Whole Hog 3PC For MAC !!

SHOWGUNSHOWGUN Registered User
How many of you guys think having Hog PC for Mac is a good idea? Leave your comments and Ideas !

Comments

• CRBatchelorCRBatchelor Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I WOULD LOVE A MAC VERSION!!!!!
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Hog 3 is linux.. Can't be that difficult to port over even if it won't support the widgets yet and only some wings!
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Mac should have been the first version!

All other creative proffessions use Mac as a platform, so why can't we?
    And since the iPhone is so populair, there should be a app for that as well, so you can usethe iPhone as a remote for example to focus.

I understand that it takes time/money to develop the apps, but HES: please step in to the 2009's...
  • SHOWGUNSHOWGUN Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I agree to all of the comments, Keep them coming guys !
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Not a big Mac fan first off.....and secondly I don't want valuable development resources used up creating and testing Mac versions of stuff when you can already run it on Mac with Bootcamp, etc.
    edited August 2009
    But why not not make it native for mac?
    edited August 2009
    Doesn't make much sense when the consoles are Linux and Windows based, plus you cover a larger number of users with Windows versions, especially when you can run the Windows versions on Mac.
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for your opinion Marty. :)
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I voted Mac because I think it will make some peoples life easier... However I do agree with Marty that it is not essential, I believe that a more stable and feature packed console is the essential part and why make a full Mac version when (like Marty says) you can already achieve the desired results effectivly by using bootcamp.

Not to mention the fact that a cheap windows computer for say £300 can run H3PC with no issues. So why not spend that little extra if you really want to use it on a native platform... in the long run it will pay itself back time after time. I run H3PC on Windows Vista and I have little problems, (dont get me wrong, XP is better!) I just think that developing a Mac version would not only take too much time and money, but it would be a serious waste were we should put all development into the current platforms to make them better in any possible way.

Just my opinion :)
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Joe !
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    I voted yes because...well...I'm a Mac guy.

However, that being said. Any Intel Mac CAN run Hog3PC (I do it all the time). I wouldn't want any development resources spent on it until other things are finished FIRST (USB/Kernal upgrade, etc.) .... now, I'm ALL for the development of the iPhone App. :poke:
  • but0017but0017 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    i think if it is taken to mac platform it is too hard to balance updates with all the different OS taking in account the consoles are running linux embedded so HES would be juggling all three platform Linux, Windows and Mac all at the same time it would take alot of resource to make it happen
    edited August 2009
    1th, don't get me wrong, I also think that it's not worth to spend the "valuable development resources".
    But HES could get extra people for Mac-development, and then I would be happy to pay to get a Mac-based-program!!

2th, if I have to run under Bootcamp, I would have bought a Windows...

But is it possible to it run under Parallels, so that we still can work simultaniously in our Mac-enviroment ???
  • nibornibor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2009
    Mac, vote Marty whatever.
    edited August 2009
    I use it in Parallels all the time. That's how I do my remote focus. Hook up the router, choose the network, open Parallels and go for it. Works like a charm. I've never even setup bootcamp because I don't need the horsepower as I only have 2 XP programs left (Wyg and Hog3PC). Everything else, I keep running in my Mac environment and just switch over as needed.
  • brownlightbrownlight Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Please Do it that would be sweet !!
  • glen010glen010 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    NO, sorry but i think there are better things to be working on than a MAC Version..

just my 2 pence..
    edited August 2009
    Why are all the window-guys so against Mac-development? If HES would get extra people working on only mac, it wouldn't affect the windows-development
    :poke:
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited August 2009
    it´s a bit more complex than that.. Just hiring in new guys to do osx development does not mean that they can work by themselves.. it will actually take quite a lot of effort for the other developers to help the new guys understand and get an overview of what the code does..
    I don´t know the status of the code, in terms of documentation etc.. but in general porting something over to osx is much more time consuming than you should think.

-For me a osx version is nothing else than a waste of developing time in my perspective(and i´m typing on a mac..) -hey, bootcamp/parralells works perfect!
  • glen010glen010 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    SfeerPeer

sorry Mac guy here also... ! just not needed...
    edited August 2009
    It's not all the Windows guys against it...

