear right on the Default Naming page?

I tried to look it up in the manual what the codes mean and in the index, there is no entry for "Default Naming," "User Preferences->Default Naming," "Naming"

I pulled up the PDF and searched the manual and found it eventually.
    (side note: how do I search the manual from the console?)

Also, is there an code that I can put in to have a group display the channel number if there is only one channel Recorded?

Like "%c" for group
    with Channel 375 recorded
    would produce label "375"

For groups that are recorded with more than one channel would just default to another group name.

So I could see this implemented as

Group: enter codes
    Group Single Channel: enter codes

Thanks
    -Ben
    (maybe this belongs in the requests thread)
Related