I'm a Mac guy...and, like I mentioned above, I would LOVE to see a Mac version. However, there are so many other things out there that need attention before devoting development time to a Mac version. In this economy, it's not all that easy to get approval for a couple of new positions to do Mac development when there are already other options in place for Mac users.

It's kind of the same as the Mac CMA development. It's pretty much stopped right now. Yes, there is a Mac CMA. Yes, it works. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Windows CMA. There is only so much development money to go around and you have to put your eggs in the right basket.

iPhone app...that's another story (at least for me).

J
  • but0017but0017 Registered User
    edited August 2009
    i agree with jxgriffi, i would like to at least see a remote focus app for iphones, could be a very powerful and useful tool
  • jaybuckjaybuck Registered User
    edited August 2009
    i said yes but i think if any thing they should make a app for ipod touch/iphone. as a wireless RFU or something
  • meatpopsiclemeatpopsicle Registered User
    edited August 2009
    With the developement of a Mac Tablet interoperability is a must.
  • dnormandnorman Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I Love my Mac I use it for everything, even running Windows on it just love the mac, if you made a OSX Version I would die to get my hands on it.
  • mjmaltbiemjmaltbie Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I would also love to see an iPhone app before a MAC version of Hog III.
  • Steve HarperSteve Harper Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I just wanted to add another voice to the chorus and completely agree with most every comment so far in this thread. Mac and iPhone and Wholehog be one! Please. Yes ASAP. and Go. Now please. Yes. Please. Thank you. Yes. Did I say yes yet?

The wholehog absolutely needs some sort of solid wireless remote focus device, official or otherwise. I realize there are workaround ways to pull it off if you are wiling to buy specific PDA computers with windows, download the application, setup a wireless network, etc. Cumbersome, no? Maybe I'm wrong? I think we need broader options ... something solid, simple, reliable. My vote would definitely be an iPhone application if the PDA is going to be the hardware device ... this would rule as far as I'm concerned! It's the most widely used PDA on the earth, I think you could use an iPod Touch with the same app (think so) which is about $200 right? And and iPhone application development program has a very low barrier to entry. I'd pay a fair bit for an app that worked if someone could make it happen.

iPhone aside ... In general, it occurs to me that, as lighting and video continue to mush together, there's an increasing demand to get video assets and control interfaces to cooperate with each other. Apple OS will surely need to be a part of the picture in my mind, since much video editing and compression is Apple-centric. Hog 3PC for MAC would be a huge step in the right direction ... I have no idea what's actually involved in making that reality. I'm sure it's more involved than we users might imagine ... but I hope a lot of energy gets put into doing something big before these technologies completely converge and we Hog lovers find ourselves looking for alternatives.

Now that Barco and HES are together ... and all recent HES fixtures entries have been of a video or pixel mapping nature, it seems logical to me that their control platform be evolving alongside the other products. Is the logical next evolution of Wholehog not a significant step toward real video control? I'm looking at MA Video, or just how I can see and manipulate clips on the tiles of an MA .... I'm saying "why not us too?"

Got off on a tangent there ... sorry. If anyone at HES knows anything about any of this, I'm sure we'd all love to hear what's in the works.

Just my 2 cents .... Maybe that was 3 cents.
    edited September 2009
    That was more like a dime ! Thanks for your input Steve!!
    edited September 2009
    More and more Mac converts are come on line I am one myself, It would be a good move
    to have Hog3 for Mac's and Iphones, not every one can swollow the cost of a tablet PC.
  • OliLightsOliLights Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I also think that a version of Hog 3 MAC should be something that High End and Barco need to be thinking about. With so many Iphones and Macs in our industry and with the amalgamation of video (which is largely mac) into the lighting control realm now.

I also use ESP vision and VW as part of my design workflow. I find my self constantly trying to port info through parallels into my hog 3PC workflow. Imagine the possibilities if you could design / visualise / control all in the same workflow. Designing with Vectorworks is more and more widely seen and nearly all i know use Macs. Now that ESP have a MAC version, we have more reason to need a version of 'Hog 3 MAC'

I do however realise the R & D involved in making this happen and would not want it to take away from other developments. I do however think it would be a good think to encourage developments in the Video and Lighting control interface that will be our furture..., and also restore some faith in the hog 3 platform in general.

Lets wait and see.
  • YoPeteYoPete Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I have been a Mac guy for years, and have always wanted Hog software for it. GREAT IDEA!!
  • MoonchildMoonchild Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Actually, WholeHog3 is built using QT, which is a cross-platform development toolkit. I use QT4 and I've written software on my main platform (Linux) and was able to compile the same program with only minor changes on both Windows and OSX / Mac.

I would love to see a Linux version too! Would save me needing to run VirtualBox with Windows.
  • dslodkidslodki Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Aside from the visualiser issues, from a programming standpoint, I question why there is a need for Hog PC for a Mac. An expensive truth is that most current Macs can run Windows, switching back and forth is easy, and then the mac can be used as a console or a remote. Furthermore, you can buy a laptop which will run HogPC for less than that cost of the Windows software. For example, last summer we ran 9 universes of movers and conventionals, 2 Hog3 consoles and a tablet for focusing off an 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron laptop with 736MB (not GB) of RAM as a server. During programming, we did everything we could to make the rig go down and it did not crash. That laptop is almost 6 years old.

I think there are other pressing issues, like the implementation of macros, etc. I mean, how many years did we wait for a "mark" feature?

I've been a Mac user since 1986, I know what I prefer. But emotions aside, what really are the compelling arguments for a Mac version? Sure it'd be nice to have it in a nice familiar interface, but aside from that, what would be gained by all the effort and (probably fairly rocky) road to implementation?

PS:iPhone/iPod Touch remote, works just fine with the HogPC, thanks to Jon Griffin and Scott Barnes....hope they don't mind me calling them out...
    http://www.housetohalf.net/iphone/iPhone/iPhone.html
    edited October 2009
    dslodki wrote: »
    PS:iPhone/iPod Touch remote, works just fine with the HogPC, thanks to Jon Griffin and Scott Barnes....hope they don't mind me calling them out...
    http://www.housetohalf.net/iphone/iPhone/iPhone.html

Awe thanks! Don't mind at all. That's why we made it. Get it in the hands. BTW: there's a few new screens coming this week thanks to Scott.

As far as Mac Hog3PC...I've made my voice known above. Would I like it, YES. Do we need it? Not right now. If everything else was 99% finished and it was a "how can we spend our time right now?" then absolutely. Right now just isn't the time.

Development on the console is at a HUGE pace right now. Things are getting fixed, added, finalized and I love seeing the progress. I wouldn't even think of slowing that down for something along the lines of Mac Hog3PC. I would like to see MacCMA come further along but until the console has more features done, I'd say wait.
  • ChrislimChrislim Registered User
    edited October 2009
    HOG 3 Running on MAC OS

Great Wait for it to happen
    100% support for HOG 3 MAC Version
  • robbie_brucerobbie_bruce Registered User
    edited October 2009
    As it relates to developing a MAC solution..

As a group we would like to do it however there are some serious hurdles to overcome..

1. Debian Linux != MACOS - There a tons of differences from a linux perspective where we today we can't just compile on Mac and we get it for free

2. User interface - It took us over a year from Hog3 (linux) to release Hog3 PC due to the many changes in how different the UI behaves.

3. Testing / Development load - Each new platform causes each release cycle to take longer and longer as platform specific issues come up and we must test on each new platform

4. Resources - We currently do not have many MAC developers in house.. (I am the only one who knows it). This would also mean our support guys would also have to become MAC savy.

5. We give away Hog3 PC away for free - We have looked at this as an investment where it would cost quite a bit to develop a MAC solution and the return didn't seem large enough offset the costs/issues above.

Given all that, we do anticipate in the not too distant future to have a MAC based connectivity driver. As we go along, we are choosing technologies that close the technology gap that hopefully will lower the technology hurdle and make it more viable.

I hope this gives you guys an insight as to where we stand on this topic..

-Robbie Bruce
    edited October 2009
    robbie,

i think we all understand your point, but how about a simple "official" hes-iphone-app?
  • robbie_brucerobbie_bruce Registered User
    edited October 2009
    That project is already under way.. We have larger plans for it but we are building te framework for it now

we need a smaller client footprint.. We want feedback, control, specific editors, etc

we have started this endeavor.. We see the need but do not want to build a iPhone specific client. We want to build a framework where any small client be it a visualier or a remote unit works pretty much the same way

currently to make a iPhone app useful we need to be able to see, edit, manipulate, and control every paletter/cue/list/master.

You can try to limit it to just remote focus but by the time u made that useful enough you have what I just described

we have spent the last few years rewriting every part of hog 3.. Now we have only playback part.. In order to build complete and seemless features we need the building blocks to be sound.

V3.1 is a stepping stone for us as we finished the ui to data changes and our ability to move data aroud efficiently. The next release is focused primarily on user level features and less infrastructure

i hope that helps. We do have plans and it is on our roadmap..

Robbie
  • LEn-OperatorLEn-Operator Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2009
    In general, it occurs to me that, as lighting and video continue to mush together, there's an increasing demand to get video assets and control interfaces to cooperate with each other. Apple OS will surely need to be a part of the picture in my mind, since much video editing and compression is Apple-centric.
    Now that Barco and HES are together ... and all recent HES fixtures entries have been of a video or pixel mapping nature, it seems logical to me that their control platform be evolving alongside the other products. Is the logical next evolution of Wholehog not a significant step toward real video control?

All the HES fixture entries of a video nature are windows based MediaServers
    The best and most powerfull MediaServer I know is the HippotizerHD v3..
    There ain't a MAC based Server that can tip on Hippo's speed and ease..
    Hippo uses onboard chip programming of it's output cards.. Which makes it so fast.. I use Catalyst now for over 4 years and I'm very happy with it, but it's realy not as fast and easy to use as a Hippo...
    Another power of windows is their SLI technology.. That's way better integrated in DirectX than in Mac.. DirectX is not only there for the games, now a days you have the aero stuff in windows which is rendered by DirectX and also my WYG screens are redered by it.. And what do you need in a mediaserver not compressing and not editing the video.. Playback the video and alter it's looks.. So basicly rendering new images constantly..
    That's the only thing I don't like of mac..
    And as much as I like Mac.. I think it's not the right thing for now.. As Robbie already said, it takes too much time in a lot of area's.. (Testing Developing Service etc)
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited November 2009
    As a side note with catalyst, 10.6 brought a massive speed boost to the graphics and the playback of video. It now roughly gets twice the performance of what a 10.5 machine did. Its all in the hard drives though. There are still a lot of catalyst systems that aren't using SSD's which degrades the performance massively.
  • LEn-OperatorLEn-Operator Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2009
    That's true! SSD is a part of the solution.. I'm waiting for hologram technology.. That's gonna be fast.. But untill then I hope the output cards can keep up with all the data a processor can get from a SSD drive... And ofcourse all the side effects warmth and stuff.. I hope they can manage!
  • MarcSMarcS Registered User
    edited November 2009
    I would love to see as soon as possible a iPhone Remote App!
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited November 2009
  • MarcSMarcS Registered User
    edited November 2009
    stephlight wrote: »

No, i mean a remote directly to the Console via W-Lan like the Grandma Remote. I tried the Snatch Remote, but its not very usefull if i need to do
    a Network via Laptop to the Console.
    edited November 2009
    MAC please windows is dead Marty
    edited November 2009
    nibor wrote: »
    MAC please windows is dead Marty

Yeah...sure....right..........a quote I am fond of using is:
    "You cannot win an argument with a fool who is not burdened with the facts".

If you really want to have a rational discussion on the pros and cons of both PCs and Macs....feel free to e-mail me privately....I won't take the bait and turn this thread into something different. ;)
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2009
    Excited for the release for the Mac Connectivity app for ESP Vision!

Thanks
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited December 2009
    While I am a huge Apple fanboy and Mac convert - and would always be happy to see more Mac-native lighting applications - I can't logically argue that Mac development should currently supersede Windows development or that Windows is in any way a dead platform.

With approximately 90% of the active PC users in the world and a much broader range of available hardware, many more people are still likely to have Windows machines. In addition, tablet PCs and more configurable laptop solutions (versus Apple's product line) are in many cases more robust or economical solutions for things like RFUs and backup machines.

PG
  • Meh 626Meh 626 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    I would love to see a native Mac OS X application. Would save all the hassle of running 3PC software in a virtual machine plus the costs of software and licences.
  • GDiluminacionGDiluminacion Registered User
    edited February 2010
    We need a mac version... !!!

GF